Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times

Advertisements

GnT - perhaps everyone reached similar conclusions because they were the correct conclusions given the limited evidence.

I was at work and when I heard the news I was not surprised and said to myself, "took 'em long enough." I had been expecting the Islamic crazies to do it since 1980's. The WTC buildings were an obvious target and aircraft an obvious means although I did not expect them to use airplanes loaded with passengers. I was startled by the collapse of the first tower but upon thinking about the perimeter shell construction and the total lack of fire control the straight down collapse was obvious. The collapse of the second tower was only a matter of time.

Our response was completely puzzling until I heard about Husain’s attempt to trade oil in Euro’s and the mutual hatred between him and the Saudi King. As the Bushes were lifetime buddies with the Saudis our attack on Hussein was easily explained. Even leaving bin Laden alive for so long made sense. The Shrub simply could not attack his personal friends or their children even if most of the attackers were Saudi. But any excuse for a WAR is better than none if you can use it to kill an enemy of your friends. Living well is the only victory over terrorism.

I was, again, reminded that life is fleeting and can be snuffed out at any time. So take a moment to remember the dead, the heroes, the innocent and all the uninvolved Iraqi’s that had nothing to do with this attack. Then get on with your lives and live as well as you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 08:16 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
I was 13 and in science class in 8th grade. My teacher's cell phone rang, and then his room phone with his wife trying to get in touch with him. At that time, people weren't as connected as they are now so it was VERY strange that the phones were ringing. The teacher turned on our TV and we were glued to it. My next 2 classes were with the same teacher in a room very much like a bunker - they shoved the gifted social studies and language arts classes in a room that used to be an office with no windows. Our small group spent the next 4 hours glued to the TV. My school did not close down, though many students were taken out by parents.

At the time, I was very interested in Middle Eastern politics, so while I was young, I knew a fair bit about the Taliban and Al Queda. I remember talking to some of my teachers about it because they were quite misinformed. There were a few people of Middle Eastern descent at my school, and they faced a lot of backlash from students and, to a lesser extent, teachers - I don't think I actually experienced any of the "oneness" much of the rest of the country felt while watching how my friends were treated by our community. I got a lot of the "Jews caused 9/11" attacks myself.

We had a family friend die in one of the planes and another who died in the towers.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,815,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you want peace and want to stand up against terrorism don't let your president pick on November 6 gut our defense system. It's not really a matter of using it. It's a matter of making others be afraid that you will.
Great post!

Old 09-11-2012, 08:22 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,543,904 times
I'll never forget. There is a picture of my cousin and I taken on the top of the WTC from September 8th, 2001. Even though I was only 12, I thoroughly remember everything.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:30 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,164,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
GnT - perhaps everyone reached similar conclusions because they were the correct conclusions given the limited evidence.

I was at work and when I heard the news I was not surprised and said to myself, "took 'em long enough." I had been expecting the Islamic crazies to do it since 1980's. The WTC buildings were an obvious target and aircraft an obvious means although I did not expect them to use airplanes loaded with passengers. I was startled by the collapse of the first tower but upon thinking about the perimeter shell construction and the total lack of fire control the straight down collapse was obvious. The collapse of the second tower was only a matter of time.

Our response was completely puzzling until I heard about Husain’s attempt to trade oil in Euro’s and the mutual hatred between him and the Saudi King. As the Bushes were lifetime buddies with the Saudis our attack on Hussein was easily explained. Even leaving bin Laden alive for so long made sense. The Shrub simply could not attack his personal friends or their children even if most of the attackers were Saudi. But any excuse for a WAR is better than none if you can use it to kill an enemy of your friends. Living well is the only victory over terrorism.

I was, again, reminded that life is fleeting and can be snuffed out at any time. So take a moment to remember the dead, the heroes, the innocent and all the uninvolved Iraqi’s that had nothing to do with this attack. Then get on with your lives and live as well as you can.

My husband called me from work and said turn on the TV. All he knew was a "plane had hit the WTC". We both thought it was a small commuter plane. I sat there in disbelief, eyes glued to the screen. It seemed like a bad science fiction movie. Then the next plane hit, then the Pentagon ..... I thought for sure the whole country was under attack. I drove up to the middle school where my daughter was - they hadn't told the kids anything that was going on. My son was a brand new freshman at a college in Westchester County. His classes were cancelled for a week since many of the Profs were from NYC. He couldn't get back to LI and I couldn't drive up there to pick him up.

Prayers for all those lost that terrible day and for the survivors and families who carry the memories of that dreadful day with them.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-11-2012 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: name calling

Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,739,775 times
I still see images of the jumping man and wonder who he was. A family just received a handwritten note left by a family member killed along with 12 other people in the building. I still think of the man who was tearfully asking anyone he saw if they knew where his daughter Jill was. I think of him a lot.
Terrorists are ignorant prehistoric tribes and we will never make peace with them.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
The kind of sicko that thinks about how terrorists can harm civilized societies. How to create chaos with little effort. How to use this imagination to create adventure stories. If you are going to ever figure out how to stop an event you first have to figure out how to create the event. Conventional security services are dreadfully short on creative thinking.

My ability to be shocked by what humans can do to each other was lost somewhere on the muddy canals of the Mekong Delta 45 years ago. I regret that loss but do not see it ever returning.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:01 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,166 times

Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 AM

399 posts, read 704,926 times
RIP, may we never forget!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies