Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 02:28 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,346 times

Advertisements

But no one DESERVES to stay at home on my taxpayer dime. She should have thought of this before she opened her legs. How about have baby daddy (since he likely doesn't work either)stay with the kids or a grandparent? I'd rather pay for childcare because at least it proves to me the mom is trying than pay for her to sit on her lazy butt all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 10:02 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,063 times
So you complain that if they eat healthy food they have to good food but if they have junk food they should not eat that kind of food. Seems this is not about food stamps but peoples hate of the poor and them trying to make the poors life as miserable as possible.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:08 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Because I am paying for it. I want foodstamps or SNAP to be like WIC.
THAT would be a horrible mess. WIC is very limited in what products, brands and sizes people can purchase. What holds up a line in a store, where it's a WIC purchase, is that someone has picked up the 'wrong thing' and the register won't accept it. That entails a manager going to exchange the product, holds up the line interminably and makes people angry. SNAP purchases are so much easier without the restrictions.

In defense of local food stamp users I have to say that most of my SNAP customers DO buy healthy and good foods. They do buy convenience foods but they also buy a TON of fresh vegetables and fruits, mostly on sale meats, frozen Salmon, Tilapia and other fish. We have a good deal on those for less than $5 lb. and we sell quite a lot...to everyone, not just SNAP customers. They buy convenience foods because they have JOBS and have to allocate cooking/meal times just like everyone else. Just because they have food stamps doesn't mean they don't have jobs. It just means that what they make doesn't quite make it to cover everything plus food. And then there are the ones who can't get them because they make $5 a month too much.

Anyway, no, I would never want to see the SNAP program the same as WIC. NOOOO way and thank you very much.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I do see your point. Actually, WIC...Women, Infant & Children are less restrictive than foodstamps regarding income. A person can be close to middle income and still qualify for WIC. It is a nutrition program for pregnant, nursing mothers, and infants and children up to age 5...At least it was when my family qualified back in the 80's. It helped a lot...But as a source of major income it isn't.....it was like an additional 25.00 for milk, cereal, juices....w/ many restrictions on products. If your gonna begrudge every welfare program out there you are gonna be busy. Farmers programs, unemployment, public defenders, free/reduced school lunches, pell grants, Soc Security/SSDI...there are just too many to name....
The program is still the same except that they've changed a couple of things. Used to be they would only pay for dry bean products but now they allow canned as well. Restrictions on brands, etc., still. I know it has to be a HUGE help when it comes to baby formula. I can't believe how expensive it is! They can also buy frozen/canned fruits as well as fresh. Most still prefer fresh. Most of the restrictions remain though.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I don't care if all women are in the workforce I want WELFARE moms, you know, those getting tax payer money to be working. They can still qualify for welfare and if they can't find a job then they should be required to work 40 hours as a volunteer and still get their welfare money. They shouldn't be at home living off my dime and using the kids as an excuse.

This is an excuse as Illinois has free childcare.
Are you familiar, at all, with the Welfare Reform Act the Bill Clinton put into place?? I have to guess that you aren't because you make a LOT of assumptions about 'welfare', who is on it and what they 'should do'. Maybe you should make Google your friend and look it up. You might be surprised how very wrong you are on so many things.

There is a cap on how long people can be on welfare. It's something like seven years. And it's really hard to get to begin with. There aren't that many people who get actual cash welfare and it's a drop in the bucket compared to those who get food stamps only. I don't really know how it is in other states but in AZ anyone who is able to DOES work. It's part of the program and I'm thinking it was part of Clinton's plan. There are also training programs to get people into the workforce. Once a person does get a job they are dropped from the state insurance plan, although their kids remain on it. They are REQUIRED to work unless they are disabled or there are other reasons they just can't. It's been called "Workfare" here for a long time. There is a childcare program, paid for by the state, but they also try to get them off of that when they can.

The Welfare Reform Act was partly to put an end to generational welfare. How well that worked I really don't know and have no numbers for it. But you, and others who seem to enjoy perpetuating all the rumors and lies about welfare and food stamps, really should educate yourselves before you start talking about things you know nothing about. And if you DO know about it, you should be ashamed of yourself for keeping it going.

And, for the record, I am not on welfare or get food stamps. I'm semi retired, work part time and do well for myself. I have no need of those programs and am grateful and happy that I don't. HOWEVER, there was a time when I WAS in need and got food stamps for six months. Big whoop.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:08 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Quote:
if they can't find a job then they should be required to work 40 hours as a volunteer
Doing what exactly? You could actually put some people out of work if others had to "volunteer" to do their jobs, which would mean more people on welfare, which would mean more volunteers...oh wait! I get it now! You want everyone working for free and the government paying them peanuts. What's that all about?

Old 09-14-2012, 12:27 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Doing what exactly? You could actually put some people out of work if others had to "volunteer" to do their jobs, which would mean more people on welfare, which would mean more volunteers...oh wait! I get it now! You want everyone working for free and the government paying them peanuts. What's that all about?
This is exactly what I was thinking...it's like when the company I used to work for realized they could 'hire' interns for free instead of paying people to do work. Six people were immediately laid off.

If businesses knew they could get 'volunteers' to do the work for free and have the government pay their salaries I can guarantee you a lot of businesses would do that to save money.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:32 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,903,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
Why is food stamps not limited to basic items, like chicken, bread, and milk?

Why do they allow food stamps to be used to purchase stuff like lobsters?

How do you feel about someone in front of you at the cash register purchasing a shopping cart full of expensive items like lobsters, expensive seafood, premium steaks, etc. with food stamps?
Food stamps already are limited and shouldn't be further limited and instead individuals should be able to make market based decisions about how best to spend the small amount they get. In Maine, during lobster season lobster is often cheaper than pork so it is the cheapest form of meat money can buy. Sure, in the rest of the country lobster is an expensive luxury but in NE during the right season it is so cheap they often feed it to prison inmates.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:57 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,346 times
By volunteering I mean things like helping at a soup kitchen or reading to kids or something like that.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:42 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
Why is food stamps not limited to basic items, like chicken, bread, and milk?

Why do they allow food stamps to be used to purchase stuff like lobsters?

How do you feel about someone in front of you at the cash register purchasing a shopping cart full of expensive items like lobsters, expensive seafood, premium steaks, etc. with food stamps?
I've never seen lobsters for sale at Walmart. How do you even know they were using food stamps? Maybe, they just liked lobster and were using a regular credit card. You're a snoopy person, if you stare at someone's credit card while they buy lobster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies