Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 06:50 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Just as I thought: govt. lemme let you in on a secret---govt is notorious nepotism and discrimination. Bc it's not the hiring bureaucrats' money that's at stake.
The question is why do test scores and standards have to be lowered for African-Americans?

Are they not intelligent enough? Do they not have the drive and will to make their lives better or their children's lives better?

How many decades are African-Americans going to blame whites for their failings?

The government spent trillions upon trillions of dollars to make the African-American plight better but in 2012 as per the African-American community their plight is worse then ever.

Could it be that immigrants see through the smoke and mirrors excuses used by the African-American community and see them for what the majority really are?

Old 09-08-2012, 06:52 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,398 times
I'm a libertarian and a blasian.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:55 PM

Congratulations, I'm a Secessionist and German-English-American.

(Lets watch the accusations fly that I'm a skinhead).....

Old 09-08-2012, 06:56 PM

219 posts, read 922,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Blacks are discriminated the world over, whether in Southeast Asia, India, Russia, Mexico, etc. I do think shows like Cops make immigrants think black people are all criminals, and it probably doesn't help so many Koreans, Chinese & Arabs open up shops and restaurants in the ghetto to give them that perception.
White Western culture has been the main influence on the World for the last 500 years. From Latin America to East Asia. Just like the technological innovations of the Western world the typical prejudices have also been adopted by most the world. This is why non American "Africans" who are like any other immigrant group (who actually tend to be more educated actually) even face oppression in these other countries in Asia.

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
I have several immigrant friends. In fact, one of the nicest women I know, and a very dear friend, is a Korean. I think much defends on socio-economics and exposure. I have found, generally, the lower the class, the higher the incidence of racism. Most affluent people don't need to denigrate others to feel good. They have also had enough exposure to educated black Americans to realize we are not all the same. But, I am certainly not suggesting there are no racists among that group.

However, from my experience, the most racist people have been immigrants and white Americans from the lower-class, with the exception of some black immigrants from Africa, which is a totally different issue. This group generally lacks exposure to educated, middle/upper class black Americans. So naturally, their opinions are based on the low-class black Americans they frequently encounter, ignorant gansta so-called music videos, degrading movies and TV programs, and well-established negative stereotypes. Frankly, the most racism I experience is on this forum.

567 posts, read 1,119,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This is true also. The "step on my brother to look good to master" routine.
That's what happened with Irish immigrants in the 1850s onward. American-style racism was alien to Irish culture, but then Irish immigrants in northern industrial cities began turning on blacks that had left the South. Partly because of competition for jobs, partly because of the phenomenon you describe. There's a good book called "How the Irish Became White." Earlier in the 19th century, eugenicists considered the Irish to basically be on the same (bottom) level as blacks.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:02 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Congratulations, I'm a Secessionist and German-English-American.

(Lets watch the accusations fly that I'm a skinhead).....
I'm a centrist and a Blatino. Are you a skinhead? What state do you want to secede?

Old 09-08-2012, 07:03 PM

Why is it blacks have a bad reputation in America and not in Brazil (which had many more imported black slaves) or other countries that bought slaves from other Africans?

Old 09-08-2012, 07:04 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Why is it blacks have a bad reputation in America and not in Brazil (which had many more imported black slaves) or other countries that bought slaves from other Africans?
Not that you would know this, but blacks have it worse in Brazil by every measure than they have it here.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Not that you would know this, but blacks have it worse in Brazil by every measure than they have it here.
Yeah, even though they consider themselves to be Brazilian....

Black Brazilians rarely use the American-style phrase "African Brazilian" to categorise themselves, and never in informal discourse: the IBGE's July 1998 PME shows that, of Black Brazilians, only about 10% consider themselves of "African origin"; most of them identify as having a "Brazilian origin"

Afro-Brazilian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here in America the still consider themselves Africans first and Americans second after almost 200 years....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies