U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2012, 11:21 AM
 
5,654 posts, read 5,623,479 times
Reputation: 2869

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
So the turn the other cheek thing is trumped by the TOS.

Rofl!!
What? If someone assaults me, according to you, I am not to call the police, but "turn the other cheek". lol

Reporting her for her hateful personal attack has nothing to do with that verse.

 
Old 09-08-2012, 11:21 AM
 
6,967 posts, read 5,422,094 times
Reputation: 2769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I was thinking about this today. I have never met a really upbeat, positive, happy go luck atheist. Almost every one that I have encountered is doom and gloom, extremely cynical and generally miserable. Has anyone ever met a really happy atheist? If so, tell me about him/her. Thanks
I've met miserably unhappy people of all faiths/non-faith. I've also met joyful, positive, upbeat people of all faiths/non-faith. Your question is blatantly ignorant.

Another troll thread....
 
Old 09-08-2012, 11:22 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,176,735 times
Reputation: 11619
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Hey genius, the burden of proof is on the one making a positive claim. That's you if the words are too big to follow.

So since you claim god exists, you need to prove it. You can't.

Being logical, as most agnostic atheists are, I will totally admit it is not possible to prove a negative. OTOH logic alone suggests the lack of a personal deity.
There is no proof that God does or doesn't exist. Hence why it's called faith and believing. I believe that God exists, can I prove it? No, I can't, other than the fact that I can say that I believe He exists. On the other hand, can you prove that God doesn't exist? You can't, either. We can speculate and hypothesize all day, all night, for the rest of our lives and we won't get anywhere, much like arguing are Democrats or Republicans better than the other
 
Old 09-08-2012, 11:22 AM
 
5,654 posts, read 5,623,479 times
Reputation: 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
BTW - I'm not an atheist. I'm agnostic. There are certain things that science can't explain and, because of it, I do not pretend to know that there is not any supreme being. That being said, there is also no proof that there is.

I see militant atheists as annoying. That being said, so are militant religious people.
I agree with both statements.
 
Old 09-08-2012, 11:23 AM
 
10,606 posts, read 12,140,984 times
Reputation: 6500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
How so? Tell me about a real person that is usually joyful versus a "fake" one.

OK, there are several people I run into in the course of my day at work, for example. A few of these people I have known for years (for the record, I don't know if they are atheists or religious). They seem to think that plastering a smile on their face and answering "FANTASTIC" everytime you ask them "how are you?" is some way to promote some outward image of positivity. Maybe they read too many self-help books that tell them that if you just ACT happy you'll BE happy. Who knows? But it is so obviously fake.

And then there are the people that I interact with that are truly happy and joyous. It eminates from inside them. It's not contrived or controlled. It's infectious. Again, don't know what their religious beliefs are.

One thing you should keep in mind about those dreaded atheists is that what they all seem to have in common to me is a highly analytical thought process. You may be perceiving this as cynical. I'm not saying that religious people are NOT analytical or they don't think--that's not my intention to say that although some will probably jump on me for that. What I've found is that atheists don't take anything at face value, they don't believe something "just because" or just because they were immersed in something through their childhoods. Most of them started out with a religious background and, due to their analytical (and sometimes cynical--SKEPTICAL OF THE MOTIVATIONS OF OTHERS) natures examined the whole thing THOROUGHLY to come to their conclusions.
 
Old 09-08-2012, 11:24 AM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,334,945 times
Reputation: 13682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I was thinking about this today. I have never met a really upbeat, positive, happy go luck atheist. Almost every one that I have encountered is doom and gloom, extremely cynical and generally miserable. Has anyone ever met a really happy atheist? If so, tell me about him/her. Thanks
You need to get out more
 
Old 09-08-2012, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Murika
2,526 posts, read 2,600,158 times
Reputation: 1919
How, exactly, do you know that people are atheists when you encounter them.

Personally, I have no idea what identifying marks would give them away but perhaps you have developed some skill that the rest of us are lacking?
 
Old 09-08-2012, 11:24 AM
 
16,598 posts, read 14,078,554 times
Reputation: 20562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
What? If someone assaults me, according to you, I am not to call the police, but "turn the other cheek". lol

Reporting her for her hateful personal attack has nothing to do with that verse.
How original, a religious cherry picker.

Maybe you should educate yourself about your savior. You appear to be woefully ignorant. I would start with a little Matthew then some Luke.
 
Old 09-08-2012, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,529 posts, read 25,024,944 times
Reputation: 7739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Almost every one that I have encountered is doom and gloom, extremely cynical and generally miserable.
Funny. That sounds like the average Romney supporter to me.
 
Old 09-08-2012, 11:25 AM
 
5,654 posts, read 5,623,479 times
Reputation: 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I absolutely have, I've met many many peaceful and content atheists. Back in parts of Czech Republic, a country with one of the highest rates of atheism in the world. Also in other parts of Central/Eastern Europe and even here in the States.

Tell you about them? Tell you what exactly? They work, they live their lives and try to do right and be good to others. Well, they're just like you and me! Many are heavily involved in various charity organizations.

They don't do good because "Jesus tells them to" but because they want to. I know more atheists who abide by their morals than religious people.

Some of the most miserable people I've ever met have been the in-your-face Christians, here in the good ole USA.

These are just my experiences
Thanks for your well thought out post. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top