Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 PM

8,888 posts, read 5,368,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
In Chicago there are some really poor school districts. Some kids only get a solid meal at lunch. Free and reduced lunches are big way that the school systems can help those in need. Some of the kids' home environments are chaos, school is the only refuge for some.
Those teachers should be ashamed of themselves. Skipping out on those needy children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 09:26 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You have a problem with feeding children? Or is that money better spent on bullets in the Middle East?
How about neither?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:27 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think the OP asked what the food stamps and WIC coupons were for.

This is a perfect example of why the food stamp and WIC programs should be ended. Just keep the school kitchens open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

There is so much fraud going on -- people don't feed their children with the food stamps, they sell them for beer and cigarettes and drugs.
I had a friend in high school who got a free breakfast and a free lunch because her lazy freeloading sleazy mom (her mom slept around)would sell her foodstamps for beer and cigarettes. My friend wouldn't have eaten if it wasn't for the school. Sick really that taxpayers were supporting her lazy 32 year old mom who was already a grandma.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I had a friend in high school who got a free breakfast and a free lunch because her lazy freeloading sleazy mom (her mom slept around)would sell her foodstamps for beer and cigarettes. My friend wouldn't have eaten if it wasn't for the school. Sick really that taxpayers were supporting her lazy 32 year old mom who was already a grandma.
Yes -- they have to keep school cafeterias open year-round here were I live because in spite of billions of dollars the government spends on food stamps, apparently many parents are like the one you mention and see food stamps as something only for themselves and their parties, the children go hungry.

Instead of rewarding that kind of thing, just eliminate the food stamps and WIC, let mom work if she wants beer money and just accept that schools will feed everybody.

With food stamps and WIC, many kids get two meals in schools -- but go home to no food. It would not only save a whole lot of money but actually get kids three meals a day if schools just did the dinner also but end the waste of food stamps.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:52 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes -- they have to keep school cafeterias open year-round here were I live because in spite of billions of dollars the government spends on food stamps, apparently many parents are like the one you mention and see food stamps as something only for themselves and their parties, the children go hungry.

Instead of rewarding that kind of thing, just eliminate the food stamps and WIC, let mom work if she wants beer money and just accept that schools will feed everybody.

With food stamps and WIC, many kids get two meals in schools -- but go home to no food. It would not only save a whole lot of money but actually get kids three meals a day if schools just did the dinner also but end the waste of food stamps.
I would be for that. The kids should be fed but these moms who sell the food stamps can starve for all I care.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:02 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
It's not a BAD idea to give food to kids at school since that's where they are and you know it's going into their mouths. I don't think it should be part of the education budget though.

And honestly, if kids have no food and parents aren't caring for them and letting them go hungry they need to be removed from the home. We hesitate to break up families but it the only way the cycle will stop. It won't prevent new bad parents but it will cut them off at the knees. Of course then we have to figure out what to do with the kids....

Old 09-13-2012, 04:34 AM

3,405 posts, read 3,449,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's not a BAD idea to give food to kids at school since that's where they are and you know it's going into their mouths. I don't think it should be part of the education budget though.

And honestly, if kids have no food and parents aren't caring for them and letting them go hungry they need to be removed from the home. We hesitate to break up families but it the only way the cycle will stop. It won't prevent new bad parents but it will cut them off at the knees. Of course then we have to figure out what to do with the kids....
If we cut off the wic and food stamps these parents wont want to keep the kids anyways. There is nothing for them to gain by housing this kids. They will gladly give them up or kick them out.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:02 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
My school district just opens the doors in the summer and and feeds any kid who comes in. They do it for breakfast at the high school during the school year. Part of the funding comes from the feds. I think the school pays for the workers and the building, etc.

I have been on my broom for years because nobody verifies income. The school is told it can only verify income on +/- 3% of the recipients. My congressman's office called the other day to inform me that they are working on legislation that would verify income on all who apply.

Any sane person wants kids fed, no matter how their parents act. If the parents know no one is minding the store, it is easy to take advantage. Even with checking it will be hard to verify household income. With parents no longer marrying and filing joint returns, all they need to do is report the moms income.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:03 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Isn't that what welfare and food stamps are for?
I think it should be one or the other, not both. If they are going to feed kids in school, the food stamp allocation should go down.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:43 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
So basically we should throw money into a black hole?
No we should actually fix our problems. If you think those communities can't be saved then God help you. Maybe its just that the CURRENT methods aren't working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies