Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 05:47 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh so father-daughter dances are right up there with being a slave now ?
Gee I would have never connected those dots. Talk about extreme views.
Somebody else (you? I'd have to read back to see) made the connection between "traditional values" and this dance issue - not them. Just as with my earlier comments, they were only referring to the expression of longing to return to "the old days."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah..too bad. I remember parties at school along with coloring pictures of holidays to bring home and put on the refrigerator.

I still remember the Christmas wreath I made in 5th grade from those computer punch cards.
We spray painted them and put glitter on them and families all hung them on their doors in the neighborhood.

Kids today just won't have those types of memories
You can't do those things at Sunday School, or with your parents? Btw, they still do plenty of holiday activities & crafts at schools these days... Christians just keep getting butthurt about sharing that with other holidays, and then accuse US of being sensitive. Irony, LOL.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You can't do those things at Sunday School, or with your parents? Btw, they still do plenty of holiday activities & crafts at schools these days... Christians just keep getting butthurt about sharing that with other holidays, and then accuse US of being sensitive. Irony, LOL.
Maybe at your kid's school but not in the schools I've been in.
It's a day but not celebrated in any way or given any special attention.

Santa Claus, the Great Pumpkin and the Easter Bunny is NOT Christian religion.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:53 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
OMG.

I wholeheartedly apologize for including your post in my multi-quote, okay? I was mostly referring to the second one, and just thought I'd throw in yours for good measure - but I should know better on this forum, as things are waaaaay over-analyzed to the point where they become hard for anyone to follow. But your attempts to insult my reading comprehension are hilarious, considering my background. My only "crime" was skimming it too quickly, but clearly I know how to comprehend simple posts such as yours.

Depends on the situation. I've participated in many Christian events over the years, as I mentioned above, so the concept of that certainly doesn't offend me... but those were in churches & private schools, whereas public schools should (legally and common sense-wise) avoid anything overtly specified for ONE religion alone. I went to private schools for most of my life, but if I'd gone to a public school, yes I would have been offended by a Christian-only school event. Well, maybe "offended" isn't the right word, but it sure wouldn't have made me feel good! Ostracized or excluded would be better words, and I thought most schools tried to avoid making kids feel that way. Sure, they can go overboard sometimes, but in general it's good to keep most children feeling like they're equally respected & included.
I can understand that completely regarding a public school function. That would be uncomfortable. I'm trying to remember when our symphony played at one of the big Temples here in Dallas for some big event, probably 20+ years ago, but there was nothing overtly religious going on, just eating. lol

Old 09-19-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
In fact, it's usually the Jews doing the whining and filing lawsuits against Christians because they feel excluded.
Prove it. And the ACLU often represents itself, before you go pulling some of their lawsuits as examples.

Quote:
Let's look at that sentence I just wrote. That would get me banned in lots of places, despite it being true.
Again, prove it.

Quote:
And yet when posters here write things like "I've come to expect that from Christians, since they do have a tendency to whine whenever they're not made 'special' or exclusive", hardly anyone bats an eye.
Hey, when the shoe fits!! You can say whatever you want about Jews, we still have free speech in this country - somewhat restricted on this forum, but I'm not suing or reporting you for the comment above. So your point is????

And hardly anyone bats an eye when Jews are ostracized, excluded, insulted, etc... we had our city menorah destroyed one year, and the non-locals (online) wrote it off as "general vandalism." But we're really getting off topic now, so save it for the annual "JEWS ARE STEALING CHRISTMAS / War on Christmas" threads we'll be getting as usual next month. Every year, without fail, and always started by Christians.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Maybe at your kid's school but not in the schools I've been in.
It's a day but not celebrated in any way or given any special attention.

Santa Claus, the Great Pumpkin and the Easter Bunny is NOT Christian religion.
So whaddya want - giant crucifix art projects?

C'mon now, you know overtly religious symbolism has NEVER been allowed in public schools! It may have been tolerated at one time, but this country has always claimed a separation of church & state in public institutions. And I hate to break it to you, but Santa Claus really IS a symbol of Christmas to most Americans... so be happy with that, and send your kids to private schools if you want Jesus & the crucifix to be represented instead. My parents never complained about the lack of Torah & Magen David coloring pages, and actually preferred those sacred symbols be left to synagogue & our home. Why can't Christians do the same? And isn't it kind of sacrilegious to be doing that stuff in non-Christian environments, or is that just a Jewish belief?

P.S. You already have this Christian holiday designated as a federal holiday, and the ENTIRE school is off for 2 weeks because of it - meanwhile I had to work on Rosh Hashana, one of the holiest days of the Hebrew calendar, and didn't even complain about it (still not complaining, just mentioning). I was also scheduled for Yom Kippur, but decided to use personal vacation days so I can attend temple instead. So how much more special & "recognized" does Christmas have to be, for goodness sakes? I mean, really!

Old 09-19-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I can understand that completely regarding a public school function. That would be uncomfortable. I'm trying to remember when our symphony played at one of the big Temples here in Dallas for some big event, probably 20+ years ago, but there was nothing overtly religious going on, just eating. lol
I'm in a symphony myself, and have performed the Messiah (at churches, concert halls, and my private/Methodist college) more times than I can count... I probably know it better than most Christians by now, LOL. I've also participated in this annual Easter/resurrection concert, which is a paid gig for a local church. But those aren't public schools, which goes back to my earlier comment regarding the relevance of such analogies. And yes, I was briefly guilty of that too.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:

And hardly anyone bats an eye when Jews are ostracized, excluded, insulted, etc... we had our city menorah destroyed one year, and the non-locals (online) wrote it off as "general vandalism." But we're really getting off topic now, so save it for the annual "JEWS ARE STEALING CHRISTMAS / War on Christmas" threads we'll be getting as usual next month. Every year, without fail, and always started by Christians.
Oh gizmo that brought tears to my eyes I laughed so hard. That is a good one.
I had a girlfriend who was Jewish and came from a strict Jewish family.
Once she moved out on her own she got a little table on wheels and put up a little christmas tree and loaded it with lights and garland. When her mom came to visit she unplugged it and wheeled it into a closet.

My ex MIL (Jewish) finally caved in the day she saw a silver/pink glitter tree in Target. Then it became ok to celebrate Christmas. It was funny listening to her convince herself. She just wanted that pretty pink tree.

Yup..the Jews are stealing Christmas, one Christmas tree at a time

Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Oh gizmo that brought tears to my eyes I laughed so hard. That is a good one.
I had a girlfriend who was Jewish and came from a strict Jewish family.
Once she moved out on her own she got a little table on wheels and put up a little christmas tree and loaded it with lights and garland. When her mom came to visit she unplugged it and wheeled it into a closet.

My ex MIL (Jewish) finally caved in the day she saw a silver/pink glitter tree in Target. Then it became ok to celebrate Christmas. It was funny listening to her convince herself. She just wanted that pretty pink tree.

Yup..the Jews are stealing Christmas, one Christmas tree at a time
LOL... I was only saying what people believe, and what you'll inevitably see posted on this forum in the next couple of months. I generally avoid those "War on Christmas" threads, since they only frustrate and annoy me in the end (as this conversation is beginning to do).

As for Jews celebrating Christmas, I guess it's a free country - but I personally would never do that, since it goes against our very beliefs & traditions. To each his/her own, though! I do like the idea of a pink glittery tree, if I can find a way to make it completely non-Christmas-related.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-19-2012 at 06:33 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post

But if a non-denominational event doesn't have enough Christianity to make Jewish people uncomfortable, it isn't a Christian event anyway.
Since you brought it up...That's the standard for what is Christian? To makes Jews uncomfortable?

Nothing about spreading the Gospel and brotherhood? Nothing about forgiving our brothers and sisters and walking in Christ's footsteps? A Christian event is one where Jews are uncomfortable?

I continue to be amazed......

And I continue to pray that people don't believe that this very peculiar interpretation of Christianity is shared by all Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies