Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 12:08 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock56 View Post
I know this does not apply to all Government Workers...However in my experience dealing with government workers it seems that most wouldn't make it in the private sector... I think the following from a government employee proves my point...

"it is assumed that the government employee is lazy. This is a fairly accurate assumption. While not true for each and every employee, it is correct for most. When you become employed by the government, what usually happens is you become part of a union. This is a good thing for the employee, because from this point on, he or she has job security. As long as you do not do something enormously stupid, chances are you will never be fired. Lectured, yes. A bad mark on your permanent record, maybe. Pressured to quit, certainly. But if you have stamina and balls, then you have a job for the rest of your life. As soon as you get comfy, the slack begins. Hour lunches turn into hour and a half lunches. Work starts at 9:00 AM, but if you get here 9:30 AM, you're still on time. Go figure. And best of all, you get "wash up" time which means that at 4:50 PM every day you are excused to go "wash up", which means you get to bail and get on the T early, as opposed to the rest of the other poor schmucks working around Government Center who get out at 5:00 PM. You would think that the government employees are leaving early as you see them running out of City Hall at this time, but in fact, the people who are leaving early are already home because they left anywhere around 4:30 PM. So counting smoking breaks (which you learn to take even if you don't smoke), regularly scheduled 15-minute breaks, getting in late, leaving early, extended lunch, and of course social gatherings around the water cooler... the average employee may work approximately four hours, while being paid for seven. This is the epitome of being lazy.

Lastly, resentment. I do believe some people are jealous of the so called high life that the government employees take advantage of. Plenty of people try to acquire one of these positions, but usually people get promoted from within. Unless you are related to someone, or sleep with someone, your chances of getting a job here are slim to none. And no... I didn't sleep with anyone (this time) to get my job, I took a co-op position which most any loser can acquire for a small fee. Close enough for government work is so true. Half assed is standard around here. You get a small amount of power to bully the average citizens. As they say, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. This all contributes to the bitter and pompous attitude of the government employee.

Now, don't get me wrong. I dread being a government employee. It is not the ideal work environment. We get 13 paid holidays, the internet connection is pretty fast, and you can slack consistently, but there's no free snacks, no fooseball and there is the fear of being a government employee for the rest of your life. I want out. But I am also perplexed, because I don't actively pursue another job. I just sit and gripe and node on the taxpayer's buck. I think I am on my way to being a really great government employee. So if you run into me, ask me how the job search goes. In the meantime, I am a government employee. Hear me snore.... ROAR. I mean roar."
Please be clearer in your claim. By government employee do you mean FED and state/city?

Having worked for the fed for 20 years, there is a LOT in your claim I disagree with.

Just one point, MOST fed workers do NOT belong to a union. Those that do are usual below the GS-12 level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 03:26 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Since government employees aren't held as closely accountable compared to the private sector, they wont do as good a job. It's human nature.

Government employees are held as accountable as private-sector ones, IMO. It's that the whole concept of "accountability" in government is different than the private sector.

Private sector you're expected to grow the business, and turning a profit is fundamental to 'accountability.'

Public sector the goals are way more confusing and conflicting, where you don't get rewarded for success, and you'll quite possibly be severely penalized if you try and change things in any way.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:38 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Government employees are held as accountable as private-sector ones, IMO. It's that the whole concept of "accountability" in government is different than the private sector.
They don't get rid of the bad ones. That's not holding the employee accountable to be productive imo.

From April 2015
the Government Accountability Office dropped a bombshell: only 0.18 percent of the federal workforce was fired for poor performance and bad conduct last year. Can anyone name another employer who so little weeds out bad workers?

End life tenure for federal employees | TheHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Private sector you're expected to grow the business, and turning a profit is fundamental to 'accountability.'

Public sector the goals are way more confusing and conflicting, where you don't get rewarded for success, and you'll quite possibly be severely penalized if you try and change things in any way.
I agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies