Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 12:48 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times

Advertisements

Under the ice for 7000 years:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1030092705.htm

Old 09-19-2012, 01:11 PM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times
The point is...climate warming is here, it is happening. Nothing we can do will stop it, change it, or reverse it. We can, however, accept the fact and prepare for it.
I am not going to step into this steaming pile of postings and arguing with people who tend to hide their heads in that pile, denying it all or accusing others of being stupid for paying attention to the cold hard facts that build the case year after year.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:14 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The ICEsat satellite stopped working in February 2010, and was decommisioned that August. In any case the link you posted was to a biased site.

That is right, forgot about that.

There was however a fairly recent paper that did analysis of the ICEsat data and compared to that of GRACE which is the main point:

Quote:
Mass Gains of the Antarctic Ice Sheet Exceed Losses
Zwally, H. Jay; Li, Jun; Robbins, John; Saba, Jack L.; Yi, Donghui; Brenner, Anita; Bromwich, David
As for the "biased site", you do realize it is simply a mention of a peer reviewed paper right?

Quote:
Quinn, K.J. and Ponte, R.M. 2010. Uncertainty in ocean mass trends from GRACE. Geophysical Journal International 181: 762-768.
Did you miss the cite or are you simply dismissing it out of hand?

The thing is, there are problems with GRACE and ICEsat data differs with GRACE in terms of loss and gain. I think you can see the problem here?

Old 09-19-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
The point is...climate warming is here, it is happening. Nothing we can do will stop it, change it, or reverse it. We can, however, accept the fact and prepare for it.
I am not going to step into this steaming pile of postings and arguing with people who tend to hide their heads in that pile, denying it all or accusing others of being stupid for paying attention to the cold hard facts that build the case year after year.

Warming is here (though that depends on when you are looking at the data)... but how much and for how long?

Nothing wrong with being prepared, but I favor preparing in terms of practical means, not increasing government and promoting economic hardships based on nothing more than speculation. It is one thing prep a few sandbags for the speculated coming storm, but moving the house would be foolish based on those assumptions.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:33 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Warming is here (though that depends on when you are looking at the data)... but how much and for how long?

Nothing wrong with being prepared, but I favor preparing in terms of practical means, not increasing government and promoting economic hardships based on nothing more than speculation. It is one thing prep a few sandbags for the speculated coming storm, but moving the house would be foolish based on those assumptions.
And what would these preparations be that wouldn't involve increasing government or promoting economic hardships. Do tell.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
And what would these preparations be that wouldn't involve increasing government or promoting economic hardships. Do tell.
All depends on what you think is a problem. There is a lot of evidence that suggests a warming climate is preferable to a cooling one.

If your solution is to increase government and economic hardship, you aren't concerned about climate, you are concerned about instituting your new form of government.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:53 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
What thing do you think is unproven? As far as I'm concerned the evidence, all of it indicates that the climate is undergoing a warming trend...How is that "drinking the cool aid"? I don't know what to say about people who deny this fact. Do you deny that the world is warming, the seas are warming and rising and the globe is having a net loss of millions of tons of ice?
It's unproven if human-induced CO2 is having any meaningful effect on our climate, or if it's affecting the ocean currents, the jet streams, etc, etc. All we do know for sure is that the planets was experiencing a Little Ice-Age for a few hundred years, and science has determined that our planet warmed out of it sometime around 1910 or so. We do not know how much longer our planet will continue to warm out of the ice-age, or if we are headed back into another little ice-age.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I ask again...What does this have to do with the Arctic ice melting? The magnetic pole has always been on the move. As a matter of fact it moves in a circular motion about 50 miles per day, but the amount of sun the northern hemisphere receives is based on the geographic north pole, not the magnetic one.
I don't know what effect it has on our planet, but something is causing it to shift, and something is causing El Niño/La Niña and ocean current shifts, and jet stream shifts, and no one knows how or why.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
it's no big deal...... Ice comes and Ice goes. Only silly man builds crap of concrete and steel where salt water will be and or fills in places that had and will have salt water again.

paleoman looked like this

He followed game around east of the Atlantic some 400 to 600 miles from where the sea has been sine we know of it in the 1700's and the Little Ice Age.

On land and under the sea are pebbles like this one. Note the motorcycle for scale.

This is the sign

This is just one of 3 Ice ages the last ending 10,000 years ago and I could get other signs stating ice 2 miles high with out much problem.

I asked WHO was willing to for go ALL fuel and survive, and not one of you has even considered that.

I am talking no power with any fuel to heat homes, run factories and or drive, cook or anything else and Electric power by nuke, coal, burning wood, and even hydro is out because every one of these is as dirty as the next.

Right NOW Canada wants to flood a woodland forest to make electricity to send down thru Northern NE to Ct, and NYC, which will use NH as the route to get the current there. (ain't gonna happen) But they want to.

Just damming the valley to get the lake will result in millions of metric toms of making Co2 and methane.....

There IS NO Clean Power period, so who is going to live with NONE!?

And as to MMGW it's a hoax........... Earth will do as Earth will do, and puny silly man isn't going to do one single thing about, even if there is Carbon TAXES. Only a fools fool will pay anything like that..

Now i can live off the land pretty well but not even I will live with no fire...... So I could be the first one, but if I am there had better be millions and millions more and with no more Federal LAWS...... And 0 taxes. because paleoman had never heard of silly man and his taxes.

And LAST!!!!!!!!! This has nothing to do with vehicles or transportation. If it DFID maybe China India and others would have emissions on things like FACTORIES!

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 09-19-2012 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Stupid? We are agreeing with 98% of the experts in the field. Point the stupid end of the stick at the mouthbreathing morons who think they know more than climate scientists from listing to bloviating talk show hosts.
Well, there is a lot of free tax payer money to be made in that AGW enthusiast movement, hundreds of billions of free dollars flowing into the green energy/AGW movement. So who is the "mouthbreathing moron" now, the person who questions all of this, or the person screaming to give up more of their hard earned money and liberty over to the AGW movement? Yes, I'm pointing in your direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies