Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 05:27 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times

Advertisements

Way back in the late 1960's a relative of mine bought a free-stnding 200-gallon gas-tank with a hand-crank pump, and installed it next to his garage. When the price of fuel first began to fluctuate in 1973-74, he had the last laugh on many of his neighbors, as he did again in 1979 (he was an educator at a time when the term still deserved respect, BTW).

I wonder how many of our conformity-conscious suburban liberals would be censured today if they tried the same tack -- or maybe frustrated by "enlightened" zoning laws which "preserve the character of the neighborhood".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 05:29 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock56 View Post
I hope your right!!!

I think Scott Brown will mop the floor with elizebeth warren . Wouldn't be surprised if Jon Golnik take the house seat in the 5th from Nikki Tsongas.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:30 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Way back in the late 1960's a relative of mine bought a free-stnding 200-gallon gas-tank with a hand-crank pump, and installed it next to his garage. When the price of fuel first began to fluctuate in 1973-74, he had the last laugh on many of his neighbors, as he did again in 1979 (he was an educator at a time when the term still deserved respect, BTW).

I wonder how many of our conformity-conscious suburban liberals would be censured today if they tried the same tack -- or maybe frustrated by "enlightened" zoning laws which "preserve the character of the neighborhood".

I do that with off road deisel, then pump it into my pickup.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 AM

912 posts, read 1,331,869 times
Quote:
Gas prices are killing my business

Obama...you just keep siding with those environmental fanatic whack jobs...

Mr. President your doing a helluva of a job...keep up the great work....
So.....use a bike .Our enviroment will be here at lot longer than we are and I would like to preserve what is left for future generations.Better yet,use a train,then bike.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:53 AM

10,014 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:

$4.00? Out here in the suburbs it is OVER $4.00 - In the city it's a lot more than that!

Old 09-13-2012, 06:14 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:

Oh quit your whining about gas. business across Europe and UK live with $9.00 and up per gallon gasoline. This ultra low price government subdize gasoline is a f'n handicap. its making you fat, dumb, and weak. . .

If your business can't work with higher gas prices, its darwin. Go out of business and another one will take your place who won't f' it up.

--- and Blame Obama? What did he "CREATE" Hurricanes?

If your smoking the keystone pipeline weed I have a bit of reality for you. An Administration has no real control over gasoline prices. The complexities are mind blowing but there are limited refineries, a lot of countries are escalating demand (China/India). Even if oil prices dropped in the United States the open market would still put upward pressure on gasoline prices as demand increases

Old 09-13-2012, 06:16 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

I am quite glad that eyesore would be prevented. Your family must be like the beverly hillbillies or something. 200 gallons? Wow. Thats what. . .3 months max? 4 if your frugal? WOW you really solved the oil crisis.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:17 AM

180 posts, read 237,066 times
Quote:
So.....use a bike .Our enviroment will be here at lot longer than we are and I would like to preserve what is left for future generations.Better yet,use a train,then bike.
Really...what about business that need large vehicles to carry their supplies...what do they do...

Hmmm....I know they can purchase a bunch of Jack asses from the Democrat party to haul their supplies...and we can all live in perfect harmony with the environment...Kumbaya...Hug a tree....

Old 09-13-2012, 06:36 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Paid a little over US$ 8 the other week while I was in Germany. Bad Obama and his world-wide influence on gas prices. Alas, since he caused the US recession, I am certain he is responsible for the world-wide recession, too. It's amazing how German businesses seem to do so well despite the price of gas. Oh, I know, distances are shorter - because the average small business owner in the US drives across the nation just about every other day.

Paid US$ 3.75 when I drove past ATL a few days ago.

Last edited by vamos; 09-13-2012 at 06:46 AM..

Old 09-13-2012, 06:41 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,385,284 times
The price of gas is similar in the NYC and NJ areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies