Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
There are 49 million people on the food stamp program, spread throughout the nation. How much will it cost to open up a "pantry" in each location, staff it, transport the food from all over to each location and audit the program? All government run. You actually will need to create a whole new government agency.
Have you really thought this idea through?
I have thought it through.

Since the public schools and those free babysitting centers they call Head Starts have become nothing more than glorified feeding stations, just expand their kitchen hours 2 more hours for the dinner meal also.

That way the welfare kids will be given 3 free meals instead of just 2 and at least where I live, adults are invited to come eat in the schools so they can sell their food stamps for cigarettes and beer. End food stamps, just have the meals prepared and dished out in the schools instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It does **** me off as a starving student I have to put basic food items on my credit card but the guy in front of me with four kids can get sushi and $10 deli plates on his welfare card.
I was struggling years ago and I would be in line with tuna fish and peanut butter and hot dogs while the people in front of me would have lobsters, steaks and junk food. Many of them couldn't even speak English either which would annoy me. I was so mad because I was working poor but didn't qualify for food stamps while someone who did was buying things I couldn't afford.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:05 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I was struggling years ago and I would be in line with tuna fish and peanut butter and hot dogs while the people in front of me would have lobsters, steaks and junk food. Many of them couldn't even speak English either which would annoy me. I was so mad because I was working poor but didn't qualify for food stamps while someone who did was buying things I couldn't afford.
I hear you. I don't know why the WIC program can't be translated into the food stamp program as well. With WIC you can purchase formula, grains, fruits, vegetables, etc but no junk food.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I hear you. I don't know why the WIC program can't be translated into the food stamp program as well. With WIC you can purchase formula, grains, fruits, vegetables, etc but no junk food.
That's how food stamps should be. I would also be open to them being able to buy food at farmers markets.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:26 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,115 times
Quote:
That's how food stamps should be. I would also be open to them being able to buy food at farmers markets.
I was under the impression that they could, or at least that they could buy from CSAs.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:28 PM

Not all areas allow that. However many bakeries allow them to use them and that is wrong.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:37 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Food stamps ARE limited in what you can buy in many states.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:50 PM

723 posts, read 2,192,944 times
Quote:
If you need assistance, fine but make sure it is healthy food.
you know if you saw some lady in the store buying shrimp, salmon, organic waffles, fresh fruit, nuts, and gourmet healthy organic frozen meals you'd be upset.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:18 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
The concern here is like all welfare programs, it suppose to be "temporary" assistant. Now, welfare is a permanent solution for a lot of people. Why leave welfare when you get free food, free health care, free housing, free day care for children, etc.
You know this person was on food stamps permanently?
If you don't work and have kids you need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Just end the food stamp program. Less government. Problem solved.
I'm sure they would starve in the streets if you had your way.
Thankfully, most of us don't think that way.
Lucky for you that you don't need help. Most of the adults in the world grew up on government cheese.

How about you just end the military? Less government. Problem solved.

Last edited by chielgirl; 09-12-2012 at 10:30 PM..

Old 09-12-2012, 10:33 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
I have seen this and have seen buying junk food even more often. Yes I have a problem because there were times I couldn't afford this food, why should people on my taxes be able to? My taxes keep going up partly because of these people and I am sick of it.
If you couldn't afford to eat, you weren't paying taxes.
You had the same options available to you, you apparently chose not to avail yourself of them, either by too much pride, ignorance or arrogance.
Don't blame others for your lack of action.

Yet you don't complain about the military.
How, ummm, errr, typical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
When in Maine this summer the woman in front of me had a ebt card to buy a bag of chips and a carton of cigs.
In the last thread on this very topic, someone researched and cigarettes are not covered under the rules of any state.
Want to make yourself yet more unreliable and partisan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies