Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 01:03 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
38 percent of welfare recipients are white, over 60 percent are non-white. Right there you've got a group that's about 70 percent Democrat, so welfare isn't swinging a lot of votes there. And I think poor people in most states have good tax reasons to prefer Democrats to Republicans.

Welfare Statistics | Statistic Brain

In FY 2009, white families comprised 31.2% of TANF families, black families comprised 33.3%, and 28.8% were Hispanic

Welfare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-20-2012, 01:41 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
In FY 2009, white families comprised 31.2% of TANF families, black families comprised 33.3%, and 28.8% were Hispanic

Sounds like our numbers are fairly comparable - many Hispanics are white and about 60% of welfare recipients are non-white.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:14 PM

62,944 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Sounds like our numbers are fairly comparable - many Hispanics are white and about 60% of welfare recipients are non-white.
Correction....most Hispanics in this country are a mix of white and native indian. They are considered to be minorities in this country.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:16 PM

62,944 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post

It is also true that percentage wise to their numbers the white population in this country are not the largest recipients of welfare in this country as a group.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:17 PM

Correct, dosnt mean white welfare recipiants are doing any less scamming then other races

Old 09-20-2012, 02:44 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,177 times
Had a feeling race would be involved.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:47 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
A disproportionate number of the seniors in public housing were also in public housing when they were younger.

Meanwhile, SNAP has crazy-low asset tests (2 or 3 thousand, forget which) - if a senior qualifies for it, it means they consumed more than they produced over their lifetime and are now being carried by society.

So no, if they are on either it is unlikely that they contributed more than they took out.
On the bold, wanted to say that I work in senior public housing and that is not true at all. Most of our seniors made very good money. A lot of them were actually teachers or state employees, quite a few actually worked for the housing authority - which is a federal government job, not state or local government.

We also have a large immigrant population at one of our buildings, a lot of them get social security and SNAP even though they have never even worked in this country. A younger immigrant can bring his/her parents or old aunt/uncle over here and then "abandon" them and they will be eligible for SS and public housing if they have the right paperwork.

I have spoken to a lot of our seniors and out of nearly a thousand residents, mostly black, only 3 do I know who were actual family public housing participants. Usually seniors end up in public housing due to illness, and most were working or middle class before coming to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
My bus rout goes by the projects every day. This past Friday, some old white hippie tried to encourage a voter registration drive on the bus. An older white woman, who's obviously had a "past" and I've heard her biitch about her baby daddy before, said, "Hell yea, we need to vote, Romney is going to take our isht away.". Next thing I know, this ghetto couple were laughing and nodding in agreement.

Welcome to today's America. But you know what? The sad part is these folks won't know what to do with themselves when this country bankrupts.
LOL!! I probably would have laughed too. And how do you know they were a "ghetto couple." LOL. You are very prejudiced and it is hilarious that you were surrounded by democrats - the hippie, the the white woman with a "past" and a baby dadd (lol) and the "ghetto couple." You should write comedy skits with material like that. Just because the "ghetto couple" laughed doesn't mean they agreed with what she said, they probably thought she was funny. Some people move their heads when they laugh lol. I do. You probably would think I was a "ghetto couple" if you saw me on the bus with my husband (bka my "babies daddy") and think we were on welfare. Too funny.

Quote:
But they do pay the highest state and local tax rates of all income groups.

I used to live in a state where Republicans never met a regressive tax they didn't like, so I found it difficult to vote for Republicans. Then I moved to a state where Republicans hate regressive taxes just as much as they hate progressive taxes, and I found it easy to vote for Republicans, and hard to vote for Democrats.
People on TANF more than likely aren't thinking about any taxes. Most get less than $10K per year so are exempt from most federal and state taxes anyway.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

We also have a large immigrant population at one of our buildings, a lot of them get social security and SNAP even though they have never even worked in this country. A younger immigrant can bring his/her parents or old aunt/uncle over here and then "abandon" them and they will be eligible for SS and public housing if they have the right paperwork.

I have a problem with this part. Would love to hear others opinions.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
People on TANF more than likely aren't thinking about any taxes. Most get less than $10K per year so are exempt from most federal and state taxes anyway.

Numbers posted by the Tax Foundation and similar sources tell us that the bottom quintile (which includes TANF and other households) pays a higher state and local tax rate than everybody else.

State and local taxes include, of course, sales taxes (which are notoriously hard to avoid on a daily basis and are usually regressive), income taxes (which kick in below the poverty line in a number of states), property taxes (paid directly or embedded in rent - many states tax rental property (where TANF recipients live) at higher rates than owner-occupied homes - and indirectly business taxes embedded in everything they buy. Some states even tax food.

Although TANF recipients probably pay lower taxes than non-recipients they certainly pay something.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:46 PM

Question: People with income (or, if you prefer, standard of living) equal to welfare recipients tend also to be democrats. So what's the point of this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies