Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 07:40 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times

Advertisements

***First, please don't turn this into a religion bashing thread. I don't want fundies and atheists bashing each other***

I've been asking myself the question in the title for the past couple months because I've seen a lot of postings on here saying in effect, that religion should have absolutely no influence in discussion about politics or voting.

First, I should say, that I'm an evangelical Christian. But unlike other evangelicals, I'm left wing, I strongly support the separation of church and state and am opposed nearly all of the objectives of the religious right. At the same time, I'd be lying if I said that my faith didn't influence how I vote or what my political beliefs are. For instance, my support of universal health care, a safety net for the poor, and public education are driven by Jesus' commands to help the poor, and my support for the environment come from my belief that people are supposed to care for what I believe to be God's creation. I know there are secular reasons to support these issues and many others, but the secular reasons aren't usually what come to mind first because my faith is a big part of who I am, my identity.

So, I'm kind of torn. I'm opposed to imposing religion on others through public policy, but my religious views do influence how I view many (not all) political issues. It's kind of a conundrum.

So what are your thoughts. Is it reasonable to expect people to completely banish religious influence from their political decisions? And if so, how? Thoughtful responses are appreciated.

mackinac81
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 07:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
If you have faith, then yes, sometimes it does influence depending on the issue.

For me I do not want taxpayer money paying for abortions. The exceptions allowed are ok by me.
I'm against abortion myself BUT I am not against the right for anyone to get an abortion. Just don't ask me to pay for it because I am religious.

If that were a platform issue..letting taxpayer dollar pay for abortions that would influence my vote.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:07 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
I don't know how deeply held religious views could NOT affect your political views. It is a core of your being. To the OP, I think you have a very reasoned thought process. If you believe strongly in a certain set of religious priciples, then they should guide YOUR life and how you want people treated by the government.

I do think the problem arises when a religious person is not open to the fact that there are various religious and non-religious beliefs in this country. When a person tries to legislate the country based on religious views, that is a different matter.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:22 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
In my opinion someone's religious beliefs should not influence their politics.

People should be able to make decisions based on clear logical thought and weighing the balances and deciding what is right without their religious beliefs intervening.

When people use their religion they are imposing their religious morality in political decisions and deciding for people who do not practice their method of religion, or practice no religion at all.

I question whether, people are able to draw a line between their religious beliefs and their personal convictions because if they cannot, that is proof of how deeply religious dogma has control over their mind. If something has such control over your thinking to the degree that you cannot make a clear decision without weighing religion, I would consider that to be a problem.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:59 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
In my opinion someone's religious beliefs should not influence their politics.

People should be able to make decisions based on clear logical thought and weighing the balances and deciding what is right without their religious beliefs intervening.

When people use their religion they are imposing their religious morality in political decisions and deciding for people who do not practice their method of religion, or practice no religion at all.

I question whether, people are able to draw a line between their religious beliefs and their personal convictions because if they cannot, that is proof of how deeply religious dogma has control over their mind. If something has such control over your thinking to the degree that you cannot make a clear decision without weighing religion, I would consider that to be a problem.
Now this opens up another question.

When you say that religion should have no influence on political decisions, does that mean that government should be atheist?

Does that mean that government should have the same import as God? Or be considered another form of God?

I think that religion should be on the lips of the folks that we have send to Congress.

If you can't discuss religion in Washington D.C. what will happen?

Would it be too far of a stretch to think that government might stifle religion through legislation?

It is our right to believe as we wish. Religion in America definitely influences politics. And it should.

We the people decide. What if government favored Islam? That would go against the grain in western society.

Mackinac81, I always wondered about you. Many Liberal posts. But your belief in God has you on the fence sometimes politically. Not too big of a deal. If you believe that taxpayers should pay for something you believe in, then that's OK.

I'm a Yooper. It's one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Also, it's hard to beat life here.

If the Federal Government were to become so detached from it's citizens, it would become an entity of aggression. Not aggressively defending the religious rights of Americans would be a failure. Americans would not stand for that.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:00 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,636 times
What are politics?

Don't people elect politicians to represent them?

Absolutely religion should be introduced into the political square.

As long as there is no exclusion, Americans should always have the right to express their feelings about their Glorious God.

When Government intrudes on your space, you have the right to fight back.

The people will fight back if the intrusion is too severe. Catholic institutions do NOT have to provide contraception if they don't want to. They will violate Democrat law and will win.

What is Government anyway?

OK, Defense, and these days Medicare and Social Security, but shouldn't they stay out or our way otherwise?

Protect, that's all.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:03 PM

640 posts, read 717,389 times
No, but clearly it does...creates quite a mess for the rest of to clean up, eh...

Old 09-15-2012, 02:14 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Your religion should certainly influence how you vote. What you are allowed to vote on should be limited.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:15 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Considering that in the previous two elections, but not this one thankfully, some major party presidential or vice presidential candidate has done or said something extremely inflammatory towards Paganism I have to at least consider it.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:22 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Yooperkat, question please. If the church objects to having their insurance carrier provide services which they consider immoral, at least objectionable, should the church get government money? Would refusing to provide birth control discriminate against women employees? Catholic hospitals get all kinds of government money, as do their Universities? It might have some effect on getting employees.

IMO, we should just go back to major medical and everybody pay their own doctor and medication. If you have to have tests or be hospitalized, then the insurance kicks in.

My son travels a lot. He takes malaria prevention meds. He ran out last time in Africa. What he walked into a pharmacy over there and got exactly what he gets here, made by German co. He paid 10 dollars for it. His co pay here is 80 dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies