Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 06:49 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,765,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I knew that global warming and the effects that man is doing to the planet was just a hoax the second that scientists got caught fudging their results and findings. if they want to keep up their work, then they should do so without any taxpayer money at all.
I knew it was a hoax when I found out that there hasn't been a single study proving any link between man's activities and Global Whatever.

In 40 years of trying, not one study proving a bit of it.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:08 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,928,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If you read about the issue in more detail, you see that many of these skeptic groups don't even care if the science is correct or not. The whole thing is about political power and control, a means to an end for their cause. They don't mind telling lies to promote their cause, so to be honest, any real discussion with them is kind of pointless. It isn't the topic that is important to them, it is getting you to believe them so they can use it as leverage to promote their politics.
I don't see skeptics out trying to get legislation passed to promote their cause. How many AGW supporters do you see doing that? Hmm? (hint: cap and trade, EPA regulations on C02, UN treaties, etc...) The skeptic "cause" if you would like to call it would be that we get the politics out of the science and stop trying to rush to decisions to create policy.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What I find totally unbelievable is that in spite of all the observable evidence that the earth is indeed warming, the deniers just ignore it and carry on denying what is obvious to us all and becoming more obvious every year...All I've done in this thread is post evidence...I have not discussed what is causing the increase in ice melt, but I still seem to be beating my head against a stone wall, although I'm now sensing a few cracks in that wall because at least some of them are now admitting that the climate is warming....But hey what do I know...It's all a political plot or a scheme to enrich the scientists.

Deniers? Who is denying warming? I don't know of a single skeptic that claims we haven't warmed. Since you like to call us deniers, how about we refer to the AGW supporters as fascist religious lunatics who can't seem to discuss the issue without using Alinsky tactics to promote their dogma, who wish death upon anyone who does not worship at the feet of their ideal? You know, "no pressure" and all.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Why isn't the issue warming? It's a thread about the Arctic ice melting…
Sorry Nei, the thread you have in "weather" is about the arctic ice melting, this thread is an attempt to promote the melt as somehow related to the position of AGW.

Quote:
Why should interglacials last forever? Since 6000 years ago, there's been little sign of warming, I don't think warming is a given at all.
That is debatable.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:35 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
Quote:
The point was to correct Wapasha's claim that the last ice age ended at the beginning of the last century...
Both of you are actually wrong. The ice age never ended, it's still here. The correct term both of you need to use is that we're in an interglacial period. That is not the same as not being in an ice age

Old 09-19-2012, 07:44 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,098,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
All depends on what you think is a problem. There is a lot of evidence that suggests a warming climate is preferable to a cooling one.

If your solution is to increase government and economic hardship, you aren't concerned about climate, you are concerned about instituting your new form of government.
Well let's pretend that it is warming, what are your non government expanding, non economic hardship solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I don't see skeptics out trying to get legislation passed to promote their cause. How many AGW supporters do you see doing that? Hmm? (hint: cap and trade, EPA regulations on C02, UN treaties, etc...) The skeptic "cause" if you would like to call it would be that we get the politics out of the science and stop trying to rush to decisions to create policy.
LOLZ. Either you are naive or ignorant (or maybe a little both). Skeptics are constantly trying to roll back EPA regulations. You think Koch Industries and other manufactures want to stop subsidizing pollution. Geeze open your eyes.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:57 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Geeze open your eyes.
Maybe you need to open your eyes. The problem with you leftists is the same with the right wingers. Not all government actions are good and are made with the public safety in mind, just like not all corporations are good and never do any wrong

Old 09-19-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Maybe you need to open your eyes. The problem with you leftists is the same with the right wingers. Not all government actions are good and are made with the public safety in mind, just like not all corporations are good and never do any wrong
What leftists? Or are you ignorantly assuming that since I'm taking a non similar stance to global warming as Nomander and others that I am a leftist?

Old 09-19-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Open my eyes to what? That both sides use and do the same tactics?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:12 PM

37,953 posts, read 22,057,225 times
Quote:
Uh, the last ice age ended between 10,000 and 20,000 years ago.
I said Little Ice-Age, genius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.