U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 10:53 AM

11,425 posts, read 16,675,196 times

Advertisements

I would have to be a Dictator to do what I would want for this country
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 11:11 AM

15,941 posts, read 10,982,938 times
you can start with 'say what you mean and do what you say'.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:41 PM

33,954 posts, read 32,416,664 times
1. Tell the national news media to take a hike and spend more time talking directly to the American people instead of doing their insipid interviews. This President will do no talk shows, either.

2. Pressure Congress to pass a law I can sign requiring a minimum of 4 years of executive experience for anyone seeking the office of President. That can be fulfilled by a business executive (not just a manager), a governor, a mayor, the head of a non-profit, a Department or Agency head in the federal government or a general in the military. An executive has experience with budget planning and execution and also has experience in crisis management/dealing with large scale problems.

3. Not sign any unfunded mandates for the states. Unfunded mandates is just Washington's way of making the governors rather than the President, the bad guy who has to raise taxes.

4. Sign a bill that says no federal government benefits for illegal aliens. If we need more people to do the jobs Americans won't do just let more in legally. Put a three year limit on their work visa that requires them to leave the country for at least 1 year or apply for citizenship at the end of 3 years. No anchor babies. Cut off all federal funding to states with sanctuary cities. Secure the border by whatever means it takes. If you overstay your visa and you are caught, and you will be caught in my administration, automatic 3 years in jail followed by deportation with no chance for a visa again. Any form of identity theft is 5 years in prison and that goes for non-illegal aliens, too. Identity theft will be a federal crime.

5. No federal assistance to any state that doesn't have a balanced budget law. Tell Congress I want one to sign for the federal Government, too.

6. Tell the American people that I asked Congress to put a bill on my desk that I can sign that term limits their Senate and Representative jobs and ask the people to pressure their Representative and Senators to do it or the people will get rid of them on the next Election Day.

7. Full steam ahead for every kind of domestic energy plan...with no federal funding. You want to make electric cars, put up some windmills, drill for oil, mine for coal, etc., you're going to do it with private money.

8. No Federal public employee unions. If states want to allow state and local government employee unions that's their business. Federal workers are our employees as taxpayers.

9. The Federal government is out of the marriage business.

10. Tell Congress to pass a law that says this: People will register and vote with their fingerprints on an electronic reader that verifies a fingerprint match. That takes away the photo ID requirement and the chance of felons voting. When people move from a state, they will be required by law to go to the Post Office and place their fingerprint on the reader to automatically de-register them in that state eliminating the lag time. If they don't do it they will be unable to register in their new state. The technology already exists. A workaround will be required for people with no hands. Funeral parlors will de-register deceased people also using fingerprint readers or face arrest.

11. Like Governor Perry suggested, all foreign governments will start with zero financial aid in my adminisitration and have to justify why they should be given any.

12. Abolish the Department of Education. It has only been in existence since 1979 and our educational competitiveness has gone down since. Giving them money is like pissing in the wind. Ask GAO to audit the span of control in all federal government headquarters operations in all Departments and Agencies with an eye on an excessive number of executives and a trumped up workforce to justify those executive positions. Halve their travel budgets. More federal agencies should be using technology for meetings.

13. If your kid/kids are being fed in school, your food stamp allocation will be adjusted down, accordingly.

14. Declare that the first lady/first man is not an elected position. They need to butt out of policy and influence decisions. First Lady/First Man experience is NOT executive experience (see Item 2).

15. No bailouts for anyone.

16. Strength through military might. A show of force is a good thing. You don't have to use them if your enemies know you will and can use them.

17. Students will be required to pass a citizenship test to get college money from the government therefore schools better teach that material. Catch my drift? No no-nothings will be going to college with the help of the federal government if they don't know what every foreign person is required to know if they want to become American citizens.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:25 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,611,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Actually the President could send forces without Congressional approval. The draft - not sure. Doesn't matter because my post was tongue-in-cheek.
The President can move troops around by Executive Order, certainly. However, only Congress has the constitutional authority to declare wars, notwithstanding the unconstitutional War Powers Resolution of 1973. Furthermore, Congress also determines the size, organization, training, arming, disciplining, and funding of the military, and only Congress can reinstate the Draft, not the President.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:28 PM

54,232 posts, read 38,295,277 times
I'd get some stick-time in a 747

Old 09-15-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I am to take something like this seriously? Do you actually believe that everyone in this country works in fast food and lawn maintenence?
The US has gone from primarily a manufacturing economy to primarily an information and service economy in the last 50 to 60 years. We do not make much of anything in the US anymore, we assemble or provide services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Name a few.
  • The North Atlantic Treaty Organization;
  • United Nations Security Council Resolution 84;
  • Section 2350a of Title 10 of the United States Code;
  • Section 517 of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961;
  • Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe; plus
  • A number of Mutual Defense Treaties.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
1. Tell the national news media to take a hike and spend more time talking directly to the American people instead of doing their insipid interviews. This President will do no talk shows, either.
I completely agree. The "News" media have become propagandists, not journalists. Additionally, the airwaves are public and only leased by the broadcast media companies, Presidents should have free access, at any time on demand, in order to address the nation.

FDR had his weekly "fireside chats" with the public via the radio because they did not have TV. The President should have full access to the latest communication technology.

Quote:
2. Pressure Congress to pass a law I can sign requiring a minimum of 4 years of executive experience for anyone seeking the office of President. That can be fulfilled by a business executive (not just a manager), a governor, a mayor, the head of a non-profit, a Department or Agency head in the federal government or a general in the military. An executive has experience with budget planning and execution and also has experience in crisis management/dealing with large scale problems.
As President you can certainly put pressure on Congress to enact such legislation, but it would have to be in the form of a proposed amendment to the US Constitution which 38 State legislatures would then have to ratify. I am not certain how well placing additional qualifications on the Office of the President will go over with the States.

Quote:
3. Not sign any unfunded mandates for the states. Unfunded mandates is just Washington's way of making the governors rather than the President, the bad guy who has to raise taxes.
Considering the Supreme Court has already held unfunded mandates for the States to be unconstitutional in Printz v. United States, 521 U.S. 898 (1997), as President you can make a Signing Statement to that effect and refuse to enforce the law.

According to Article I, Section 7, Clause 2 of the US Constitution, a President's signature is not required. Bills passed by Congress become law automatically after ten calendar days (excluding Sundays) while Congress is still in session.

Quote:
4. Sign a bill that says no federal government benefits for illegal aliens. If we need more people to do the jobs Americans won't do just let more in legally. Put a three year limit on their work visa that requires them to leave the country for at least 1 year or apply for citizenship at the end of 3 years. No anchor babies. Cut off all federal funding to states with sanctuary cities. Secure the border by whatever means it takes. If you overstay your visa and you are caught, and you will be caught in my administration, automatic 3 years in jail followed by deportation with no chance for a visa again. Any form of identity theft is 5 years in prison and that goes for non-illegal aliens, too. Identity theft will be a federal crime.
If you can get Congress to enact those laws and proposed amendment, and 38 State legislatures to ratify the proposed amendment, you will probably go down as the most effective President in US history.

Quote:
5. No federal assistance to any state that doesn't have a balanced budget law. Tell Congress I want one to sign for the federal Government, too.
All 50 States already have either laws or a State constitutional requirement to have balanced budgets. Which is why it would be immediately ratified by at least 38 States if Congress ever passed the proposed federal Balanced Budget Amendment.

Quote:
6. Tell the American people that I asked Congress to put a bill on my desk that I can sign that term limits their Senate and Representative jobs and ask the people to pressure their Representative and Senators to do it or the people will get rid of them on the next Election Day.
Congressional term limits would require an amendment to the US Constitution, which the President does not sign.

Quote:
7. Full steam ahead for every kind of domestic energy plan...with no federal funding. You want to make electric cars, put up some windmills, drill for oil, mine for coal, etc., you're going to do it with private money.

8. No Federal public employee unions. If states want to allow state and local government employee unions that's their business. Federal workers are our employees as taxpayers.

9. The Federal government is out of the marriage business.

Quote:
10. Tell Congress to pass a law that says this: People will register and vote with their fingerprints on an electronic reader that verifies a fingerprint match. That takes away the photo ID requirement and the chance of felons voting. When people move from a state, they will be required by law to go to the Post Office and place their fingerprint on the reader to automatically de-register them in that state eliminating the lag time. If they don't do it they will be unable to register in their new state. The technology already exists. A workaround will be required for people with no hands. Funeral parlors will de-register deceased people also using fingerprint readers or face arrest.
How would you deal with absentee ballots? I like the biometric identification idea, some of the details will have to be worked out of course, but overall it is a good idea.

Quote:
11. Like Governor Perry suggested, all foreign governments will start with zero financial aid in my adminisitration and have to justify why they should be given any.
That justification is in the form of treaties, like the 1979 Camp David Accords. Carter was unable to broker a peace between Egypt and Israel, so he bought one using US taxpayer money, and the Democrat controlled Senate give their approval.

Quote:
12. Abolish the Department of Education. It has only been in existence since 1979 and our educational competitiveness has gone down since. Giving them money is like pissing in the wind. Ask GAO to audit the span of control in all federal government headquarters operations in all Departments and Agencies with an eye on an excessive number of executives and a trumped up workforce to justify those executive positions. Halve their travel budgets. More federal agencies should be using technology for meetings.
While I certainly agree with abolishing the Department of Education, that is something only Congress can accomplish. Congress creates and funds, all the Departments and Independent Agencies within the Executive Branch. As President you could certainly propose a smaller budget to Congress, and veto any appropriation bill you do not like, but ultimately the scope and size of the Executive Branch is determined by Congress, not the President.

Quote:
13. If your kid/kids are being fed in school, your food stamp allocation will be adjusted down, accordingly.
What business does the federal government have feeding any children or food stamps? Propose to Congress that they return that authority back to where it belongs, along with the funding, with the States. The States should be the ones determining who qualifies and for how much government assistance they require, not the federal government.

Quote:
14. Declare that the first lady/first man is not an elected position. They need to butt out of policy and influence decisions. First Lady/First Man experience is NOT executive experience (see Item 2).
It is already well known that the First Person is not an elected position. However, that would not stop a President from appointing the First Person to an official unelected position within their administration.

Quote:
15. No bailouts for anyone.
Congress enacts the bailouts, but as President you can of course veto the bill. If that does not work, you could create a Signing Statement refusing to enforce the law because it is unconstitutional.

Quote:
16. Strength through military might. A show of force is a good thing. You don't have to use them if your enemies know you will and can use them.
Our current military strength is 1.4 million, including the reserves. Congress determines the size of the military, so as President you can certainly propose a larger force. I concur with your philosophy, or as Teddy Roosevelt once said, "speak softly and carry a big stick."

Quote:
17. Students will be required to pass a citizenship test to get college money from the government therefore schools better teach that material. Catch my drift? No no-nothings will be going to college with the help of the federal government if they don't know what every foreign person is required to know if they want to become American citizens.
What business does the federal government have in issuing grants or loans for anyone's education? Again, this is an area that belongs wholly to the States.

You would also have issues with regard to the Fourteenth Amendment requiring citizenship tests. All those born within the jurisdiction of the US are automatically US citizens, no tests required. States could, however, impose more stringent civics requirements in order to gain admittance to State colleges and universities.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,755,188 times
Crush the millitary industrial complex.

Bully and coerce Congress into actually doing something.

That's about it folks.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:03 PM

12,857 posts, read 10,219,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
I'm not legally old enough to be President (not sure if I would really want to) but if I could and wanted to be President, I'd change quite a bit of things or push for them to happen:

1. Cut the age to be President/Senator/member of the House to 18 instead of 35/30/25 as it stands now. We need younger blood in office.

2. Get rid of the individual mandate on that stupid health care act. It's a bailout to the insurance companies (they have plenty of money).

3. Cut 90% of all government spending (too much pork). Yes, this includes the military, sorry!

4. Get rid of the Patriot Act and all the police state crap since 2001. You can't live in fear forever.

5. Keep Uncle Sam out of state government issues and restore state sovereignty. If some rural state wants to ban gay marriage...if they're so scared of gay people that they have to ban something like that, fine. But please don't bring the whole world into your state's drama, OK?

6. Start up good relations with all nations. No need to be a bad neighbor, eh?

7. Cut the salaries of all elected officials (executive, legislature, and judicial included) at the federal level by 70%. Do we really need to pay some Senator $100,000+ just to sound and look stupid on Cable News? Half of them look like jack o lanterns. Do you want to pay a jack o lantern more money in a year than you make in 2 or 3?

8. Make Congress the most powerful branch of the federal government. It's the closest to the people so it should have the most power. Why have the courts decide the laws as they do now?

9. Take away constitutional rights from corporations. Since when is a corporation a person? That's retarded.

10. Last, but not least....remake the White House into the Party House. Paint it some crazy color like blue and put a video game arcade in there. Washington looks stupid right now, it needs a makeover badly!!! (I had to say something stupid here, hahaha)

So, to the left wingers and right wingers...how would your Presidential regime work?
It sounds like you have no concept of how our checks and balances in the government actually work, much less the complexities involved in managing multiple conflicting priorities that have environmental, economic, military, and technological impacts across many different constituencies. It's easy to say, "Just cut everything and quit the bull****." It's much harder to actually have an effective plan.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:43 PM

994 posts, read 1,297,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It sounds like you have no concept of how our checks and balances in the government actually work, much less the complexities involved in managing multiple conflicting priorities that have environmental, economic, military, and technological impacts across many different constituencies. It's easy to say, "Just cut everything and quit the bull****." It's much harder to actually have an effective plan.
I do have a concept of it, better than you or most of CD's posters. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or