Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Not many software changes. You already have the data field/column defined where now they are PT or FT. You just add a new choice such as HC(health care) .

Where HC would be 30 hrs or more but less than FT

HT folks would qualify for health care but nothing else. However, for healthcare, they pay more out of pocket than FT folks.

Pret
Yes, but then you have to also make all the changes dealing with the logic of now choosing which status.
And changes like that take time and need to be thoroughly tested especially when it's payroll.

It might be a simple change to add a new field but you also have all the logic to change to deal with that new field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
So they can have more workers that work 25 hrs per week if they want to get around the rules. Or, they pay $2000 per year to the Feds if they refuse to provide employees with a choice for health care. Just because they give the option to employees, it doesnt mean the company has to pay for the health plan. They can offer a $450/mo plan and the employee pays the $450/mo. Then the company meets the criteria. It's really not a big deal.

To me, over 50 employees working at least 30 hrs per week isn't really that "small" of a business. They should be offering their employess health insurance in most cases already if they want to keep their good employhees. Else they are a revolving door because employees jump ship quickly due to inadequate benefits.
They initially said small businesses with under 50 full time people were exempt.
With this change though they are manipulating the rules to include more small businesses that would otherwise have been exempt.

That's not fair play IMO.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You don't see what the issue is, because you've never run your own business, and because you think everyone should pay for everyone's health care expect themselves, because, you know, it's "free."

I don't guess it ever occurred to you that some employers define "full-time" as 38 hours, or 36 hours or 34 hours or 32 hours or 30 hours for reason....and that reason is paid benefits --- uh, like health care.

You have a restaurant that says 36 hours is full-time, so they can limit the amount of benefits they pay, so, you know, they can keep the doors open and not fire the employees and go out of business.

Because, uh, staying in business and keeping the doors open is the whole point, right?

Now you just forced them to include additional employees -- you just forced employers to provide and pay for health care benefits that the employer cannot afford to pay ----which was the whole purpose of limiting full-time to 36 hours a week in the first freaking place, and then to make matters worse, Obamacare mandates what percentage the employer must pay.

So why don't you dazzle us all with your business acumen and financial savvy and explain how employers who limit benefits to a certain number of hours so they can keep their doors open and stay in business are going to be able to keep their doors open and stay in business by spending money they don't have.

When you come to terms with reality and accept the fact that you cannot violate the Laws of Economics without suffering a penalty, your life will be that much better off.

Not amused...

Mircea
I'm not particularly amused by your insults and sarcasm, either. I don't know how you get away with so much of it except that some posters and apparently the forum mods think you're God.

You have no idea what I think about health care, and I am particularly insulted that you think I'm stupid enough to think that health care is "free". I work in health care and daresay I know a lot more about health care financing than you do, bub. For example, I know that for the employer to get a tax deduction for employees' health insurance PRE-ACA, the employer had to pay a certain percentage, just like with the ACA. IIRC, that percenage was 50%. Many employers, pre-ACA had several different categories of workers that got different benefits. For example, many employers have temps who are hourly workers that get no benefits at all, even though they may work in the business for years, permanent part-time who get partial benefits and may have to pay a portion of their HI, and permanent full-time who get their health care fully paid. And so forth.

Please give a cite, something outside of your own head, that talks about any 36 hr/wk limit, ever.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:29 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Fixed costs are variable to the extent you vary units of production.

A given cost is $1,000 per month. In each of those months there is 173 units of production (2080/12). Each unit absorbs $5.76 of given cost.

On an absolute basis the cost is the same. On a percentage basis, the difference is large. If my production units base cost was $30 per hour, I've added another ~20% in cost. If my unit base cost is $7.75 per hour, I've almost doubled my base cost.

Now lower the units of production to 30 hours a week. The fixed cost for insurance is the same - $1000 a month. Assume the base cost is still $7.75 an hour. The incremental cost per hour is now $7.70 per hour.

Prepare yourself for $5 Big Macs.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Fixed costs are variable to the extent you vary units of production.

A given cost is $1,000 per month. In each of those months there is 173 units of production (2080/12). Each unit absorbs $5.76 of given cost.

On an absolute basis the cost is the same. On a percentage basis, the difference is large. If my production units base cost was $30 per hour, I've added another ~20% in cost. If my unit base cost is $7.75 per hour, I've almost doubled my base cost.

Now lower the units of production to 30 hours a week. The fixed cost for insurance is the same - $1000 a month. Assume the base cost is still $7.75 an hour. The incremental cost per hour is now $7.70 per hour.

Prepare yourself for $5 Big Macs.
Well, smartly so, this part is called the "shared responsibility" payment
I hope the irony is not lost on you

Old 09-15-2012, 10:14 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
People go on about how capitalism, free markets, liberty, etc... has failed, but they ignore the fact that those systems have not been that way for over a 100 years.
Capitalism as practiced 100-150 years ago caused an unreasonable amount of suffering among the broad majority of people. We've tried unrestrained capitalism. It sucked.

That's the breaker room at the Pennsylvania Coal Company, 1911. And yes, those are children.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:21 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,334 times
so after 6 pages, the op title is in fact a lie. The mandate says at least 30 hours. And in a few posts, "full time" is never defined, and its left up to the individual businesses to decided exactly how many hour is "full time".

In Hawaii, to qualify for insurance coverage, one must be a employee with at least 20 hours per week and have worked a minumum of 3 months consistently at 20 hours per week.

So did Hawaii redefine "full time" > no they designated the least amount of hours needed to qualify for business offered insurance coverage.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:19 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
so after 6 pages, the op title is in fact a lie. The mandate says at least 30 hours. And in a few posts, "full time" is never defined, and its left up to the individual businesses to decided exactly how many hour is "full time".

In Hawaii, to qualify for insurance coverage, one must be a employee with at least 20 hours per week and have worked a minumum of 3 months consistently at 20 hours per week.

So did Hawaii redefine "full time" > no they designated the least amount of hours needed to qualify for business offered insurance coverage.
Yes. And many employees work two 19 hour jobs. There are entire books on the subject of Hawaii's healthcare system.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Capitalism as practiced 100-150 years ago caused an unreasonable amount of suffering among the broad majority of people. We've tried unrestrained capitalism. It sucked.

That's the breaker room at the Pennsylvania Coal Company, 1911. And yes, those are children.
Labor laws and health insurance are not comparable.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Yes. And many employees work two 19 hour jobs. There are entire books on the subject of Hawaii's healthcare system.
Walmart is notorious for keeping their people at part time status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies