Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:25 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,239,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Thank you, public sector unions, for protecting the bad employees.
Unions do not protect them.
Bad management does.

Don't let reality get in your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 10:27 AM

4,321 posts, read 5,122,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock56 View Post
calm down...and take your medication...
Nice, you've confirmed my correctness.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:27 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,651,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock56 View Post
I know this does not apply to all Government Workers...However in my experience dealing with government workers it seems that most wouldn't make it in the private sector... I think the following from a government employee proves my point...

"it is assumed that the government employee is lazy. This is a fairly accurate assumption. While not true for each and every employee, it is correct for most. When you become employed by the government, what usually happens is you become part of a union. This is a good thing for the employee, because from this point on, he or she has job security. As long as you do not do something enormously stupid, chances are you will never be fired. Lectured, yes. A bad mark on your permanent record, maybe. Pressured to quit, certainly. But if you have stamina and balls, then you have a job for the rest of your life. As soon as you get comfy, the slack begins. Hour lunches turn into hour and a half lunches. Work starts at 9:00 AM, but if you get here 9:30 AM, you're still on time. Go figure. And best of all, you get "wash up" time which means that at 4:50 PM every day you are excused to go "wash up", which means you get to bail and get on the T early, as opposed to the rest of the other poor schmucks working around Government Center who get out at 5:00 PM. You would think that the government employees are leaving early as you see them running out of City Hall at this time, but in fact, the people who are leaving early are already home because they left anywhere around 4:30 PM. So counting smoking breaks (which you learn to take even if you don't smoke), regularly scheduled 15-minute breaks, getting in late, leaving early, extended lunch, and of course social gatherings around the water cooler... the average employee may work approximately four hours, while being paid for seven. This is the epitome of being lazy.

Lastly, resentment. I do believe some people are jealous of the so called high life that the government employees take advantage of. Plenty of people try to acquire one of these positions, but usually people get promoted from within. Unless you are related to someone, or sleep with someone, your chances of getting a job here are slim to none. And no... I didn't sleep with anyone (this time) to get my job, I took a co-op position which most any loser can acquire for a small fee. Close enough for government work is so true. Half assed is standard around here. You get a small amount of power to bully the average citizens. As they say, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. This all contributes to the bitter and pompous attitude of the government employee.

Now, don't get me wrong. I dread being a government employee. It is not the ideal work environment. We get 13 paid holidays, the internet connection is pretty fast, and you can slack consistently, but there's no free snacks, no fooseball and there is the fear of being a government employee for the rest of your life. I want out. But I am also perplexed, because I don't actively pursue another job. I just sit and gripe and node on the taxpayer's buck. I think I am on my way to being a really great government employee. So if you run into me, ask me how the job search goes. In the meantime, I am a government employee. Hear me snore.... ROAR. I mean roar."
I have to agree

Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 AM

17,389 posts, read 11,940,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It doesn't apply to the vast majority of government workers. Of course it applys to some, but that goes for the private sector too.
Really?

Federal employees work less than private sector: report | The Daily Caller

Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,702,948 times
Jeez! You guiuys woke me up BUt than again it is time for lunch

Old 09-17-2012, 10:42 AM

4,099 posts, read 4,132,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Good workers will always be good workers - government or private. Bad workers are less likely to be fired from a government job than their private sector counterparts.

The end result is you have a government of hard-working employees working even harder to cover for the slackers.
That's conventional wisdom.

Hard worker will not work for the government. Yes, not everyone is money driven. Some will work for satisfaction. Hard workers has 1 fatal flaw, they work hard. The more you work, the higher your chance of making mistake. Making mistake in my humble opinion is a good thing, that's how most of us learn, myself included. But when you have incompetence boss, then making mistake is a bad thing. They don't see all the work you have done, but they see you made the mistake. Because you work hard, you make him look lazy. In the matter of fact, they can care less how much you put in, because there is no deadline. They just want you to show up and obey orders.

Btw, when I say hard worker, I am referring people who work smart, not hard labor.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:42 AM

7,971 posts, read 7,329,817 times
Not saying one way or another, but after I was laid off three years ago, I was advised by my job search mentor at the useless CareerLink Center to take my civil service exam, because I'd "get a position with regular raises, lots of vacation and sick time, and a lower work load than I'd find in the private sector." Now, why would he tell me that?

Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 AM

629 posts, read 944,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Not saying one way or another, but after I was laid off three years ago, I was advised by my job search mentor at the useless CareerLink Center to take my civil service exam, because I'd "get a position with regular raises, lots of vacation and sick time, and a lower work load than I'd find in the private sector." Now, why would he tell me that?
Because it's true, but those jobs are notoriously hard to get and the salaries trend lower overall.

You could look at government employment as something that people who value security over risk and high return are attracted to.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:57 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,616,422 times

Yes, we've already noted that the well-respected, non-Partisan Heritage Foundation, decided to fund (manipulate) a study. It's already been shot full of holes. But you keep on believing.

I won't credit myself for the following sentiment. I found on the "internets" but it is worthwhile to remember this when using Heritage Foundation claims as your source for "facts."

Quote:
The Heritage Foundation is nothing more than a shill for the libertarian political viewpoint, and funded by a host of billionaires of that persuasion, including the Koch Brothers. It is not an ivory tower research group as it pretends to be. It has a radical libertarian free market agenda that it is required to be a proponent of and it will manipulate information to serve that purpose. Therefore its credibility on all subjects should be scrutinized heavily - it is an activist group, not an independent thinktank. It is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:41 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,401,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Unions do not protect them.
Bad management does.

Don't let reality get in your way.
Reality is that public sector unions make it almost impossible to fire substandard employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies