Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 04:02 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,496,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Actually - yes they are weak.

What strikes fear in the hearts of the enemy? Drone strikes or 100,000 boots on the ground? What shows commitment to finishing the job?

It was a drone attack that killed Al-Q #2 earlier this year - but now where are we? That drone attack is a big part of why this whole scene is taking place.

War is psychological as much as it is physical. Enemies can be defeated by death or fear of the consequences. The drone strikes haven't put fear into anybody.
We don't have enough troops to put in every country that known terrorists operate from, nor would we have the support of any other nation for an unprovoked attack on those people.

And I will stand by my statement that it is wiser for the president to make statements when all the facts are in. The example you cited was from a press conference or other event, not issued as a separate statement by the POTUS to the US people. Anyone who thinks that it would be reasonable or wise for the POTUS to make a statement on international events b4 many of the facts are gathered and b4 talking to the governments involved is a fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 04:06 PM

45,400 posts, read 26,983,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
And this is how Morsi responded after Obama made this comment:

Obama gets tough with Egypt

Did you want Obama to issue an apology instead?
How about we are going to kick your a-- if this doesn't stop immediately.

Or

Your funds are being cut off immediately.

In diplomatic language of course.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:08 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,950,727 times
Of course, President Obama hasn't apologized.

However, if he was inclined to apologize to another country for a blatant attack against the United States ... (again, he's not -- but if he was...) ... he'd probably ask Bush for advice, since Bush has experience in apologizing to a nation that rammed a U.S. aircraft in international airspace, then violated international protocol by refusing to grant permission for it to land in distress, than interred the crew while they busily examined the aircraft and its classified components.

US apology letter to China | World news | guardian.co.uk

"I'm very sorry we were obeying international law when your MiG decided to hostilely ram our aircraft. Please let the crew go. And can we pelase have the plane back? Pretty please?"

Yourz Trooley,
W

Old 09-14-2012, 04:09 PM

45,400 posts, read 26,983,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
We don't have enough troops to put in every country that known terrorists operate from, nor would we have the support of any other nation for an unprovoked attack on those people.

And I will stand by my statement that it is wiser for the president to make statements when all the facts are in. The example you cited was from a press conference or other event, not issued as a separate statement by the POTUS to the US people. Anyone who thinks that it would be reasonable or wise for the POTUS to make a statement on international events b4 many of the facts are gathered and b4 talking to the governments involved is a fool.
I'm not saying we should send troops there - I was just answering the drone issue that was brought up on pg.1.

Yes - I am for knowing the facts before taking action. I am not for a bunch of useless speeches and diplomacy.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,850,672 times

Old 09-14-2012, 06:12 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,424,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I posted the apology in this thread, so you don't know what you are talking about.
The "apology" you posted was from 2006, which clearly has nothing to do with what happened a few days ago...so you don't even know what you're talking about.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:44 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,424,958 times
OK, so after five pages, it appears quite clear that the whole Obama "apologizing to the terrorists" narrative is just another canard fabricated for the sake of perpetually being angry at Obama for something. If we're going to criticize the president, perhaps we should spend more time focusing on legitimate issues rather than make-believe ones. Case closed.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:03 PM

15,499 posts, read 10,444,305 times
The apology came from Obama's administration, Obama was MIA until the next day. I saw it on twitter, the US embassy in Cairo issued an apology and kept repeating it all afternoon. There was even some not so friendly banter going back and forth with others. I've since heard the communication director got permission or the go ahead from the head honcho in charge while the ambassador for Egypt was in DC (who knows about that one, they are all so high school). As far as I'm concerned, Obama owns it, it's his administration.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:06 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,496,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
OK, so after five pages, it appears quite clear that the whole Obama "apologizing to the terrorists" narrative is just another canard fabricated for the sake of perpetually being angry at Obama for something. If we're going to criticize the president, perhaps we should spend more time focusing on legitimate issues rather than make-believe ones. Case closed.
Exactly

Old 09-14-2012, 11:18 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,927,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
The apology came from Obama's administration, Obama was MIA until the next day. I saw it on twitter, the US embassy in Cairo issued an apology and kept repeating it all afternoon. There was even some not so friendly banter going back and forth with others. I've since heard the communication director got permission or the go ahead from the head honcho in charge while the ambassador for Egypt was in DC (who knows about that one, they are all so high school). As far as I'm concerned, Obama owns it, it's his administration.
I have no idea what you saw on twitter since nobody seems to be able to cite anything. However, you do understand the difference between political appointees and foreign service staff don't you. The foreign service staff are not part of any administration they are career civil servants. Just an FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies