Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 07:43 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,264,687 times

Advertisements

What do I care? He just ATTENDS a church. He is NOT about his church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 PM

23,885 posts, read 32,184,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I never said Obama was a muslim.. let's get that straight. Obama sat in a church of Black Liberation Theology.. and his pastor Reverend Wright also has ties with Farrakhan.
So? Who cares? We may have had atheist or agnostic presidents.Or presidents with doubts about God. We will never know because this country is so fanatical about religion that no one would admit such a thing.

Obama was raised a United Methodist - not exactly an exotic religion.

He and his wife attended the church that those with political aspirations who are black attend. Sounds normal to me.

That church was United Church of Christ. A church with roots in the puritan movement.

Obama is a POLITICIAN. He is not a THEOLOGIAN. Nor is he a pastor or a priest.

Really, who the hell cares?

Old 09-10-2012, 07:45 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,315,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't know where he went to church in NYC when he attended Columbia. I don't think he went to such a place since he was high on mary jane too much of the time.
Really - REALLY - dumb post!!

Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,824,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
So? Who cares? We may have had atheist or agnostic presidents.Or presidents with doubts about God. We will never know because this country is so fanatical about religion that no one would admit such a thing.

Obama was raised a United Methodist - not exactly an exotic religion.

He and his wife attended the church that those with political aspirations who are black attend. Sounds normal to me.

That church was United Church of Christ. A church with roots in the puritan movement.

Obama is a POLITICIAN. He is not a THEOLOGIAN. Nor is he a pastor or a priest.

Really, who the hell cares?
Taratova doesn't really care if Obama is a Christian or a Moonie. His real crime is he's a DEMOCRAT.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 PM

33,510 posts, read 18,006,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, he is your favorite because in your opinion he can creation jobs. And Obama sucks because he is not a good enough Christian. Do you see anything wrong with this view? You go on about how important Christian faith is in the candidate, only come back to say that it is really irrelevalnt as long as the candidate is a Republican. LOL. Well, there is it.....
Obama is a divider. I have seen that quite well and he is doing a fabulous job. I see the blacks call Herman Cane an oreo. I have learned alot about how the democrats operate.

We are called racists if we even say one thing about Obama. Even Clinton was called a racist. Obama gave the finger to Hillary . I get the picture.

I get Obama. He doesn't want to create jobs.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 PM

76,946 posts, read 47,265,132 times
Quote:
We are called racists if we even say one thing about Obama. Even Clinton was called a racist. Obama gave the finger to Hillary . I get the picture.
You are the only one on this thread who has repeatedly called anyone racist. You are calling Obama a racist because of something a guy names Cone said in NY.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,383,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Really - REALLY - dumb post!!
And THAT wasn't the only one.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:51 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,017,982 times
Quote:
Obama is a divider.
So is the current GOP party, as was proven by the RNC.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:52 PM

33,510 posts, read 18,006,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Taratova doesn't really care if Obama is a Christian or a Moonie. His real crime is he's a DEMOCRAT.
No. Obama is so far left it is in dangerous territory. I get the picture of what Obama is doing. His upbringing and his choices of who to be his mentor makes up what Obama is. That is ok. I am prepared for what will happen to this country if Obama's agenda goes further in the next four years.

I believe JFK was a great president and he was oh my... a democrat. I actually never thrilled over Reagan.

So it really isn't even Republican or Democrat . it is what they stand for in the present.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:52 PM

27,898 posts, read 29,722,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I know nothing about Mormonism, other than they have a good choir in Utah.
Well, thanks for that. Yes, it is a very "good choir."

Quote:
Is it true that Mormons believe in multiple gods? Is there one supreme god and other lesser gods?
Some people accuse us of being polytheistic, and this is probably because we do not accept the creedal definitions of God (i.e. the Nicene Creed, the Athanasian Creed, etc.). We definitely do believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ and in the Holy Ghost, but we see them as being physically distinct from one another. We see their unity as being a "oneness of will, purpose, power and glory," but not of "substance." We believe that the Father, Son and Holy Ghost share the name of "God" and function as "God," working together as "one," in a state of absolute harmony and perfect unity. We believe that all three existed "in the beginning", i.e. at the time our universe was created. We believe the Father to be the supreme member of the Godhead, the Son (or the Word) to be our Savior and Redeemer, and the Holy Ghost to be the comforter and revelator. Because we see them as three individuals, each of whom can rightfully be called "God," people say we believe in multiple gods. We also believe that the Father is the "supreme God," which is exactly what the Bible teaches.

Quote:
Where are people getting all this information about blacks, etc.?
Probably from anti-Mormon websites. For a number of years, the LDS Church held what I believe to have been a doctrine rooted in racism: Black men were not permitted to hold the Church's lay priesthood. (They actually were able to do so during the early years of Mormonism, but there were many years when a ban was in place.) During the period of time when they could not hold the priesthood, Blacks were allowed to join the Church, and never in our 182-year history have we had segregated congregations. A big part of the reason the early Mormons were driven out of Missouri was that they were so opposed to slavery; obviously, in a southern state, this didn't go over well. Still, the policy -- while it existed -- can only be described as discriminatory. At any rate, the ban was lifted in 1978, and since then, Blacks have had every single solitary right and privilege in the Church as Whites. Interracial marriage is also accepted.

As far as Blacks being considered "cursed angels" or anything of the sort, this is not what we believe. And during the years when many Christians justified their horrible behavior towards Black people by saying that they didn't have a human soul, the LDS Church never taught this. As a matter of fact, Joseph Smith, founder of the Church, once stated his opinion about Black people, and pointed out that the only reason that they were not as culturally and intellectually advanced as Whites was the lack of opportunity. (This would have been in the 1830s, by the way.) "Change their situation with the whites," he said, "and they would be like them." The racist policy began with Brigham Young, who was unfortunately a product of his culture and apparently didn't rise above it in this regard.

Quote:
How is Mormonism different from "other" Christian religions? Is there no difference?
There are many differences between Mormonism and other Christian denominations, but there are also a great many similarities. Here's what I can tell you about what Mormons believe about Jesus Christ specifically. There is not, in this list of 20 key items, a single statement that is in opposition to the beliefs of traditional Christians.

1. He was the Only Begotten Son of God.
2. He was with His Father "in the beginning."
3. Under His Father's direction, He was the Creator of our universe.
4. His birth was prophesied of by the Old Testament prophets.
5. He was conceived by and born to a virgin in the small middle-eastern village of Bethlehem.
6. He lived a perfect life, never once sinning.
7. At about 30 years of age, He began His roughly three-year earthly ministry.
8. He taught a gospel of love, mercy, charity and forgiveness.
9. He called and ordained twelve men to be His "Apostles."
10. He performed many miracles, such as feeding several thousand with a few fish and a few loaves of bread, turning water into wine, calming the elements by merely saying, "Peace, be still," walking on water, giving sight to the blind, healing the lame, curing the leper, and even bringing a man who had been dead for days back to life.
11. He told His Apostles that He was going to establish His Church.
12. He was denied three times by one of His Apostles and betrayed to His enemies by another.
13. He suffered excruciating pain on our behalf, taking upon Himself our sins that we might be forgiven of them and allowed Himself to be tortured to death to save us.
14. He forgave even those who put Him to death.
15. His body lay in a borrowed tomb for three days after His death, after which time, He took it up again and was the first individual ever to be resurrected.
16. He appeared as a resurrected being to His Apostles and to several woman disciples on what has come to be known as the first "Easter."
17. He spent an additional forty days among His Apostles and disciples before then ascending into Heaven where He reigns at His Father's side today.
18. He will someday return to the Earth to reign for a thousand years.
19. When that time comes, He will stand with us as we appear before God to be judged, and will be our Mediator.
20. Because of His unimaginable love for us, He has made it possible for each of us to be resurrected and to live forever in the presence of God.

Basically, the reason for our existance can be summed up as follows: We believe that Jesus Christ established His Church as a part of His ministry. We believe that after His death and the deaths of His Apostles, men changed that Church. We believe that He has reestablished it in this day and age.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-10-2012 at 08:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies