Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:25 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I'll tell you what. Your personal attack is a violation of the TOS. I'll give you five minutes to delete it. If you don't I will report it to a mod. I will not tolerate your unprovoked hate. Your call.
How joyful.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:26 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Funny. That sounds like the average Romney supporter to me.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:26 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
I was thinking about this today. I have never met a really upbeat, positive, happy go luck atheist. Almost every one that I have encountered is doom and gloom, extremely cynical and generally miserable. Has anyone ever met a really happy atheist? If so, tell me about him/her. Thanks

I'm not sure really, when I meet someone I don't ask them if they believe in God or not. If we like each other great, we become friends, have fun together and enjoy each other's company. It is NOT a requirement of those I like to play 20 questions before I decide if I like them as a human or not.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:27 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There is no proof that God does or doesn't exist. Hence why it's called faith and believing. I believe that God exists, can I prove it? No, I can't, other than the fact that I can say that I believe He exists. On the other hand, can you prove that God doesn't exist? You can't, either. We can speculate and hypothesize all day, all night, for the rest of our lives and we won't get anywhere, much like arguing are Democrats or Republicans better than the other
Your faith is completely your business.

I have no interest in disproving god as I have no belief in a deities existence one way or the other. I think the OP could learn a little logic and reason with regard to knowledge versus belief by reading your post. It's very well reasoned.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:28 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Hey genius, the burden of proof is on the one making a positive claim. That's you if the words are too big to follow.

So since you claim god exists, you need to prove it. You can't.

Being logical, as most agnostic atheists are, I will totally admit it is not possible to prove a negative. OTOH logic alone suggests the lack of a personal deity.
Agnostics =/= atheists

Old 09-08-2012, 11:29 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Hey genius, the burden of proof is on the one making a positive claim. That's you if the words are too big to follow.

So since you claim god exists, you need to prove it. You can't.

Being logical, as most agnostic atheists are, I will totally admit it is not possible to prove a negative. OTOH logic alone suggests the lack of a personal deity.
I love the fact that the irony of your post and the thread title is completely lost on you. Condescending? Check Angry? Check Hateful? Check Intolerant? Check

Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Agnostics =/= atheists
You should read up about words when you use them.

Agnostic is a position on KNOWLEDGE of a deity froth Greek gnostos meaning to know.

Atheist is a position of BELIEF. Thus atheism means without belief.

I am an atheist because I lack belief in deities. I am an agnostic because my position is that it is fundamentally impossible to KNOW anything about deities.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:33 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
I'll tell you what. Your personal attack is a violation of the TOS. I'll give you five minutes to delete it. If you don't I will report it to a mod. I will not tolerate your unprovoked hate. Your call.
So, let me get this straight. In your OP you infer than an entire group of millions of people is "doom and gloom, extremely cynical and generally miserable" and then go on to say that ONLY CHRISTIANS can possibly feel joy (leaving out more than half of the WORLD full of Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and yes, atheists). You feel that is ok. But when I point out that you display those traits (as evidence by this thread), it's a personal attack and hate?

The love of Jesus sure is being reflected positively in you.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I love the fact that the irony of your post and the thread title is completely lost on you. Condescending? Check Angry? Check Hateful? Check Intolerant? Check
Condescending? absolutely!!

Amused at the irony of your position? Absolutely!!!

Angry? Just because you say so? Uh no.

You are the one who is so angry you are threatening to report people. That is the definition of ANGRY reaction.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:35 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
OK, there are several people I run into in the course of my day at work, for example. A few of these people I have known for years (for the record, I don't know if they are atheists or religious). They seem to think that plastering a smile on their face and answering "FANTASTIC" everytime you ask them "how are you?" is some way to promote some outward image of positivity. Maybe they read too many self-help books that tell them that if you just ACT happy you'll BE happy. Who knows? But it is so obviously fake.

And then there are the people that I interact with that are truly happy and joyous. It eminates from inside them. It's not contrived or controlled. It's infectious. Again, don't know what their religious beliefs are.

One thing you should keep in mind about those dreaded atheists is that what they all seem to have in common to me is a highly analytical thought process. You may be perceiving this as cynical. I'm not saying that religious people are NOT analytical or they don't think--that's not my intention to say that although some will probably jump on me for that. What I've found is that atheists don't take anything at face value, they don't believe something "just because" or just because they were immersed in something through their childhoods. Most of them started out with a religious background and, due to their analytical (and sometimes cynical--SKEPTICAL OF THE MOTIVATIONS OF OTHERS) natures examined the whole thing THOROUGHLY to come to their conclusions.
Thanks for your well thought out post. I appreciate it. P.S. I don't think atheists are "dreaded" in any way shape or form. I am no better or worse then they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies