Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:51 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,000,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Wrong. Only people named John Smith can be racist. She has an "ethnic" name, ergo, it's impossible that she can be racist
I have an "ethnic" first name - does that mean that I am exempt from the ability to be racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

78,013 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
1. That article is poorly written

2. The principle does seem to have a chip on her shoulder - maybe it's because her school performs in the lowest 15% in her state and she's tasked with improving that.

3. If you read the article you'll see that it's not about what people are or aren't eating - or how to name sandwiches - it's about this school having poor performance and the several, IMO, inept ways they're trying to improve things.
We get that it's not about what they are eating, we are just having fun with the ludicrous notion that PBJ represents "white privledge".

Granted however, that since I was a bologna eater I must be some sort of highly advanced alien race.

11,186 posts, read 6,487,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I read the article and came away with thinking this woman is anti-White which is discrimination but can't be discrimination because that only happens to non Whites.
She was a studdent of a group called Pacific Educational Group, which developed the "Courageous Conversations" program. This is on PEG's homepage and sums up what it teaches:

“At Pacific Educational Group we believe Systemic Racism is the most devastating factor contributing to the diminished capacity of all children, especially black children, to achieve at the highest levels, and contributes to the fracturing of the communities that nurture and support them.”

Pacific Educational Group

Worth a glance to see where the schools' are getting their philosophy and teaching materials.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:53 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,000,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
So we've given up in even trying to heat up the melting pot. SMH liberals truly are weird.
Nah, you got that wrong. That's not liberal ideology, that's just stupid - and the two terms are not freely interchangeable.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:54 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I have an "ethnic" first name - does that mean that I am exempt from the ability to be racist?
Depends. Have you now, or in the past, have possessed white skin that readily turns red in the sun, or have a European face? If you answer yes to this question, you might be a racist and not know it. If you answer no, you're good to go

Old 09-11-2012, 11:55 AM

20,627 posts, read 19,289,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
I read the whole article, that lady is the poster child for what's wrong with affirmative action, and also a poster child for reverse discrimination... She almost seems like a caricature.
No such thing as reverse discrimination. Discrimination will do.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:57 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,158,752 times
I had a friend from Canada, who was so poor, he had to eat lobster..... He said the other kids would pick on him, because he was so poor he had to eat lobster.

They couldn't afford to buy meat so they had to fish, and catch whatever they could. That meant lobster quite often. Must be rough.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:58 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I had a friend from Canada, who was so poor, he had to eat lobster..... He said the other kids would pick on him, because he was so poor he had to eat lobster.

They couldn't afford to buy meat so they had to fish, and catch whatever they could. That meant lobster quite often.
Ironically, buying lobster from the store isn't cheap by any means

Old 09-11-2012, 12:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
She was a studdent of a group called Pacific Educational Group, which developed the "Courageous Conversations" program. This is on PEG's homepage and sums up what it teaches:

“At Pacific Educational Group we believe Systemic Racism is the most devastating factor contributing to the diminished capacity of all children, especially black children, to achieve at the highest levels, and contributes to the fracturing of the communities that nurture and support them.”

Pacific Educational Group

Worth a glance to see where the schools' are getting their philosophy and teaching materials.
She drank the whole pitcher of koolaid then. This is the part of the article that made me think that way.
Her school has a Drum Corps that is only open to Black and Hispanic boys. When confronted about that this is what she said: (from the OP link)

“When white people do it, it is not a problem, but if it’s for kids of color, then it’s a problem?” says Gutierrez, 40, an El Paso, Texas, native whose parents were Mexican immigrants. “Break it down for me. That’s your white privilege, and your whiteness.”

Old 09-11-2012, 12:03 PM

7,795 posts, read 6,366,001 times
I demand that school cafeterias start serving bugs and rats to accommodate the 3rd world students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies