Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you consider to be middle income?
$10,000-$50,000 4 4.17%
$50,001-$75,000 52 54.17%
$75,001-$100,000 21 21.88%
$100,001-$150,000 13 13.54%
$50,001-$200,000 5 5.21%
$200,001-$250,000 1 1.04%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 05:39 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times

Advertisements

A couple of benchmarks, from one who is favored with both price-consciousness and a good memory.

One summer when I was in college (c. 1970), my regular summer job failed to materialize and I was forced to seek employment at a local fast-food emporium; we were selling CluBurgers (the equivalent of a Big Mac) for fifty-five cents -- the price today is around $3.75; a seven-fold increase.

Or let's consider a good low-tech, all-labor consumer purchase -- a man's haircut. That summer, the local "Master Barber Association" -- a cartel-of-sorts that wasn't worth the trouble to police, raised its price to $1.25. I currently get my hair cut for $8, and usually add a $2 tip in recognition that I don't patronize a barber as regularly as in the Sixties -- and admittedly, a person of my tastes doesn't see much utility in a fancy salon. So figure an eight-fold increase again.

Until inflation really began picking up around 1966, the term "five-figure salary" was still viewed as a status symbol. Around the same time, Life magazine ran a feature on five suburban couples "having trouble living on $20-$24K a year".

So if we extrapolate the same figures, $75000 is solidly middle-class, and $150-$200K should allow for a pretty good living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 05:49 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
There is another thread started about Mitt giving his idea of what income translates into being middle of the pack.

I am curious what threshold you would consider to be middle income?
your ranges are too small unless you are talking average or median.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:56 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
depends on defination

middle for all america 60-80

but a workingclass cop on long island makes 108k base and averages 160k a year

a workingclass teacher here on average makes 110k

so a workingclass cop married to a workingclass teacher would easily break that 250k barrier

and a workingclass cop and a workingclass teacher would certaoinly be considered middle (not low class, but not upperclass)

holy smokes , i didnt realise police and teachers earned so much over there

Old 09-15-2012, 06:16 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
$40K-$80K a year I'd say is middle, while $80K-$150K is upper.. Over that you're doing well, ignoring of course where one lives.
I agree.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:30 AM

272 posts, read 322,495 times
Who do you consider to be a middle class family?

I'd say a family who can afford a house, cars for mom and dad to get to work or take kids to school or sports and be able to save for kids education and own retirement. Middle family should not depend on government help, IMHO.

Money range for such family would be different based on COL for place they leave in.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:33 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Middle income isn't as important as middle class.

Do you own your home? How much do you have in savings? What kind of job do you work? Do you wear a collared shirt and work in an office all day? Are your skills highly specialized?

All these things are more important then the dollar amount you make. I'd live like someone making 30K a year in Tennessee, if I made the same money I make now in New York City for instance.

Perspective is needed.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:49 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
You know, I'm retired and living on much less than what I made when I was working and yet I have more discretionary money now than I had then. Why? Because:

1. I moved to a state with a much lower cost of living than the two states (MD and NY). I lived in before. (MD and NY). My rent is cheaper for a place twice as big. My electricity bill is almost half in the twice as big apartment. Gasoline is about 20 cents less per gallon (I know this because I typically go to Maryland to see friends once a year). (Food is about the same because we have a tax here on it.) I don't pay anything to go to the state parks, outdoor concerts or go to festivals which are abundant here. I don't pay for parking anywhere and there are no toll roads or bridges. (I shop mostly online so I can't speak to clothing costs). There's no state income tax just one on interest and dividends and a high sales tax. (If I had a house, you guys up North would cry when I told you my property tax bill.).

2. It costs more money to go to work than you probably realize. I live in play clothes that go in the washing machine so no more frequent dry cleaning bills which was a regular expense. Play clothes (pullover tops and jeans) that don't get dry cleaned are much cheaper than work clothes and nice and various shoes and accessories are no longer needed. I'm not buying lunch out every day (cafeteria or restaurant, tea/coffee, vending machines) and take out when I get home later at night 4 - 5 days a week (because it's too late to start cooking) like I did when I was working. No more chipping in for this person and that gift. I live near (within a 3 mile radius) a lot of things I do regularly so I fill up my car much less frequently compared to when I was working and commuting even when I took the train most of the way. I'm not throwing a huge part of my paycheck/pension into savings to save for retirement.

Is there a point? Yes.

1) We have lower income people on average living here because they can afford to live here on that income amount especially retirees. People in the workforce here make less money and can live just as comfortably as you do in the northeast or California on a higher income. So, when you ask what's middle income keep in mind it varies from state to state. What you might put in the category of low income in the northeast could very easily be considered middle income in say the southeast but we're both getting by on our amounts. When I hear "tax the rich" down here that's you middle income guys in the northeast but we're both probably living the same way at each of our separate but disparate income levels.

2) Figure out how much it actually costs you to go to work every week and adjust your life accordingly if you can. Those little bit here/little bit there things add up. I just never realized how much when I was still working. And if you are thinking of retiring but afraid of that huge income gap between working and retirement, consider relocation in retirement and living near the things you like to do. You'd be surprised at the difference a lower cost of living and lower taxes can make in your discretionary money.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:59 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
The middle three quintiles of income in the United States range from about $45,000 to $100,000 per year. I think that's as good a definition of middle class as any.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:59 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As they should be, considering a post-graduate education is required for the job. Btw, that number might sound high, but it's actually lower-than-average for comparable professions: Chicago Public School Teachers Highlight Perennial Debate of Teacher Pay - ABC News

That's also not true in every state, and as I learned personally (while working for a public school), finding summer work isn't that easy or lucrative. You really think they earn $24K in 2 months, from doing something like tutoring or working at a camp? Not likely.
This thread isn't about whether or not Chicago teachers should average $76k for 10 month's work or not. There are other threads here for that. It's also not about what you personally have found to be easy or lucrative.

An average is just that, an average. It means some earn higher than that amount and some earn lower. I specifically cited Chicago and did not claim "every state". Nor did I state anywhere that summer employment was the only means by which teachers in Chicago may supplement their income.

Therefore, what I posted was correct: A two-teacher family can conceivably make $200+k/year, depending upon where on the pay scale they are and how they supplement their income. IMO teachers are middle-class.

I stand by my statements.

By any chance, did/do you teach reading comprehension?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:07 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The middle three quintiles of income in the United States range from about $45,000 to $100,000 per year.
I think that's as good a definition of middle class as any.
No... that's realigning the definitions to suit the worsening numbers.
In any case... The choices in the poll miss it at both ends as well.

Middle Class -- the ability to pay your own way for everything that you have a reasonable right
to expect to have in your life-- doesn't even start until the $35,000 to $60,000 range (single vs family).
If your family of 4 makes less than $75,000 today you're far closer to poor than middle.
(the one vs two earner to achieve this income is yet another factor)

At the upper end... Middle Class is far more about HOW you earn it than the number itself.
If it is the more simplistic W4 wages and bonuses of employment you're still in the Middle Class.
Well, up to about $200,000 (or maybe 250,000 in some areas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies