Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:26 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,532,408 times

Advertisements

Or at least I would love it if it actually happened:

16 moderate Muslim preachers shot dead in Mali; beards may have raised military’s suspicion - The Washington Post

Quote:
Sixteen Muslim preachers from a moderate sect were shot dead in central Mali as they traveled by road to a religious conference, the Malian and Mauritanian governments said Sunday. Early reports indicate that the men’s long beards aroused the suspicion of Mali’s military, which confused them for the extremists who have taken over the nation’s north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 01:30 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,186,081 times
all of the moderate Muslims speaking out against the radicals...

They're doing such a good job you can hear the crickets chirping

Old 09-16-2012, 01:31 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,147,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Perhaps if you opened your eyes, I realize adding the mind would be a stretch

?It's not part of our faith?: Local Muslims speak out against violent protests in Libya, Yemen - News - Press and Guide

New moderate Muslim group aims anti-extremism message at youth | Canada | News | National Post

Many easily found reports if you were really interested.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:36 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,411,033 times
If they speak out against the radicals, the radicals will probably kill them.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:50 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,532,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
If they speak out against the radicals, the radicals will probably kill them.
That was the point of the article I linked to.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:02 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,185,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
That was the point of the article I linked to.
I guess burdell failed to read your article and read only his. Pretty normal, though.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:05 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,764,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've said the same thing on another thread. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. The media that has a wide reach has no interest in news that may show ANOTHER SIDE to events because it wouldn't help their ratings. Bad news equates to higher ratings. It seems there is quite an audience for people who are mesmerized by bad events. It is only the local TV stations and local media that are letting their audience and readership know that Muslims are denouncing the violence.

It seems people want Muslims to come out and denounce the violence AND apologize (once again) for something that other people of the same faith are doing.

That's quite a big brush people have tarring everyone for the actions of the ignorant, uneducated, radicals.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess burdell failed to read your article and read only his. Pretty normal, though.
How's the weather up there on yer high-horse there Roy?

The OP stated "I am loving all of the moderate Muslims speaking out against the radicals...

Or at least I would love it if it actually happened"

I merely pointed out there are MANY reports that it DID happen and they are easy to find if one chooses to pull their head out of the sand or where ever it is and actually look.

Perhaps the lack of oxygen up there at altitude is making it difficult for you to keep up?

Old 09-16-2012, 02:11 PM

20,103 posts, read 16,064,294 times
Three of the doctors my family had used where we used to live were Muslim. They were kind, patient, and caring. Other than all three had trouble keeping appointments on time, I really liked them and I would recommend them anyway. I try to remember these three wonderful people whenever I read about the horrors the nut jobs visit on people. Just like I don't want to be judged by the actions of the Westboro church members I'm sure they don't want to be judged by others' acts. But yeah, I really wish more moderate Muslims would condemn the radicals' action. I suspect too often they don't because they are afraid to.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Three of the doctors my family had used where we used to live were Muslim. They were kind, patient, and caring. Other than all three had trouble keeping appointments on time, I really liked them and I would recommend them anyway. I try to remember these three wonderful people whenever I read about the horrors the nut jobs visit on people. Just like I don't want to be judged by the actions of the Westboro church members I'm sure they don't want to be judged by others' acts. But yeah, I really wish more moderate Muslims would condemn the radicals' action. I suspect too often they don't because they are afraid to.
And perhaps partly because their talk doesn't make as good TV as flames & firearms and isn't as zealously reported?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies