Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:02 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I can tell you've never met an actual liberal, just read about caricatures of them from Ann Coulter and Glenn Beck agitprop Maybe step out of the backwoods for a bit

sure he has, they work the drive thru @ chick-fil-a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 06:49 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
That's true but the U.S did have a civil rights movement. This hasn't happened in various countries that could also use some sort of movement to reduce discrimination and racist entertainment.
Places like Brazil have had small civil rights movements since the 1930s, but only in the late 1970s was any real impact made. They still have a long way to go there, and Brazil has one of the stronger black movements in Latin America.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
You have to be kidding me. You keep believing that.
You don't agree, then?

Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
My grandmother was an Afro-Honduran so I do keep up with Afro-Latin culture. In Latin America blacks are not advertised until they accomplish great athletic feats. Many countries, for the longest, tried to hide their black populations!
Not that long ago, blacks in Limon, Costa Rica, were not allowed to leave the region. They couldn't even travel to their national capital, San Jose.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If Latin America is held back because of racism, then what does that make Haiti? They haven't had a white leader in how long? So, it's not racism that's holding back a lot of Latin American countries it's political corruption, plain and simple
Haiti doesn't have any whites, period. The culture of the Dom. Republic, on the other hand, is anti-black even though it's an 85% black country.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:19 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Throughout this post I have yet to hear that the bottom latins do not have the violent history towards it darker brethren unlike here in america had (and is still has). From what I see is that they have been conditioned to believe that being white (or close to it) offers it's own rewards. The difference is that they don't hide it and we do. Sadly enough there were (and still are) blacks in this country that try very hard to "pass" for whites under the belief that "white is right"
Different cultures. I say that cause a light skin "Black" in the US ain't "Black" in LatAm probably cause full on white people are rare there and the "whites" still have the power.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:07 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Not that long ago, blacks in Limon, Costa Rica, were not allowed to leave the region. They couldn't even travel to their national capital, San Jose.
My sister-in-law parents are from Limon, and are of Jamaican descent.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:09 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I didn't say racism was the only criteria for lagging development but in the case of Latin America it has been a big factor. That said, Haiti has an awful history of colorism when it comes to skin color and the so called mulatto elite has a lot of contempt for the darker Haitians and view them with disdain.
I asked a Haitain friend in high school why the country was so messed up and the first thing he pointed to was his skin. I think, if anything, colorism is a bigger issue in many Latin American countries. Especially when you consider how mixed the people are in the region.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:30 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I saw this a few years back. It's weired where some countries are on race.

Latin American Racism on TV & it's North American Corporate Sponsors - YouTube

Latino's are not as sensitive to race as people here in general. They will be a majority soon in the USA, food for thought.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Latino's are not as sensitive to race as people here in general. They will be a majority soon in the USA, food for thought.
That's why I find the Hispanic/African coalition within the Democrat party confounding.

I don't think Jesse and Al realize that "Roberto" and "Fernando" do not have White guilt complexes and will not baby sit their people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies