U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 12:49 AM

12,775 posts, read 8,030,040 times

Advertisements

List of groups fighting Smart Meters per state. List includes contacts for Canada, Australia and UK.
Contacts Database | Stop Smart Meters!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 12:49 AM

13,367 posts, read 15,891,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
You cant be serious!!
I am serious. Why would you think I'm not?

Old 09-18-2012, 01:00 AM

12,775 posts, read 8,030,040 times
Smart Meters fires.

What a week. The gavel had hardly fallen on the Maryland Public Service Commission’s smart meter fire hearing when news came through of 3 new reported home fires started by smart meters in the Chicago area. In Pennsylvania, Peco Energy now admits to 26 smart meter fires and has halted installations while an inquiry by the Pennsylvania PUC was stepped up on Friday. Growing rumors of a possible recall have shaken the industry.
A Canadian electrician told Stop Smart Meters!:
“Electrical professionals are horrified as they had no idea laborers were swapping meters under load. It is so dangerous and puts the homeowners electrical systems, family as well as investment at risk. The smart grid is a mess created by greedy stupid people.
News Round Up: Smart Meter Fires Tell

Old 09-18-2012, 01:07 AM

11,542 posts, read 7,333,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
Who are these retards against smart meters? I have one, it's great. You don't want a smart meter? Fine, put on some solar panels and live off grid.
Enjoy

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...es-huge-flames

ComEd Meters and Fires: Com Ed smart meters involved in fires - WGN

Old 09-18-2012, 01:35 AM

6,781 posts, read 4,248,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
In Nevada they allow you to delay installation, but not to fully opt out. This woman wanted her SmartMeter removed, which they installed without her permission. They refused, so she had it removed herself, and installed an analog. They showed up on her property with guns. Read her story.

Smart Meter or NO Power at All? Nevada Energy Sends Three Armed Men to Disconnect Power- Just for
Our power company had independent contractors install them. I happened to catch him and ask what the hello he was doing (we got no notice). I said I guess this means my bill would go up, he said yes. Sure enough it has. It's on the back of the garage and never has bothered me, never hear it when I've been back there. They put new lines down the alley and I noticed today they were making a high pitched sound (which is weird). Nothing from the meter though.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:47 AM

31,211 posts, read 27,601,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In Austin the utility company is turning off people's AC during certain times of the day.
On guy on the Austin forum said he came home and the house was 89 degrees and his AC was off.
Smart meter of course.
That's exactly what I feared three years ago and it's going to be worse because of the stupid da*n electric cars.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:30 AM

13,680 posts, read 21,163,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Great stuff CD, and freaking unbelievable to hear her trying to argue about 'safety' while cutting off electricity to families.
I am so glad I started researching on the net as soon as I heard about these meters. I found the 800 number for the delay list and put us on it. I also received calls from PGE about being on the list, AFTER we were on the list, not sure what the purpose of that was. What they do is install these things during the day when people are not home and completely unaware. Rather than making the public seek out the info, they should be asking permission of the homeowners, but that's not what they are doing. I believe CA has it, so that if a home or business is sold, it gets a SmartMeter.
There is a lawsuit in Sacramento, until a ruling, our only option is to be on this delay list.
Out here in Sacramento, our electric company is SMUD (Sacramento Muni Utility District). I tried to opt out of their smart meter program, but eventually had to give up due to the severe surcharges for anyone who decided to opt out.

They had a one time fee of $127.00, plus a monthly electric bill surcharge of $39.40. Having now gotten a few bills with the smart meter charges, I can tell you they increase the kWh rates by as much as 70% during peak usage hours.

I find the whole smart meter issue rather repulsive, myself. Kind of brings to light what happens when you deal with a monopoly.

http://www.consumersdigest.com/speci...be-a-dumb-idea

Old 09-18-2012, 08:21 AM

637 posts, read 385,957 times
So anything that could be defective, should not be owned? Tell me, do you own a computer and/or a cell phone? I'm going to guess you do - but I wonder why, because those have also burst into flames, so according to you, we shouldn't own them.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:23 AM

637 posts, read 385,957 times
Double post

Last edited by qr5667; 09-18-2012 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: Sorry, my computer burst into flames.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:32 AM

8,487 posts, read 4,859,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
Not nice. This is theft as well as a potential threat to his health, depending on his health status. If he is a horse's azs, then what are you?
Um I would say maybe a "criminal"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies