Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:35 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I was thinking about this today. I have never met a really upbeat, positive, happy go luck atheist. Almost every one that I have encountered is doom and gloom, extremely cynical and generally miserable. Has anyone ever met a really happy atheist? If so, tell me about him/her. Thanks
Are you seriously suggesting that one's beliefs should always maximize one's own pleasure? Seriously? Is that the way that Jesus lived his life?

Honestly!

7,214 posts, read 9,392,359 times
Yes, I'm a Christian, but used to have an atheist work at our company (only knew he was because he talked to me about it one day). He had been raised Catholic, but eventually decided he was an atheist while he was in high school. He was a very nice guy, well adjusted, funny, etc.

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You should read up about words when you use them.

Agnostic is a position on KNOWLEDGE of a deity froth Greek gnostos meaning to know.

Atheist is a position of BELIEF. Thus atheism means without belief.

I am an atheist because I lack belief in deities. I am an agnostic because my position is that it is fundamentally impossible to KNOW anything about deities.
You are very correct and the term "agnostic" can apply to anything....not merely a belief in deities. That being said, I don't think it's possible to be both agnostic (when speaking of a belief in deities) and atheist, unless you would also argue that it's possible to be agnostic and Christian or agnostic and Muslim, etc.

If you don't know something about something and you know you don't know it, you don't believe anything about it.

This is just my opinion.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:36 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
If you believe in God, you may as well believe in the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, and Santa Claus. There's just as much evidence to prove that they exist. Maybe they even all live together in a yellow submarine. And why not? Using the logic of the believers, anything can be true if you just imagine that it is.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:37 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Funny. That sounds like the average Romney supporter to me.
Is everything republican versus democrat with you? There are conservative atheists and liberal deists. Not everything has to be an us vs them.

1,976 posts, read 2,352,507 times
Quote:
I was thinking about this today. I have never met a really upbeat, positive, happy go luck atheist. Almost every one that I have encountered is doom and gloom, extremely cynical and generally miserable. Has anyone ever met a really happy atheist? If so, tell me about him/her. Thanks
I've met a few. They don't have the financial burden of supporting the religion business. One less bill makes everyone happy. The happiest people I've met who consume religion have been Buddhists.

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
It's wonderful knowing that a sinner like me who fails my spouse, children and God, on an almost daily basis is loved unconditionally by God. He loves you too; there is nothing that you can do to make God not love you. He only asks that you return the favor, but even if you don't he's still waiting for you with open arms. He loves you.
And this god thingie... got any proof?
I feel the same way about my garden gnome.

What favor, my gnome needs no favors.

Quote:
I'll tell you what. Your personal attack is a violation of the TOS. I'll give you five minutes to delete it. If you don't I will report it to a mod. I will not tolerate your unprovoked hate. Your call.
You started a thread against atheists.
I mean, isn't that kind of like trolling?

Quote:
Prove it. If you can't, I admire your faith.
You're the one making the positive assertion.
You're the one saying that a god thing exists.
It is incumbent upon you to prove it.

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
I am no better or worse then they are.
Yes you are.

You can't even tell reality from fiction

Old 09-08-2012, 11:38 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Yes, I'm a Christian, but used to have an atheist work at our company (only knew he was because he talked to me about it one day). He had been raised Catholic, but eventually decided he was an atheist while he was in high school. He was a very nice guy, well adjusted, funny, etc.

Catholic is an eaSY RELIGION TO WALK AWAY FROM.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:38 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If you believe in God, you may as well believe in the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, and Santa Claus. There's just as much evidence to prove that they exist. Maybe they even all live together in a yellow submarine. And why not? Using the logic of the believers, anything can be true if you just imagine that it is.
I would say the beliefs are a bit different. There are things that can't be explained about the universe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies