Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 12:23 PM

58,738 posts, read 27,080,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
To those who have issues with unions can you explain what a better alternative would be for giving workers decent wages and protecting them from abuse?
for public umions, don't allow them.

For private unions, switch to profit sharing. If you have a financial stake in the success of a business, you are less likely to do anything that diminishes your chance of more money. You WANT the business to flourish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 12:27 PM

4,096 posts, read 4,131,011 times
Quote:
What about unions is a country like China where it's well known how workers are abused and under paid. Wouldn't unions fix alot of the labor abuses we see over there? Is there a better alternative to unions for Chinese workers?
China has the biggest middle class in the world. I don't see there is a problem.

China only opened itself up in the late 70s, I think 1979. In just 30 years, it has grows into a world economic power.

The gap between the have and have not is huge, but it is closing as more and more people are moving up.

The MSM always using the US to compare to some third world country. How workers are "abuse" by making just $2 USD/day. The fact is, $2 is better than $0. $2 could get food on their table and feed their family. Nobody hold a gun to their head and face them to do it. If someone is holding a gun to their head, they don't even get pay.

You don't understand, you have to work your way up the society. It is like when I came out of college, I was making minimum wage, as I gain more experiences, I earn more money.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:30 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,427,339 times
Employee-owned businesses.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:43 PM

7,515 posts, read 11,328,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
China has the biggest middle class in the world. I don't see there is a problem.
This stuff.

Samsung in hot seat over abusing Chinese workers - Yahoo! Finance

Old 09-12-2012, 12:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,181,310 times
I think we should get rid of unions.

We need to work to guarantee equality of options for education, NOT equality of wages. Get everyone to an equal starting point, and if one person screws around and doesn't take advantage of the education available and another does, the first person should absolutely make more money. We need equality of opportunity, not equality of wages/living conditions.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:14 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,002,733 times
Quote:
To those who have issues with unions can you explain what a better alternative would be for giving workers decent wages and protecting them from abuse?
If you are asking about public unions - a better alternative would be not having one at all.
And, Ill ask the same question, who protects the taxpayer from civil worker union abuse?

Bottom line, civil workers can be replaced

Old 09-12-2012, 01:20 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,406,067 times
Quote:
They're called - contracts. Employers can hire employees under individual contract work. If the contract is broken, you go to court.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:22 PM

25,803 posts, read 16,451,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Get an education and negotiate your own salary for one. Get rid of all the crooks running the unions. The friggen mafia has been running unions for years on end.
The 1950's called and wants their factbook back

Every day you make yourself look dumber than the day before. How is that even possible?

Old 09-12-2012, 02:03 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,105,746 times
Quote:
The Free Market.

The Free Market rules. In the end, you will all bow down and get on your hands and knees and do exactly what the Free Market tells you to do. So what's the point?

Why don't you ask all of the former Zenith employees how wonderful unions are.

Resistance is futile...

Mircea

Old 09-12-2012, 02:09 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,967,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The 1950's called and wants their factbook back

Every day you make yourself look dumber than the day before. How is that even possible?
Coming from you that means I"m spot on. You have no argument against common sense realit so resort to name calling and insults. The typical tactic of the uneducated. I'm guessing even the unions won't touch you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies