Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 05:39 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
There are 49 million people on the food stamp program, spread throughout the nation. How much will it cost to open up a "pantry" in each location, staff it, transport the food from all over to each location and audit the program? All government run. You actually will need to create a whole new government agency.
Have you really thought this idea through?
It's all government, government, government to you!

Good God Almighty!

Charitable food pantries are NOT nor should they be run by the freaking government.

Get your head out of the government, for Pete's Sake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 05:41 PM

629 posts, read 945,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Every area has food pantries there is a church run one in my town. Give the money to these pantries then have the people get their food from them. That way they won't be getting junk food (which shouldn't be allowed).
Right, because the local food pantries have the capacity to handle this sort of thing (hint: they don't).

Quote:
Not one person has said why those on welfare deserve junk food. After all they didn't work to pay for it and probably didn't pay taxes. If they want junk food they need to stop watching reality tv and get a job, even if it is a fast food job.
Most adults on welfare have worked in the past and/or will work in the future.

Most PEOPLE on welfare are children.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Most of the people on food stamps ARE working, did you even know that? My family member worked for 15 years, laid off, could not find a new job for 8 months, depleted savings. His whopping $180/mo on food stamps was reduced to $120/mo once he finally got a minimum wage job.
All the people I knew on food stamps worked. Worked hard too.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:44 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Have you ever wondered what is wrong in your life, that you feel the need to limit and control how others live theirs? Your food pantry pea brained idea has been repeatedly shot down with details illustrating why it is lame brained, but you keep finding new ways to express your envy of those who use food stamps. It's very telling that you used the word 'deserve' when describing junk food - do you consider it a prize? Your posts make you look like a very twisted, envious control freak. At least, that is my opinion. YMMV.
How about H8ing you because you're attacking someone without cause?

Food pantries worked very well until the intense overuse of SNAP and other government giveaways. People aren't as likely to give to charity when they feel their tax dollars are being misused.

It really isn't rocket science.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
You liberals never fail to amuse me. You see nothing wrong with allowing those on welfare, with TAXPAYER money to buy food they don't deserve.
The idea that people don't deserve to have food--in a land of plenty, where 1/4 of food is wasted--is abhorrent to me.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:46 PM

62,865 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Right, because the local food pantries have the capacity to handle this sort of thing (hint: they don't).

Most adults on welfare have worked in the past and/or will work in the future.

Most PEOPLE on welfare are children.
Some perhaps but not all. Some just continue to have baby after baby expecting the government to feed them. Many of these kids are on welfare via their parents bad decisions in life. That doesn't tug on my heartstrings, sorry.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:54 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,413,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
How about H8ing you because you're attacking someone without cause?

Food pantries worked very well until the intense overuse of SNAP and other government giveaways. People aren't as likely to give to charity when they feel their tax dollars are being misused.

It really isn't rocket science.
You can hate me for whatever you want - based on your posts you're a real pro at it.

Food pantries are running out of food because of over demand. Explain to me how it would benefit anyone to add an extra layer of administration, including warehousing, purchasing, inventory, logistics, payroll, and a host of other expenses just so you can better control what types of food the poors have access to? It isn't rocket science, you're right - so why in the world are you pushing for overcomplicating and over administrating how people use their food stamps?

Duh.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:58 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Revising the old urban myth, I see. You left out the part where they get in a Cadillac Escalade and drive off down Martin Luther King Blvd with their Ipads glinting in the sun.

Point of fact. there are 49 million seniors in this country who live on fixed income. 50 percent of them rely on social security as their main source of income. Up to half the food stamp recipients are seniors living below the poverty line. The rest are Families with children.
In essence, these people are somebody's parents and grandparents. Are you calling them all deadbeat, abusers of the system? Or are you just targeting the 1 out of a thousand who abuse the system? If it's the latter, why do you want to limit the other 999 people to rice, beans and a chicken, twice a month?
With all due respect, You started this bruhaha, now respond to logic.
That's a lot of lobster.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Some perhaps but not all. Some just continue to have baby after baby expecting the government to feed them. Many of these kids are on welfare via their parents bad decisions in life. That doesn't tug on my heartstrings, sorry.
So let them starve or go to the workhouse?

Some of the opinion in this thread is that they don't deserve to eat cake...

Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
Why is food stamps not limited to basic items, like chicken, bread, and milk?

Why do they allow food stamps to be used to purchase stuff like lobsters?

How do you feel about someone in front of you at the cash register purchasing a shopping cart full of expensive items like lobsters, expensive seafood, premium steaks, etc. with food stamps?
Question....How do you know they were using food stamps..I find the cards look very similar to debit cards.
Next time you see that type misuse and you feel just as indignant follow them out and get their license plate and report them for food stamp fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies