Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 02:43 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Spread that A+ around so all students will have Cs. It's only fair. One doesn't have to be a purist to see the comparison. At what point, do we start being fair?
Yeah, but that really doesn't matter. Property has value in and of itself grades don't, grades are just a measuring stick. To put it simply if you have 2 near identical, non-adjacent parcels of vacant land and I have zero and the government redistributes the wealth, that doesn't really do much to change the inherent value of the land itself. The property is still property. On the other hand if you re-distribute grades so everyone in a given class gets a C, grades essentially stop mattering and people will figure out other ways to determine what people gleaned from the class. As I said, since you cannot redistribute knowledge it is a faulty analogy. If you take the video for example, giving the girl in it a C and Billy, the kid who failed, a C will not transfer half of her knowledge about the Washington monument to Billy, or half of the writing and presentation skills she gained to Billy, it will just mean you have to find a new way of sorting people with knowledge/skills out from people without knowledge/skills.

Thus why this comparison is stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 02:44 PM

537 posts, read 818,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I can only tell you that this video is a perfect example of how "You didn't build that" can destroy your own children but maybe some of you may well do this. You have to feel very sorry for the little girl who has idiot parents.

Obama's Remaking of America -
Could you try posting a link to something that doesn't have a blatant conservative bias for once? Like try linking to a nonpartisan source?

Old 09-14-2012, 02:48 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
LOL! Thank you Roy for that!

Old 09-14-2012, 03:45 PM

286 posts, read 521,344 times
Quote:
I can only tell you that this video is a perfect example of how "You didn't build that" can destroy your own children but maybe some of you may well do this. You have to feel very sorry for the little girl who has idiot parents.

I find it hard to believe that conservatives would twist and misrepresent what liberal Americans say, so something else must be at play here. It must come down to their inability to understand simple concepts or comprehend simple statements. Thanks for posting this latest sad example!

Here are more classic examples from the past...

Statement: The infrastructure and security provided by millions of Americans plays is a part in any successful business.
Conservatives grasp of statement: "You didn't build that".

Statement: The wealthy should pay 4% (Clinton rates) more in income taxes.
Conservatives grasp of statement: “Taxation is slavery!”, “He’s bashing success!”, “He’s declaring war on the rich!”, etc. ad nauseam.

Statement: Women have a right to choose an abortion if they so decide.
Conservatives grasp of statement: "he’s pro-abortion”.

Statement: Gays should have the same rights as straights to marry who they love.
Conservatives grasp of statement: “He wants to give gays special rights”.

There’re many other examples, feel free to add to the list!

Old 09-14-2012, 04:13 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Great video and really, truly shows the utter stupidity of 0bama and those who vote for him.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:29 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Default Does this sound like good little Obama voters in action?

Quote:

I think this thread is a good example of Beckbots in action.

Crazy, man. Just flat out nutso.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:43 PM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That doesn't change the fact that you are forcing a comparison of two extremely dissimilar things. Whether or not you think it is a horrible idea, I imagine you would agree that it is humanly possible to "re-distribute" wealth. It is not possible to re-distribute knowledge. I cannot take your knowledge out of your head and put it into my head so you don't have it and I do, and you cannot do the same to me. Thus if my grandfather was an MD and dies leaving me as his sole heir, I will inherit property, but I will not inherit his medical skill and knowledge, nor would I suddenly become competent to be a MD.

This is basically a giant faulty analogy, that conservatives have been promoting of late because they think it will somehow expose liberals, but anyone who has a command of logic can easily point out the problem with the comparison.

You mean redistribute what people have worked for.
Wealth doesn't just happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies