Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 06:54 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,909,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
They pulled the bodies of 17 Americans out of that rubble. Out of a total of 63 innocent people murdered. United States Marines climbed through the rubble to save each other and retrieve the bodies of their friends.

But thanks for your concern and that moment of quiet introspection.
i think that ALL americans are concerned about american deaths, past and present, but i think the point made was intended to address how we deal with this going forward, and how we protect our citizens now.

some of the trouble is still ongoing, embassies are under attack, and americans are still dying.

Taliban attack kills at two US Marines

September 15, 2012 - Updated 320 PKT

WASHINGTON: At least two US Marines were killed during what was described as a complex Taliban attack on base in southern Afghanistan, US officials told Reuters on Friday, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The incident at Camp Bastion in southern Helmand province also left others wounded, the officials said, without offering further details, including on the nationalities of the wounded. (Reuters)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 06:54 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,784,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i believe that is a myth that has been perpetrated on the american people to support "globalization". i think we have all heard of the fall of the roman empire.

if we had the money we waste overseas, we could start up many small businesses in america, secure our energy independence, develop natural gas and natural gas fueling stations, and do all the things that need to be done to help our country. don't you wonder why it has never been done?

we could have an explosion of new industry in america. also, if we secured our own borders we could get our unemployment rate down and wages would rise automatically.

i thought that obama's statement that egypt is neither a friend nor an enemy was very interesting. should we really be giving money to people who aren't our friends?

and, for the record, we certainly don't protect our trade now.
I can't go through all of your points as deeply as I'd like to, but I will say:

We are the police of the world, like it or not, and our military does protect trade. This isn't a debatable point. Next time you open up a cantaloupe or a grapefruit in winter tell yourself it didn't come from Africa or South America, and that globalization is a myth.

No we shouldn't be investing in a country that isn't our friend. How can Egypt be our friend after the way we betrayed Mubarak? How can any country trust us the way we've acted over the last 20 years?

The best way to fire up industry and create jobs is for the government to get out of the way. If you want the government to spend less, they should be given less to spend; and be required to stay within the budget.

Maybe having a budget would help.

When's the last time we had a budget?

When Bush was President!

Go Figure

Old 09-14-2012, 07:42 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,103,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Just a little perspective here. The bombing happened in 1983 under then president Ronald Reagan. In response, Reagan did nothing. Congress at the time approved 250 million in aid to Lebannon (after the bombing), which Reagan signed.

Hmmm. Wait a minute that must have been Obama's fault as well.

1983 United States embassy bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
After the Marine barracks was bombed Reagan had the USS New Jersey fire a few broadsides from her 16 inch guns at the Muslim militia positions in Beirut.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really? How so? Cuz I ain't seeing much difference....or at least not as much fundamental difference as you're seemingly alluding to.

The "difference" is that Reagan is deemed untouchable, and Obama isn't. That's it. End of differences.
That's right! Reagan was called the "Teflon President".

Old 09-14-2012, 10:49 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The sad part is none of you are getting it. We've been over there since our CIA helped over throw the democratically elected government in Iran in 1953. It's time we left. All we do is incite hatred when we occupy their land. Sanctions responsible for the deaths of 500k Iraqi children and we wonder why terrorists attack us?
By leaving you kill the reason they want to be terrorists. Only then will the killing of American stop. We should bring our troops home and protect our borders like the Constitution says. We protect other countries borders better than we protect ours and we sacrifice the lives of our sons and daughters in doing so. Our military personnel deserve better. They belong on American soil.
Wow we agree on something. Good post.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I'm sorry, I was speaking from the reality of things. Your only excuse for Obama, is Bush.
LOL...s'what i thought.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:20 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
After the Marine barracks was bombed Reagan had the USS New Jersey fire a few broadsides from her 16 inch guns at the Muslim militia positions in Beirut.
We are not talking about the Marine Barracks we are talking about the embassy.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:57 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The sad part is none of you are getting it. We've been over there since our CIA helped over throw the democratically elected government in Iran in 1953. It's time we left. All we do is incite hatred when we occupy their land. Sanctions responsible for the deaths of 500k Iraqi children and we wonder why terrorists attack us?
By leaving you kill the reason they want to be terrorists. Only then will the killing of American stop. We should bring our troops home and protect our borders like the Constitution says. We protect other countries borders better than we protect ours and we sacrifice the lives of our sons and daughters in doing so. Our military personnel deserve better. They belong on American soil.
Still beating the same dead horse? Are today savage attacks by incited mobs a result of 1953 coup in Iran? Or British and French 19th century colonialism? Isn't it time to understand that these backward societies are what they are regardless of our presence? And even we bring back US troops from the middle east, Muslims will be Muslims? Obama withdrew US troops from Iraq last year, yet every day massacres and suicide bombings continue and became more frequent! And the thousands of civilian dead in Syria (which don't infuriate Arabs or folks like you even a bit), is it because France occupied them in 1920?
They do the same in Pakistan, Nepal, Nigeria and Sudan. Will you ever be able to look at them not through your colored western liberal glasses?
To put things in perspective: Vietnam and Japan suffered terribly from the hand of US. Why doesn't Vietnam and Japan do the same as Arabs? If anyone is entitled, these two come first.
Even more crucial: would you agree to allow any of these countries develop nuclear weapons, just because we need to be fair?

Last edited by oberon_1; 09-15-2012 at 12:23 AM..

Old 09-15-2012, 02:21 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Right-

Obama had intelligence warnings about the attacks and chose to ignore them.
Doubtful. We're back to pre 9/11/2001 where multiple organizations had chatter and no one shared information. This probably happened again this past July when the film hit the internet. Someone should have done a plausability study on the viral effect on Muslim communities and why (and how) multiple Muslims groups were able to hold back the information flow for nearly two months so it would hit the fan around 9/11/2012 instead of when it actually hit the net.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:37 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,909,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I can't go through all of your points as deeply as I'd like to, but I will say:

We are the police of the world, like it or not, and our military does protect trade. This isn't a debatable point. Next time you open up a cantaloupe or a grapefruit in winter tell yourself it didn't come from Africa or South America, and that globalization is a myth.

No we shouldn't be investing in a country that isn't our friend. How can Egypt be our friend after the way we betrayed Mubarak? How can any country trust us the way we've acted over the last 20 years?

The best way to fire up industry and create jobs is for the government to get out of the way. If you want the government to spend less, they should be given less to spend; and be required to stay within the budget.

Maybe having a budget would help.

When's the last time we had a budget?

When Bush was President!

Go Figure
first, let me say that i can grow a cantaloupe or grapefruit in florida, as can many other people. i realize that you were trying to be symbolic there, but i don't think there is anything that we get anywhere else that we can't get here. (except maybe a few rare earth minerals). we have so many resources in this country, and do so little to advance them that it is a crying shame. i bet we could actually buy those minerals if we had the cash we waste trying to bribe other countries and police the world.

if we brought all the soldiers back we could put them to work defending our borders, building the pipeline, and working on natural gas fuel stations. there would be more businesses created because americans here need to eat here, buy their clothes here, shop here, get housing here, etc.

of course, american energy independence means the end of looting the country as we know it.

we go to other countries, destroy them, and then rebuild them-and it is beyond insane. symbolically, our program where we pay the families of people we kill speaks to the idiocy of these wars. gaddafi did what we asked, and he died. the doctor who "gave up" bin laden is in jail right now, and our foreign policy is in shambles. there are riots in tunisia, egypt, libya, and elsewhere around the world, and they are burning down american buildings and looting them.

i agree 100% about getting the government out of the way. the government is our own worst enemy, and its own worst enemy. they want a robust private sector to fund all their projects, yet they interfere with every business in this country to justify their own jobs.

i guess when cowards are in office and in congress, sequestration is going to be the only way to deal with the lack of a budget. there is ZERO political will to fix the problems in america, and spending is the only thing they know how to do.

if we stop funding these terrorists (and they are muslim terrorists-not "coptic christian" terrorists as the media would have you believe), the people will realize sooner, rather than later, that the terrorists offer them nothing in the way of better lives for the citizens.

Last edited by floridasandy; 09-15-2012 at 04:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies