Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 09:02 PM

151 posts, read 404,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Oh BS. The Blame Game was invented by right wingers because they refuse to make an effort, they refuse to get a true education, and they refuse to use logic. The Blame Game is the #1 game of those who feel utterly entitled to receive and make 0 effort. Look in the mirror.
You have it backwards. Liberals don't use reason and logic - they are based off of "gut feelings" and "knee-jerk reactions."

I never met a liberal who knew anything about the founding fathers and original American principles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 09:03 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
Wow, you're an idiot I would love to see you in a classroom and watch you eat crow. It would be very entertaining.
You're the one that said you can't control a kid in you're classroom.

You have no idea how I would handle it so stop acting like you do.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Teachers unions like any other are just special interest group which is why they pay political support. Its allow in this country but no one has to buy the only interested in education of your child part.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:13 PM

Those who can, work. Those who can't, teach.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:34 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,738,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Teachers don't get paid enough when they have to discipline kids because their parents don't do it. It takes away from teaching the others. Teachers don't get paid enough when they have to spend their own money for classroom items because the school system can't afford it.
I'm sorry but I think your statement is ignorant because you speak without knowing all the facts. Oh, of course a youtube video
Funny weren't these union set up to prevent these very same problems?

Old 07-07-2013, 09:53 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,251,551 times
Quote:
I had a student last year who would not stay seated and quiet more than 3 minutes. He would cause an uproar on a frequent basis. He is NOT afraid of you, me, or any punishment. He has dealt with **** his entire childhood with a lack of decent family life. You think its just that easy to "get him to behave." Its laughable that you would say that.
There are ways you could have gotten him to behave, you'd just have been fired for using them.

This is a problem with the public school system as a whole - you can't DO anything with the bad apples who ruin class/learning time for other students as well as wear out and push good teachers to the brink. They're entitled to a free and public education no matter what they do (short of a few things that would send them to jail or juvvie).

Just don't do this:

Quote:
Hilliman stated the student — a 14-year-old girl — was disruptive, disrespectful, used the "F-word" and called him the "N-word" in class just days before the incident, Licata wrote, referencing a statement Hilliman gave the school board about the incident.

Hilliman stated that he also discussed the student with the school's principal at the time, and even requested to speak with her mother in the afternoon of the alleged incident, Licata wrote.

Hilliman later admitted he threw books at the student in response to her throwing them at him, just hours before the student's mother was to arrive at the school on Oct. 23, 2012, Licata wrote.

"(The student) became very angry, took a soft cover book from the bookshelf and threw it at Hilliman," Licata wrote. "Hilliman caught the book and threw it back ... and the two were running around the class, throwing books at each other, ducking, and both used the bookshelf, which (the student) referred to as 'home base,' to reload."
Franklin teacher threw books at a student, got into a 'book war,' report says | NJ.com

Old 07-07-2013, 10:10 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,251,551 times
Quote:
My favorite meditation teacher says:

-If you don't give 100%, don't blame the teacher
-If you are lazy, don't blame the teacher
-If you refuse to do the work, don't blame the teacher
-If you want it all done for you, don't blame the teacher

But you seem like one of those who, as kids, blamed the teacher instead of yourself. Am I correct, or off base here?
Your favorite "meditation teacher" has apparently never taught children at all OR to do much other than close their eyes and find their inner chi.

Why do you insist that there are no bad teachers and the teachers union isn't a ridiculous power/money hungry entity that has nothing to do with teaching?

And enough with your "right wing" garbage. I don't know anyone who voted AGAINST Obama and his mess, who thinks religion should be taught in public schools. I don't, and I voted against his smarmy useless behind 2x. You need to expand your horizons when you are meditating, with your favorite meditation teacher, and grow up.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:26 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Just don't do this:
Quote:

Hilliman stated the student — a 14-year-old girl — was disruptive, disrespectful, used the "F-word" and called him the "N-word" in class just days before the incident, Licata wrote, referencing a statement Hilliman gave the school board about the incident.

Hilliman stated that he also discussed the student with the school's principal at the time, and even requested to speak with her mother in the afternoon of the alleged incident, Licata wrote.

Hilliman later admitted he threw books at the student in response to her throwing them at him, just hours before the student's mother was to arrive at the school on Oct. 23, 2012, Licata wrote.

"(The student) became very angry, took a soft cover book from the bookshelf and threw it at Hilliman," Licata wrote. "Hilliman caught the book and threw it back ... and the two were running around the class, throwing books at each other, ducking, and both used the bookshelf, which (the student) referred to as 'home base,' to reload."
Franklin teacher threw books at a student, got into a 'book war,' report says | NJ.com
I've got to confess, picturing that scene in my mind made me laugh. But it is serious reflection of the issues teachers face that the student throwing the books and calling the teacher names illicits no shock, just that the teacher threw them back. The guy was pushed to the edge and the girl should have already been moved to an alternative educational setting. She was already in ISS, was apparently a frequent flier, and it wasn't working well enough for her to even control her behavior in that limited environment. We allow the problem children far too much leeway to destroy the education of all the other kids. Proportionately way too much time, energy, and money are spent trying to just get a few through school. Just think how much more an average kid could achieve with those same resources.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-07-2013 at 10:37 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. I think you have a clear sense of entitlement, and feel that others owe you doing your work for you. Your ease at blaming others, is a testament to that.
How to win an argument:

1) Invent a definition of your opponent
2) Criticize that opponent based on that definition
3) Your opponent's position is invalid

See also "straw man".

Old 07-08-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Are you serious? I work with inner city kids. I bet you wouldn't last 5 minutes with them. They would eat you alive. You think nothing has changes in our society since the 40s? It doesn't matter that 70% of them dont have both parents at home?

YOU SPEAK OF WHICH YOU DO NOT KNOW
How to win an argument:

1) Invent an assumption of your opponent
2) Criticize that opponent based on that assumption
3) Your opponent's position is invalid

See also "straw man".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies