Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:51 AM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times

Advertisements

Its getting better everyday.....

Your Surgeon May Not Be a Doctor - SmartMoney.com

I guess more and more patients will seek PROFESSIONAL help outside the US...
Of course the poor and low income would me stuck with wannabe-doctors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 12:52 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
I've wondered about mine! Thanks Elnina!

Old 09-18-2012, 01:22 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,776 times
Hey, when I clicked, I got the "Page Not Found" message!

Old 09-18-2012, 01:29 AM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
^^^ Wonder why??? I still can see the page just fine.
Your Surgeon May Not Be a Doctor - SmartMoney.com
if still problems, please go from here ( warning: this site is updated weekly, every Monday)
Consumer World: Everything Consumer

Old 09-18-2012, 04:40 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,250,505 times
That's just scary!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
That's just scary!
What is scary, IMO, is the rushed American doctor who charges a fortune for his services, and prescribes and prescribes many medications for the same patient.

I have been treated by nurse practitioners and physician assistants several times, and was impressed with the amount of time and quality of personal interaction. I would not have qualms, unless we were talking about surgery.

I spent a good number of years as a volunteer companion/caretaker for terminally ill persons. I will never forget one day in what was purported to be the the latest and greatest nursing home for the terminally ill in NYC for persons with HIV. I was standing next to the nurses station as the doctor in charge of the facility was reviewing and evaluating the medications for the patients as a nurse read him the names and recorded his orders.

The first couple or three went routinely, about number four the doctor gave his orders and the nurse looked up and said in a cold voice, "Dr. I told you, the patient is taking A and B medication, if we give her C as you have just ordered she will go into shock and could die." The dr. did and quick, "Oh, yes," and changed his orders. A couple of more patients were reviewed. Then the nurse read out the condition and medications for the next, and the doctor gaves his orders. I will never forget what happened next: She slammed the book closed and shouted at him, "If we give him that, HE WILL DIE!!!!!!!!!!!"

The jerk turned red, smirked (!) and changed the order.

I left.

Don't believe that M.D. after someone's name is any gold-plated guarantee if competence.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:44 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Moved as the topic is fraud not health.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I have received care from PAs before for minor, everyday things like flu, UTIs, etc. They're perfectly capable of diagnosing and treating these extremely common run-of-the-mill conditions; why pay extra for a doctor when a PA will do?

Old 09-18-2012, 07:47 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,439 times
Some of the biggest idiots I've worked with are MDs. I can easily think of half a dozen times I've had to correct a doctor when they wanted to prescribe something that's either flat out wrong, dangerous, or the wrong dosage. Some of the best providers I've worked with are mid-levels (PA or NP).

As a future NP I look forward to my scope of practice increasing and being able to provide diagnostic services with a nurses touch.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:47 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
What is scary, IMO, is the rushed American doctor who charges a fortune for his services, and prescribes and prescribes many medications for the same patient.

I have been treated by nurse practitioners and physician assistants several times, and was impressed with the amount of time and quality of personal interaction. I would not have qualms, unless we were talking about surgery.

I spent a good number of years as a volunteer companion/caretaker for terminally ill persons. I will never forget one day in what was purported to be the the latest and greatest nursing home for the terminally ill in NYC for persons with HIV. I was standing next to the nurses station as the doctor in charge of the facility was reviewing and evaluating the medications for the patients as a nurse read him the names and recorded his orders.

The first couple or three went routinely, about number four the doctor gave his orders and the nurse looked up and said in a cold voice, "Dr. I told you, the patient is taking A and B medication, if we give her C as you have just ordered she will go into shock and could die." The dr. did and quick, "Oh, yes," and changed his orders. A couple of more patients were reviewed. Then the nurse read out the condition and medications for the next, and the doctor gaves his orders. I will never forget what happened next: She slammed the book closed and shouted at him, "If we give him that, HE WILL DIE!!!!!!!!!!!"

The jerk turned red, smirked (!) and changed the order.

I left.

Don't believe that M.D. after someone's name is any gold-plated guarantee if competence.
My daughter is in her last year of nursing school. One of the items I put in her graduation gift basket is a T-shirt that says:

" Nurses are the ones that keep your doctor from killing you"

So very true!

I'll take a NP or a PA any day over a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies