Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 07:54 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
So kick the bad kids out and focus on the good kids...
You know they can't do that lol But private schools can. They can accept or reject anyone they want. I doubt there are many special need kids in private schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 08:02 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
So it's the kids fault you can't do your job.

Excellent.
No not the kids fault....parents. Teachers are there to teach reading, writing, math and other subjects. It is not their job to discipline your unruly kids or teach them respect. That is your job. You fail as a parent if you don't teach them that.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No not the kids fault....parents. Teachers are there to teach reading, writing, math and other subjects. It is not their job to discipline your unruly kids or teach them respect. That is your job. You fail as a parent if you don't teach them that.

The problem is that right wingers have a gargantuan sense of entitlement, and feel that there's some magical way to have the teacher surgically implant "knowledge" into their kids' brains, without their little spoiled brats being required to do ANY hard, hard work at home, reading their assignments, behaving in class, AND without them (the parents) taking time out of their 5 nitely hours of watching TV to teach their kids so they do well and don't show up ignorant for the following day's lesson.

I find it funny that right wingers use the word entitlement about others when the fact is, that they should be using it about themselves. They are the KINGS of entitlement.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:43 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Funny stuff! What I wouldn't give to pull in a solid annual salary (teachers pay for days actually worked), being home by 5PM, off on holidays, spring break, bad weather days, all summer, PLUS looking forward to state funded retirement pension and benefits.

No wonder there's never a shortage of teachers!
Actually, we had a major teacher shortage from about 1998 to 2007. It was so bad that states had to come up with creative ways to get certified teachers. I was the only actual certified science teacher in one school I worked in. There were districts were teachers were given sign-up bonuses and had moving costs paid for. Science, math, and special ed teachers got their loans paid off. Teach for America was born. So yes, we've had teacher shortages. It goes in cycles, but here's a hint, when the economy is booming finding teachers is hard and no one would dream of being one. It is only when the economy is bad that teaching suddenly looks like a lush career.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-16-2013 at 09:44 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 08:49 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post

The problem is that right wingers have a gargantuan sense of entitlement, and feel that there's some magical way to have the teacher surgically implant "knowledge" into their kids' brains, without their little spoiled brats being required to do ANY hard, hard work at home, reading their assignments, behaving in class, AND without them (the parents) taking time out of their 5 nitely hours of watching TV to teach their kids so they do well and don't show up ignorant for the following day's lesson.

I find it funny that right wingers use the word entitlement about others when the fact is, that they should be using it about themselves. They are the KINGS of entitlement.
Dude.... Plenty of left wing and even totally non-political parents do the same thing. There are rotten parents in every single demographic you could dream up, it just shows up in different ways. With affluent kids we call it a sense of entitlement, with poor kids we call it lack of respect.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Dude.... Plenty of left wing and even totally non-political parents do the same thing. There are rotten parents in every single demographic you could dream up, it just shows up in different ways. With affluent kids we call it a sense of entitlement, with poor kids we call it lack of respect.
Well, since I only worked in one private school and later in one public school, both in good areas of town, I only got to see rich assh*les in action demanding that their little lazy sh*theads be awarded automatic A grades from me. I never got to hear demands from poverty-stricken parents of poverty-stricken kids - who (UNLIKE RICH KIDS) at least have hundreds of thousands of reasons why they're f*cked up and aren't performing well, or are obnoxious.

I refused to cater to the parental demands at either school. At the public school I came face to face with a city councilman, who put his rich, fat face in mine and told me that I was there to SERVE his kid, not to make his kids' life miserable. (Miserable? How? By demanding that he study????) Never mind that his a**hole mini-me was the laziest bully kid I had ever encountered. He was mean to weaker kids, he ridiculed everyone he could get away with ridiculing, and I think the word obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe him. This kid was such a disturbance in my classroom, that I usually had him sitting next to my desk (I called it "The Hot Seat" and smiled obnoxiously as I explained how wonderful it was, to make damned sure he couldn't ever do a sarcastic performance about it).

So one fine day, his councilman dad demanded I change his kids' midterm test grade or administer a new one to him. Why? Well, because he believed his kid had "a great future ahead of him," and this was going to (and he actually said this) "f**k him up." I refused. I told him his kid's grade was fairly determined according to the same standards as all the grades of all the other kids in the class. He was livid and threatened to go to the principal to get me fired. lol I encouraged him to. He went to the principal. The principal called me in the next day and asked me to just change the kids' grade so we could be rid of this idiot. I was in shock and refused. The principal gave me an "ohmygodwhyareyoudoingthis" look. He couldn't very well fire me for that, and I explained that I didn't believe in being unfair to the rest of the class by cheating on behalf of this one child. This hell went on for two weeks. I was nervous but I won't back down on principles. Meanwhile I had a test coming up covering the recent assignments we'd had, and I warned the kid to study. In fact, I left a voicemail on the father's cell phone explaining that this was an excellent opportunity for him to help his kid to improve his grade by helping him study. (I gotta admit I got a lot of pleasure doing that lol). Anyhow, the kid didn't study and went home two days later with an "F," which I had already forwarded to the principal just in case. The councilman transferred his monster to a private school.

And btw, the city councilman was a Republican. This is where some of my friends might say, "duh." lol

Yes, Republicans DO have a sense of entitlement.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:24 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Teachers don't get paid enough when they have to discipline kids because their parents don't do it. It takes away from teaching the others. Teachers don't get paid enough when they have to spend their own money for classroom items because the school system can't afford it.
I'm sorry but I think your statement is ignorant because you speak without knowing all the facts. Oh, of course a youtube video
This has nothing to do with the union machine.

Unions, especially public unions, have become exactly what they were designed to fight against: being greedy and fostering corruption.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
This has nothing to do with the union machine.

Unions, especially public unions, have become exactly what they were designed to fight against: being greedy and fostering corruption.
Unions, ALL UNIONS, regardless of which group of workers these represent, are for the purpose of providing the workers with SOME power, where they ordinarily would be at the mercy of the institution where they work. I understand perfectly well why right wingers are against unions, as right wingers are admirers of authority, of power, of wealth, and hold tremendous disdain for those who don't hold authority, power or wealth. Right wingers feel that the wealthy and powerful have the right to determine how workers shall be treated, and WANT workers to be devoid of any power to have a say. So yeah, I understand it. I understand it but have no respect for it, as it's a nefarious view of life. It is for this reason that I have ZERO respect for right wingers. I don't respect their malevolent ideology, I don't respect their Machiavellian schemes, and I don't respect what they try to pass as their rationale. Further, the more I hear right wingers express disdain for unions, the less I listen to anything right wingers have to say.

If right wingers want to be taken seriously or heard, they would first have to begin by shedding their violent and sadistic view of workers, and stop pretending that somehow they (right wingers) are aligned to the wealthy and powerful, which they are MOST ASSUREDLY not. At the end of the day, right wingers, unless they are rich and powerful as well, are nothing but workers themselves, incredibly stupid workers, workers that would cut off their nose to spite their face, not very smart, not very intuitive, and certainly not admirable by any stretch of the imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies