Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 11:49 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
If they've run lines to your house, you have an easement with them.

the lines that they ran to my home were paid for by me. you do know you can buy those from the power company, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 11:57 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the lines that they ran to my home were paid for by me. you do know you can buy those from the power company, do you?
Is the power company still responsible for maintaining the lines?

Old 09-18-2012, 12:00 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
I'd like some more data on those charts. The source does not appear very unbiased, and the person who made the chart is a lecturer on nuclear policy, what are his qualifications?

I'm also curious why smart meters would need to use so much more power than a cell phone... I'm also curious why certain types of radiowaves are apparently fine (solar radiation), whereas man made radiowaves are bad. I ask this, because we get nailed 24/7 with high levels of solar radiation, and yet people are worried about smart meters.
I provided links. No one is unbiased. Though time consuming good to read the data, how it is captured and implemented and who pays for it. That is why I included different kind of links.

I suggest you read up on both the organization who did the study and the individual that corrected the report. His point is however obvious. Compare apples to apples. They simply appeared to copy brochure data for that w/ such a blatant anomaly.

Here is some information on the lecturer.
Daniel Hirsch, Lecturer On Nuclear Policy, University of California | ZoomInfo.com
He seems willing to put his name on what he says, rather than hide behind a nameless corp.

There are many different types of radiation with differing effects. Your assessment of man-made vs natural is seriously flawed.

Solar radiation is damaging. Did you miss the decades of studies on skin cancer? Have you not seen UV damage on many different objects?

Old 09-18-2012, 12:01 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Is the power company still responsible for maintaining the lines?

nope, only if I call them or they call me 1st. I own the line from the outside pole right up to my home. the line came down last year after we got straight line winds, i didnt call the company, they came by 3 weeks later after they called me to say when they would be over. until then it just stayed on the ground.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Here is some information on the lecturer.
Daniel Hirsch, Lecturer On Nuclear Policy, University of California | ZoomInfo.com
He seems willing to put his name on what he says, rather than hide behind a nameless corp.
- Generally speaking, information on the authors is available for any legitimate study.

- Hirsch has either not submitted his findings for peer review, or it was not accepted. I checked EBSCO, PubMed and MedLine.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
nope, only if I call them or they call me 1st. I own the line from the outside pole right up to my home. the line came down last year after we got straight line winds, i didnt call the company, they came by 3 weeks later after they called me to say when they would be over. until then it just stayed on the ground.
If they came out and repaired the line, I can all but guarantee you the easement exists.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Smart meters are new technology...wireless is not.

Uhh, no. It was considered "potentially" carcinogenic, but that theory was flawed in itself and now outdated.

Cell phones are as carcinogenic as coffee

That's not a peer reviewed study. It's a blog post that analyzes the results of other studies, all of which appear to be meta-analysis, which has it's own problems.

Meta-analysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You should have read this one. From the PDF.

Again, not peer reviewed.

Still not peer reviewed.
The WHO and others recognize it as a carcinogen, like lead.
Only the one study was peer reviewed. No it wasn't a direct link to the peer reviewed study. I didn't claim the others were. The "theory" is hardly outdated. All things are biased including science. That is a given. Yes it should be considered.

You seem all to willing to make health choices for others. Not everyone agrees. Wireless is actually fairly new and so are studies on its effects which is why I said relatively new.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
- Generally speaking, information on the authors is available for any legitimate study.

- Hirsch has either not submitted his findings for peer review, or it was not accepted. I checked EBSCO, PubMed and MedLine.
Did you even look at what the report was referencing and who did it? Peer review wasn't even an issue w/ this. Pretty black and white. I in fact did read the report. There are issues with it. Why I posted both links.

This is a corporate council report not a peer reviewed study. One that was mixing different units of measurement to present a graph. Only peer review needed for that is an elementary education. All he did was go through the report and point out these areas.

There are all kind of studies, peer reviewed or not. Science and people do not agree on safety. Therefore they should have some choices. You may think it is all settled, but plenty do not agree with you.
There are plenty of studies like this that show just short term effects, never mind long term. Safety simply is assumed for things that people will be exposed to long term.
Here's one with significant findings. They are all over.

Evidence for mobile phone radiation exposure effects on reproductive pattern of male rats: Role of ROS.
Sleep EEG alterations: effects of pulsed magnetic fields versus pulse-modulated radio frequency electromagnetic fields.

Last edited by CDusr; 09-18-2012 at 12:44 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 12:29 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Did you even look at what the report was referencing and who did it? Peer review isn't even an issue w/ this. Pretty black and white.

This is a corporate council report not a peer reviewed study. One that was comparing different units of measurement. Only peer review needed for that is an elementary education.
Where do you see a comparison on a graph using different units of measurement? What exact units of measure were used (and which were different) for each of the 6 different devices: Cell Phone, Microwave, Smartmeter 3, Smartmeter 10, WiFi, Radio?

Oh, and skimming through the report your linked blog links to, the supposedly wrong chart he looks at and "corrects" isn't even found in there.

Last edited by hammertime33; 09-18-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
The WHO and others recognize it as a carcinogen, like lead.
No, they considered it possibly carcinogenic.

WHO: Cellphones possibly carcinogenic - USATODAY.com

Quote:
Only the one study was peer reviewed. No it wasn't a direct link to the peer reviewed study. I didn't claim the others were. The "theory" is hardly outdated. All things are biased including science. That is a given. Yes it should be considered.
When some of these studies start standing up under legitimate peer review, then we can talk.

Quote:
You seem all to willing to make health choices for others. Not everyone agrees. Wireless is actually fairly new and so are studies on its effects which is why I said relatively new.
Actually, I'm just pointing out that the science here shows there is no verifiable health risk. Trust me, I've been down similar roads regarding things like aspartame and vaccines. There are lots of people out there who are, to put it kindly....quacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies