U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:42 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times

Advertisements

So? This subject isn't keeping anyone up at night nor is it the hotbed of sexism you seem to be trying to create. It's marketing 101, that's all.

And before you even start, we all know there is television for children too. Agism? You tell me.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:42 PM

5,877 posts, read 4,022,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I agree that those networks have a target audience that is male - but unlike Lifetime - they never directly stated that as part of their advertising.
Well the biggest question hanging over this thread is: who cares? Just because Lifetime states they are targeting women doesn't mean you can't watch Lifetime if you want. Go ahead and watch it, there are no laws stating that you can't as a male.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:43 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,134,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Men specifically watch and follow sports at a much higher rate than women. Male sports are disproportionately covered and featured on ESPN. (This only makes sense since men are their primary target audience and men overwhelmingly prefer male sports to female sports.) Also much of their advertising is directed at men, specifically men in the 18-40 year old demographic.
Female sports?

Rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming?

I can't think of any other sports that are dominated by female athletes with a marked absence of males.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:52 PM

19,559 posts, read 7,948,501 times
Quote:
After all - their tagline used to be "television for women" - and they still do aim for a female target audience.

Why is there no "television for men"?

Also, why do many of Lifetime's movies seem to portray women as crime victims?

Isn't that a negative portrayal of women - and wouldn't it be better to broadcast programs that present women as strong, capable, and independent?

Maybe because they are and are they trying to bring attention to it. Ever think of that

Old 09-28-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Maybe because they are and are they trying to bring attention to it. Ever think of that
Newspapers serve that function.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Newspapers serve that function.
Newspapers have a section devoted to women....really?? Lifetime is a women's channel. You don't like it, don't watch. What's the problem??

Old 09-28-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Newspapers have a section devoted to women....really?? Lifetime is a women's channel. You don't like it, don't watch. What's the problem??
You suggested that Lifetime was trying to bring attention to the fact that women sometimes are victims of crime.

I stated that newspapers report those instances within their pages.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
You suggested that Lifetime was trying to bring attention to the fact that women sometimes are victims of crime.

I stated that newspapers report those instances within their pages.
Not really, maybe some instances. We are so focused on worldly events that I barely hear a mention of it. Why do you have a problem with Lifetime

Old 09-28-2012, 10:08 PM

28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
Although I wish they weren't remaking Steel Maganolis...don't know if I'll watch that
Yeah, I have mixed feelings about that one.I mean, the original is a CLASSIC, and I hate when they mess with classics... but I'm also curious to see how it differs from the AA perspective, and I also happen to be a huge fan of Queen Latifah. I'll probably watch it, just out of sheer curiosity.

As for the OP, other posters have already pointed out the obvious: Watch SPIKE TV Shows Online | Full Episodes, Free Video Clips, and Event Coverage

And it's not even a subtle targeted audience, considering one of the tabs on their site is called "Digital MAN." Who cares? We have TV stations geared towards gays & lesbians, Christians, Spanish speakers, older people, kids, Black people, southerners/country-folk, nerds, you name it. It's a free market, and they will continue programming in whatever manner gets the most viewers. I don't watch Lifetime very often myself, even though I'm a woman, so it's not like we're forced or men aren't allowed to view it - they do have these handy things called remotes, ya know.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:08 PM

5,280 posts, read 3,341,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Lifetime - Home of Bad Scripts and Worse Acting.

Lifetime - Movies For People Who Miss Soaps.

Lifetime - Seriously, There Was Nothing Else On Right Now?

Gah. Tripe.
Precisely, and this is the more troubling aspect of this. The consumers of morning happy talk shows, People Magazine/US Magazine, Lifetime Channel movies, Dancing With the Stars and so on are women. Now, most women probably do not indulge in more than one of these and many men in indulge in similarly mindless entertainment, as well. What's interesting is to look at statistics on who watches Meet the Press or reads the news. "News" programs or copy with "human interest stories" are specifically aimed at women. They tend to be the ones who get drawn in by missing babies and the like. Men are much more interested in the situation in Libya or the latest Supreme Court ruling on health care reform. Not all men. Maybe not even most, but certainly the consumers of such news tend to be men. In a culture that is less and less interested in current events and things of actual consequence, there is an especially noticeable gap with females. Maybe they are excluded from discussions of these things as young girls and young women and it leads to an aversion to such topics as adults. I don't know, but I am confident we could do with a lot less coverage of the Royal Family, who won on DWTS last night, what Kim Kardashian is up to and the details of the Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes divorce.

Just to head off any of the predictable responses, I'm not saying all men or women. I'm remarking on men and women in general and the statistics that indicate this divide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies