Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 04:05 PM

990 posts, read 939,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
And, it idiotically gives the Cuban regime a perfect foil on which to blame... well, just about everything. The embargo has been counterproductive. But point that out and you get hysterical shrieks of "Soft on communism!" from the usual suspects...
Absolutely. It empowers Castro. I was in Cuba a few years back (amazing place, gorgeous women, rum, cigars, BASEBALL EVERYWHERE, amazing architecture and beaches) and the regime uses the embargo as one of its main selling points as to why America is evil...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 05:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
I'm not legally old enough to be President (not sure if I would really want to) but if I could and wanted to be President, I'd change quite a bit of things or push for them to happen:

1. Cut the age to be President/Senator/member of the House to 18 instead of 35/30/25 as it stands now. We need younger blood in office.

3. Cut 90% of all government spending (too much pork). Yes, this includes the military, sorry!
This is part of the reason we do not allow people without a bit more experience run for office. Defense of the country is a legitimate thing for the government and they could not do that with 10% of what we spend now. We can indeed cut defense though.

Quote:
5. Keep Uncle Sam out of state government issues and restore state sovereignty. If some rural state wants to ban gay marriage...if they're so scared of gay people that they have to ban something like that, fine. But please don't bring the whole world into your state's drama, OK?
This won't work because the Constitution provides for equal protection or treatment of all. There are tax ramifications involved with marriage. It will end up being unconstitutional for couple A in Maine to get these benefits and not couple B in Georgia.

Quote:
6. Start up good relations with all nations. No need to be a bad neighbor, eh?
This is what Carter thought he could do. He found out he couldn't but he still won't admit it.

Quote:
8. Make Congress the most powerful branch of the federal government. It's the closest to the people so it should have the most power. Why have the courts decide the laws as they do now?
So you are good with allowing Congress pass limits on our free speech and having the courts have no say?

Quote:
9. Take away constitutional rights from corporations. Since when is a corporation a person? That's retarded.
Corporations do not have constitutional rights. The people who make them up do.

Pretty much the exact opposite of what they are doing now. I would kick Bernanke in the nuts, then tar and feather him and run him out of town. I would strengthen the dollar, not attack it. I would allow rates to rise. I would then for good measure, kick Bernanke again.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:16 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,378 times
I would reduce military spending, not the military, but there are legal procedures in place that cause the government to spend $100 for a hammer. This is stupid, and it's happening today. This must change.

Research for turtles. That should be handled by the private sector.

If I were President I would encourage States to enforce photo ID. It has been proven to increase minority voting and IDs are free.

I would change the tax code -- to a fair tax.

I would eliminate funding to Planned Parenthood. The private sector can fund them fairly easily.

I would stop borrowing from China. If America can't fund itself, then America is a lost cause. Get ahead of the game and let China borrow from us.

I would crush Obamacare. It is wasteful, and will cause more financial problems than anyone can imagine.

I would tell the media that when they are throwing softballs, to get real. I wouldn't want to throw out a biased image of myself. If the media would like me, fine, but I wouldn't want to be seen as a media puppet. Like Obama is.

Actually, the media would hate me, because I'm nothing like the Rock Star that they currently admire. I can sing though.

I would open up all areas that could potentially produce oil. What are we waiting for?

I would not give taxpayer money to Sandra Fluke so she could get rubbers for free. For all I know, she might not even use rubbers. She could probably set up a fund raising where people could donate a few bucks. The Sandra Fluke Free Intercourse Fund.

No apologizing to Egypt. Iran would be really worried if I were President.

My Vice President would be much smarter than Biden.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:43 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,320 times
I'm not surprised at some of the responses. Yes, I have read the constitution and am more informed about it vs most of City Data's posters. Even if the president can't change certain things, he/she can advocate for them. Did you people actually read what I wrote? And since when does older age = more wisdom anyways? The current bunch of people in office either don't know how to run stuff right or don't care, or more likely both. Obama and Romney and their ilk are too old and stupid to run a popsicle stand let alone any type of serious enterprise. If the older established crowd supposedly has the wisdom they keep bragging about then how come they don't use it? It's the same thing every presidential election; we want change, let's push out the corruption in DC, blah blah blah...and it never happens. They had Dubya Bush being marketed as some libertarian type and we all know he was far from that. Then Obama (City Data's favorite president) comes along and is marketed as 'change' and that didn't work at all.

Anyways, wouldn't you all want more freedom in your lives? I keep seeing the same threads and posts about how Washington keeps messing with your freedoms. To be honest, I don't think a majority of Americans want freedom given the rhetoric nowadays. I'm just being the devil's advocate here.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
I'm not surprised at some of the responses. Yes, I have read the constitution and am more informed about it vs most of City Data's posters. Even if the president can't change certain things, he/she can advocate for them. Did you people actually read what I wrote?
Hell, I even addressed many of them. Did you not read my replies? Nothing?

Old 09-14-2012, 07:58 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Reinstate the draft, get you a low number, and then invade Cuba. Send you right over....

Old 09-14-2012, 08:01 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
In no way would I want that job, but if I could unanimously make the following law:

-Impose Congressional term limits
-Lower the drinking age to 16
-Promote buying products made in the U.S.A.
-Reduce government waste -- try to make people accountable for their actions
-Stop the 'war on drugs'
-Allow people to marry without government intervention
-Increase the cyber warfare budget
-Attempt to eliminate 'corporations are people'

Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Strong man...You hear that term in other places. Usually in back water nations that have a dictatorship. It could be time for America to have a strong man as President. Kind of like a patriarch...our over indulgence in ideas of equality and secular gentleness might just be the death of the west. Not say we need a brute..but a good old fashioned man who will be respected by those were manhood is still respected.

Not to be rude- but - cut throat careerists who want to reach the top of American society- who are driven by personal ambition are not needed....as a leader....in other words under developed aging rich kids do not cut it in this changing world that is getting more rough as time goes on.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:16 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
I'm not surprised at some of the responses. Yes, I have read the constitution and am more informed about it vs most of City Data's posters.
You certainly cannot tell that by your OP.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:19 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Reinstate the draft, get you a low number, and then invade Cuba. Send you right over....
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
In no way would I want that job, but if I could unanimously make the following law:

-Impose Congressional term limits
-Lower the drinking age to 16
-Promote buying products made in the U.S.A.
-Reduce government waste -- try to make people accountable for their actions
-Stop the 'war on drugs'
-Allow people to marry without government intervention
-Increase the cyber warfare budget
-Attempt to eliminate 'corporations are people'
None of these actions are within the scope of the President's power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies