Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:32 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,001 times

Advertisements

If you want to make it a case about probation violation for use of a computer, that is a different matter all together. But there are those of you who think he responsible for the violence of others and some of you who think his making that movie alone and the violence that followed, makes him a criminal.

That is like saying if you mock me here and upset me, and I go out and commit violence, that you are liable for it.

I have often seen people excuse crude comedy that attacks and calls other people this and that. So if that is okay, why is his movie not okay, and criminal in your minds, for those that think it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 08:32 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
they are trying to do anything rather than take responsibility for their failed policy!!
they are still trying to say this is not directed at the US!!
Good grief they are burning a likeness of obama!!
This attact was well planed out and worn was given but ignored!!
they are using the "flim" over there to wip up hatered
and where is obama??
campaining/yucking it up
and he is also SHOCKED that he is hated over there!!
VOTE HIS ASS OUT!!!!
Who is "they"?

"Word" was not given out. Show proof that it was.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
If you want to make it a case about probation violation for use of a computer, that is a different matter all together. But there are those of you who think he responsible for the violence of others and some of you who think his making that movie alone and the violence that followed, makes him a criminal.

That is like saying if you mock me here and upset me, and I go out and commit violence, that you are liable for it.

I have often seen people excuse crude comedy that attacks and calls other people this and that. So if that is okay, why is his movie not okay, and criminal in your minds, for those that think it is?
And these are the people that you need to fear. They would willingly give up YOUR freedoms so that they can feel "safe".

Old 09-15-2012, 08:39 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
Quote:

No, making the "movie" does not make him a criminal. He already was a criminal, having been convicted of a felony and served time in a federal prison, and at this time is currently out on parole. So he established his credentials as a criminal before the made this "movie."

You guys should take a deep breath and realize that there are some limits on free speech. Lawyers will be looking at whether or not he violated free speech rights. AT the moment, the President and the Secty of State is saying he has the right to free speech and we can't do anything about this.

If the guy is not legally guilty of anything related to the violence and deaths, then he certainly is morally guilty. From what I've seen, which is what's been made available to the public, it doesn't seem to me that he is legally guilty of anything related to the deaths, violence, and destruction.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And these are the people that you need to fear. They would willingly give up YOUR freedoms so that they can feel "safe".
Sad but true.

In the words of Barack, who must have said this a thousand times, let me be clear (except in this instance, I am actually being clear). I think, from what I have seen of this movie, that it is dumb, obviously offensive to some, cheap, and in poor taste. However, I can also say that about many Hollywood movies, tv shows, news talk shows, ect. We either have freedom of speech, or we do not.

I have no problem with people being upset at content from different mediums. It is perfectly fine to speak out against something and give your feelings on something you find offensive or in poor taste or whatever else. However, it never excuses violence or riots. You do not blame the people who say this or that for the actions of those who incite violence. If the content specifically incites violence, asking people and prompting people to get violent, perhaps that is another matter. But in this case, and most others, the content does not do that in any way.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:42 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why are all you RWs so concerned about this guy's "due process"? You were also supposedly similarly concerned about the 'rights' of Osama bin Laden and the Somali pirates. Where'd this concern come from, all of a sudden?
I do not know that due process has actually been discussed here. Perhaps I missed it but if it had been it was on a small scale.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:42 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:

is?
He is not being charged for starting the riots, he is being questioned for parole violations. If someone has an opinion that making such movies is a crime, then that is only their personal view. IMO Making such movies is incredibly irresponsible, but not a crime. This guy was a criminal already before making this movie.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
No, making the "movie" does not make him a criminal. He already was a criminal, having been convicted of a felony and served time in a federal prison, and at this time is currently out on parole. So he established his credentials as a criminal before the made this "movie."

You guys should take a deep breath and realize that there are some limits on free speech. Lawyers will be looking at whether or not he violated free speech rights. AT the moment, the President and the Secty of State is saying he has the right to free speech and we can't do anything about this.

If the guy is not legally guilty of anything related to the violence and deaths, then he certainly is morally guilty. From what I've seen, which is what's been made available to the public, it doesn't seem to me that he is legally guilty of anything related to the deaths, violence, and destruction.
If I watch a Hollywood film, that insults or mocks me or something I believe in, then they are at the very least morally responsible for anything I do as a result? I understand as of now you do not see him as legally guilty, though I think others still come to the conclusion he is some how, but even morally, what if there is no violence as a result. Are the makers of something that mocks/insults still morally guilty, or does someone on the other end have to commit violence to make it so?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He is not being charged for starting the riots, he is being questioned for parole violations. If someone has an opinion that making such movies is a crime, then that is only their personal view. IMO Making such movies is incredibly irresponsible, but not a crime.
Okay, then I have no issues with that. We can agree on that, and I take responsibility for not fully being read up on his past and probation violations. I do believe there are those that think he is criminal just for making an insulting movie that led to others reacting with violence. And I think they're wrong for believing that.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
If I watch a Hollywood film, that insults or mocks me or something I believe in, then they are at the very least morally responsible for anything I do as a result? I understand as of now you do not see him as legally guilty, though I think others still come to the conclusion he is some how, but even morally, what if there is no violence as a result. Are the makers of something that mocks/insults still morally guilty, or does someone on the other end have to commit violence to make it so?
Seems to me that the perpetrators of this violence are becoming the "victims".
Where have we seen this before.....

"They only did it because so-and-so made them. They are not responsible for their actions."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies