Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:40 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times

Advertisements

My recollection is that the great industrialist Henry Ford aspired to build the Model T so that his own employees could afford one. He hypothesized, rightly I think, that consumption by the middle class is the foundation for all material wealth in an economy. I think this mentality has been lost in recent decades. You can have corporate profits through the roof and the stock market soaring, but when the middle class incomes are eroded and they cannot consume, the whole thing comes crashing down.

The trend for at least three decades has been to move wealth from the middle class to the wealthiest classes. It has undermined our economy. Tax cuts for billionaires make perfect sense if the billionaire are buying influence in our political system. It makes no sense if we want to rebuild our economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:43 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,670 times
But both parties push consumption as the key to a healthy economy. The only alternative is saving. Our savings dropped like a rock since Greenspan.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
But both parties push consumption as the key to a healthy economy. The only alternative is saving. Our savings dropped like a rock since Greenspan.
You bring up a very good point. Overconsumption is very bad. Neither Bush nor Greenspan recognized the signs of debt-fueled consumption, which was a ticking time bomb. I don't blame Bush for that-he had other things to think about. I do blame Greenspan.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
My recollection is that the great industrialist Henry Ford aspired to build the Model T so that his own employees could afford one. He hypothesized, rightly I think, that consumption by the middle class is the foundation for all material wealth in an economy. I think this mentality has been lost in recent decades. You can have corporate profits through the roof and the stock market soaring, but when the middle class incomes are eroded and they cannot consume, the whole thing comes crashing down.

The trend for at least three decades has been to move wealth from the middle class to the wealthiest classes. It has undermined our economy. Tax cuts for billionaires make perfect sense if the billionaire are buying influence in our political system. It makes no sense if we want to rebuild our economy.
Your recollection would be wrong, as usual.

Henry Ford aspired to build model T's so he could become wealthy, he paid his employees more than the prevailing wage at the time because his average employee lasted 3 months and he was paying a fortune in retraining costs. By increasing wages, he cut his own costs and made himself richer..

If you think creating a business and paying their employees 2-3 times the prevailing wage, please start a business and let me know how that works out for you..

Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
He understood that wealth = power.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
He understood that wealth = power.
He also understood something that it seems most left wing kooks on this site doesnt understand, which is one can not get wealthy without employees. I have yet to ever hear of a billionaire that didnt have tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of employees working for them.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:07 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Your recollection would be wrong, as usual.

Henry Ford aspired to build model T's so he could become wealthy, he paid his employees more than the prevailing wage at the time because his average employee lasted 3 months and he was paying a fortune in retraining costs. By increasing wages, he cut his own costs and made himself richer..

If you think creating a business and paying their employees 2-3 times the prevailing wage, please start a business and let me know how that works out for you..
Nope, you are wrong:

"In the rancorous debate over how to get the sluggish economy moving, we have forgotten the wisdom of Henry Ford. In 1914, not long after the Ford Motor Company came out with the Model T, Ford made the startling announcement that he would pay his workers the unheard-of wage of $5 a day.

Not only was it a matter of social justice, Ford wrote, but paying high wages was also smart business. When wages are low, uncertainty dogs the marketplace and growth is weak. But when pay is high and steady, Ford asserted, business is more secure because workers earn enough to become good customers. They can afford to buy Model Ts."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/03/op...sts-cared.html

Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Nope, you are wrong:

"In the rancorous debate over how to get the sluggish economy moving, we have forgotten the wisdom of Henry Ford. In 1914, not long after the Ford Motor Company came out with the Model T, Ford made the startling announcement that he would pay his workers the unheard-of wage of $5 a day.
Ford.com says I'm correct.

Henry Ford's $5-a-Day Revolution - Press Release

While Henry's primary objective was to reduce worker attrition—labor turnover from monotonous assembly line work was high—newspapers from all over the world reported the story as an extraordinary gesture of goodwill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Not only was it a matter of social justice, Ford wrote, but paying high wages was also smart business. When wages are low, uncertainty dogs the marketplace and growth is weak. But when pay is high and steady, Ford asserted, business is more secure because workers earn enough to become good customers. They can afford to buy Model Ts."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/03/op...sts-cared.html
Wrong again, newspapers reported that it was a matter of social justice, but to Ford, it was smart business because TURNOVER COSTS exceeded the cost to pay his employees more because one of the qualifications was that the employee had to stay 6 months, which was twice the attrition rate he had prior to the new wage. By time they qualified for $5 a day, Ford had already pocketed $2600 in savings. He didnt state that it was to assure his employees could become customers until many many years later.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
He also understood something that it seems most left wing kooks on this site doesnt understand, which is one can not get wealthy without employees. I have yet to ever hear of a billionaire that didnt have tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of employees working for them.
Ever heard of Warren Buffett?

Oh, and thanks for clarifying the wage issue. I spaced that. I am not saying Ford's model would work today, but the notion that the worker needs a certain wage level to be able to support consumption is just a recognition of the fact that the health of the many supports the wealth of the few over the long haul. And when the few move from being faciliators of broad-based wealth creation to parisitizing their own citizenry, collapse is not far away. Our corporate class has become a bunch of pirates, not the masterminds of a macroeconomic system.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Ford.com says I'm correct.

Henry Ford's $5-a-Day Revolution - Press Release

While Henry's primary objective was to reduce worker attrition—labor turnover from monotonous assembly line work was high—newspapers from all over the world reported the story as an extraordinary gesture of goodwill.

Wrong again, newspapers reported that it was a matter of social justice, and to Ford, it was smart business because TURNOVER COSTS exceeded the cost to pay his employees more. He didnt state that it was to assure his employees could become customers until much, much later..
Really?

"We believe," said Mr. Ford, "in making 20,000 men prosperous and contented rather than follow the plan of making a few slave-drivers in our establishment of multi-millionaires.

Mr. Ford refused to be further interviewed by press reporters on the subject, contenting himself with the above statement and a wave of his hand and saying, "We believe social justice begins at home."

"If we are obliged," said Mr. Ford, "to lay men off for want of sufficient work at any season, we propose so to plan our year's work that the lay-off shall be in the harvest time, July, August, and September, not in the winter . . . No man will be discharged if we can help it, except for unfaithfulness or inefficiency. No foreman in the Ford Company has the power to discharge a man. He may send him out of his department if he does not make good. The man is then sent to our 'clearing house,' covering all the departments, and is repeatedly tried in other work until we find the job he is suited for, provided he is honestly trying to render good service."

American Flint, 1913

Last edited by helenejen; 09-07-2012 at 09:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies