Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:56 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Though you were saying this in an effort to be a bigoted smartass, there is some truth to it. You get better at anything if you do it often enough.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:04 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
According to a new study published Tuesday, Mexican immigrant mothers performed better on some measures of parenting than white mothers did.
The study, conducted by a research team from the University of California, Berkeley, found that Mexican-origin mothers provide "warm and supportive home settings," engage in fewer conflicts with spouses and exhibit evidence of stronger mental health than their white peers, despite higher poverty rates.

Mexican Moms Are More Nurturing Than White Ones, Study Finds
I don't think I'd put too much stock into some random study from Berkeley. I know many super and wonderful immigrant mothers, that is true. However, I know many that can't keep their kids in school or graduate, who can't keep them out trouble. There's good and bad in every group.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
They may do it at the expense of themselves.

I remember how many middle-aged mexican women we had coming into our ED in El Paso with 'illnesses' that were pretty much just to get some attention from somebody. It was the one time they could ensure the family would be gathered around HER, worried about HER, and they could have a day for HER.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:25 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I don't think I'd put too much stock into some random study from Berkeley. I know many super and wonderful immigrant mothers, that is true. However, I know many that can't keep their kids in school or graduate, who can't keep them out trouble. There's good and bad in every group.
If I wanted to get in trouble, there was no way my mom could've kept me out of it either. Your parents can only set you on a course. They can't monitor you all the time. You can't always get through to your kids. I had a phase where I was constantly getting into trouble. Nothing major, but my brothers and I were raising some serious hell, and without my dad stepping in and laying the smackdown, my mom would've been powerless. Not that she laid down for it....no way. She was well known for digging in our chests at even the slightest hint that we might deviate. She knew boys will be boys, but she also knew that she'd done well enough by us that we'd usually find our way home.

Mexican moms often have to raise multiple boys without fathers in tough environments...the law of averages says that ONE will probably take a big fall given the influences beyond the home.

When all things are taken into account, I think they do an admirable job.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:34 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Correct me if I missed anything but the only criteria I read in this article for being a more nurturing mother was not arguing with your husband, and having evidence of stronger mental health, whatever that means.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:42 AM

78,415 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If I have one less than flattering criticism, its that I find white middle class mothers to be unbelievably overprotective to the point of ridiculousness. It's laughable. And the overbearing amount of structure they place on their children seems to be suffocating. Kids need structure, but you don't have to literally schedule every second of every day for their activities. My son had friends of every race, but this stuff was particularly acute with his white friends. I loved the kids, but some of the parents were unbearable.

All that aside, a mom is a mom, and there is nothing like the love of your mother. My mother was stern and not the most lovey-dovey mom in the world, but her style of parenting suited our environment. Black mothers are ROUGH!!! LMAO.... Besides, we were complete knuckleheads and needed a tough mom. As we became adult men, then she became more outwardly loving and nurturing once she saw the end result of her handiwork. Thanks mom!
^^^^^Great post.

A 100% accurate insight. I call them "nerf moms".

Old 09-13-2012, 10:43 AM

78,415 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Correct me if I missed anything but the only criteria I read in this article for being a more nurturing mother was not arguing with your husband, and having evidence of stronger mental health, whatever that means.
Yeah, the Huff-po "cliff notes" version is pretty lacking. No doubt the actual study was better performed and documented.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:51 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
I guess that's why rich, white, stay-at-home moms hire Mexican nannies to raise their kids for them lol

Old 09-13-2012, 10:51 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Is that why their kids grow up to be cartel members and gang bangers?

Old 09-13-2012, 10:54 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^^^^Great post.

A 100% accurate insight. I call them "nerf moms".
LMAO....that's a perfect term.

My son had at least a dozen white pals with moms like that. I'd just shake my head. One of them got into a fistfight with my son, and I let it go on a while until I got tired of watching it out of my window.....then I broke it up, and walked the other kid to his house.

His mom unloaded on me for not breaking it up sooner, but so what? BOYS HAVE FIGHTS for crying out loud!!! Hell, they were playing with each other the next day. So they knocked each other around a bit...is that a tragedy? Geez...what's a boys childhood without a few good fights?

But yea...these Nerfer's are wimping these boys out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies