Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 07:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL... I was only saying what people believe, and what you'll inevitably see posted on this forum in the next couple of months. I generally avoid those "War on Christmas" threads, since they only frustrate and annoy me in the end (as this conversation is beginning to do).

As for Jews celebrating Christmas, I guess it's a free country - but I personally would never do that, since it goes against our very beliefs & traditions. To each his/her own, though! I do like the idea of a pink glittery tree, if I can find a way to make it completely non-Christmas-related.
I agree. I stay away from those threads myself. They get downright nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 07:54 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Father-daughter dances? Never heard of such a thing. What is the age range we're talking about for the daughters? Junior high? Is this another example of helicopter parents who are entirely too involved in the lives of their kids? It hasn't been that long since I was in school. I cannot remember a single male or female who ever wanted to bring a parent to a dance. In fact, that would have been more akin to a nightmare, your father showing up wanting to dance with you.

I wouldn't call it creepy. I would call it odd, if it involves kids over the age of eight or maybe nine.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:10 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Actually, real conservatives are in favor of social engineering. You can't get rid of it anyway, it's just a matter of who's in charge.
Interesting comment.

To which "brotherhood" do you belong?.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:22 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Father-daughter dances? Never heard of such a thing. What is the age range we're talking about for the daughters? Junior high? Is this another example of helicopter parents who are entirely too involved in the lives of their kids? It hasn't been that long since I was in school. I cannot remember a single male or female who ever wanted to bring a parent to a dance. In fact, that would have been more akin to a nightmare, your father showing up wanting to dance with you.

I wouldn't call it creepy. I would call it odd, if it involves kids over the age of eight or maybe nine.
We actually did have an annual father-daughter dance at my school, which was a 6th-12th grade institution (but I think this particular dance was only for the middle schoolers). We always had fun at it, and my father is quite hilarious on the dance floor! But IIRC you were 100% allowed to bring a "non-father" substitute, and this also happened to be a private prep school.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And she could have done that to any other of the dances the school had.
Schools do have more than one dance you know.
Yes. They do.

So why do the schools NEED, as some of you seem to be preaching, to have a father-daughter dance? Anyone who wants to have a father-daughter dance can hire a hall or have it in their living room or out in the barn when it's not milking time.

We have public schools telling half of their student body, "Only you can come to this dance. And you can only participate with your father." A PUBLIC school. That makes sense to you? Using taxpayer dollars to have a dance that says "You can come to the dance if you are a girl but you can't come if your father is dead. Or stationed in Afghanistan. Or was thrown out by your mother because he drinks and doesn't pay child support. But, by golly, if you are a girl and you are lucky enough to have a dad in the picture, YOU can come!"

(That's not MY America. My America says all citizens are treated equally. Even 11-year old girls.)

Old 09-19-2012, 08:29 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Since you brought it up...That's the standard for what is Christian? To makes Jews uncomfortable?

Nothing about spreading the Gospel and brotherhood? Nothing about forgiving our brothers and sisters and walking in Christ's footsteps? A Christian event is one where Jews are uncomfortable?
Yeah, I thought that was a rather weird comment too! As I said earlier, I participate in Christian/Christmas events all the time - also went to a Methodist-founded college - and in none of these events was I made to feel uncomfortable. The only time I feel somewhat weird is at Christian weddings, when everyone but me (and select other non-Christians) don't know what to do/say during the Lord's Prayer. So I just sit there and smile until it's over, no big whoop.

Quote:
I continue to be amazed......

And I continue to pray that people don't believe that this very peculiar interpretation of Christianity is shared by all Christians.
Luckily, I don't believe it is. I've been around Christians my whole life, and probably 95% of the time they're perfectly accommodating and pleasant. Internet just highlights the worst, I guess!

Old 09-19-2012, 09:00 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
The war on being normal continues.
Exactly! The girls who have fathers have to suffer because their dads aren't dead beats like the other girls dad. Political correctness is destroying this country and making us weak. Oh I don't have a daddy so I'm going to **** in everybody else's parade.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:03 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Exactly! The girls who have fathers have to suffer because their dads aren't dead beats like the other girls dad. Political correctness is destroying this country and making us weak. Oh I don't have a daddy so I'm going to **** in everybody else's parade.
Yep, all daughters who don't have fathers must have had deadbeat fathers. Like those deadbeat dads who died over in Iraq or Afghanistan, those deadbeat dads who die of cancer, those deadbeat dads who die on the job and so on.

Honestly, are we witnessing a society-wide embrace of abject nastiness?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Have just read the first 30 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
Those dances are extremely creepy. IMO
How so? My daughter just got married and we had a father-daughter dance. It was sweet to see all the dads dancing with their daughters, including some dads (like my brother) who NEVER dance. There was also a mother-son dance, and my other daughter's boyfriend danced with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
So, ACLU, would be o.k. with a father-daughter football game? Or a mother-son fashion show? Yes, things that guarantee low participation.
My older daughter's college had mother-daughter, father-daughter, mother-son and father-son events. The father-daughter weekend included a football game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not fair to girls growing up in fatherless homes.

Got to think of other people's feelings .....no one in the "collective" can have their feeling hurt.
Oh, don't be so snarky. That's a legitimate concern, but they can say that a girl can bring any male who is "like a father" to her.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So you think that schools should sponsor events, and then not allow some of the students to attend?

Because that's what happened in Cranston.

The school sponsored a father-daughter dance. A girl without a father wasn't allowed to attend. Her single mom complained, and the ACLU took her side.
I agree that's not right. The school should have let the girl bring an uncle, a family friend, grandfather, somebody! I remember my daughter's girl scout troop had a father-daughter dance and I think some of the girls went with people other than their fathers. The girls loved it, voted the event their favorite of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies