Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the hanging chair a racist statement?
Yes it was obviously a racist statement. 54 43.20%
No, it was not necessarily intended as a racist statement. 69 55.20%
Other opinion - please explain. 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
The problem that many of you don't seem to be getting is that lynching has its connotations with blacks moreso than anything. It's a common perception that many people have. No one thinks of Italians because that's not what lynching is mostly applied to when it comes to Americans and its history.

If lynching were applied to Italians than by all means the connotations involved would exemplify racism on Italians, but in this case its on blacks.

Now sure, this man may have not intended it to be racist.... but golly, by all means, please respect the fact that there are racist implications involved. I don't understand why the hell people would go as far as rationalize, derationalize, or over scrutinize the situation when all you can do is say, "well, this may offend others, you might not wanna do that."

How freaking hard is that? Understand that President Obama is a black man... understand that the hanging of the chair symbolized lynching President Obama. How could you not see the correlations? Why does anybody want to defend to the very last drop of breath what this crazy old man was doing?
Exactly. I have ancestors who were lynched. So yes, I JUST might be a little more sensitive about this than others....whether the old man's intentions were racist or not. And I've said before, NO ONE will know what his intentions were...EVER. Not a SINGLE one of us. We are not inside his head. HOWEVER, it's easy for him to make his non-racist claims on camera. OF COURSE. what person would ADMIT to a racist act??? Bottom line...the old man should've used better judgement. He might not be in this predicament if he had.

We are all making assumptions, and we all have the right to do so. He might be a racist. He might not. NO ONE knows. But as Migol said, it might go a little beyond that for people who might have an emotional reaction to anything that might remotely signify lynching, slavery, etc. UNDERSTAND that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 05:50 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And the man in Austin did take the chair down. He said it wasn't meant as a racist statement. He also said he was taking it down because people were stupid.
And he's even more stupid to not even think that it would offend others. He took it down, rightfully so... that's it. End of story.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You know what? That is exactly what happened. The man took the chair down because some people did get offended.

So why are we still talking about it - if that should make it "the end of the story"?

I'll tell you why - because the people who want to make everything about race want to keep it alive and talk about "lynching symbolism" where there never was anything.

Totally ridiculous.
No sir... or ma'am. It is not ridiculous. Everyone is having a healthy conversation trying to give helpful insights how NOT TO OFFEND OTHERS. Everyone is in their right to speak about this issue at full length....

Old 09-23-2012, 05:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Exactly. I have ancestors who were lynched. So yes, I JUST might be a little more sensitive about this than others....whether the old man's intentions were racist or not. And I've said before, NO ONE will know what his intentions were...EVER. Not a SINGLE one of us. We are not inside his head. HOWEVER, it's easy for him to make his non-racist claims on camera. OF COURSE. what person would ADMIT to a racist act??? Bottom line...the old man should've used better judgement. He might not be in this predicament if he had.

We are all making assumptions, and we all have the right to do so. He might be a racist. He might not. NO ONE knows. But as Migol said, it might go a little beyond that for people who might have an emotional reaction to anything that might remotely signify lynching, slavery, etc. UNDERSTAND that.
If you feel we all have the right to make assumptions regarding another persons motivation and judgement, and then call them something like a "racist", as you have done. Then I assume you have no problem with any other person making similar assumptions about yourself, regarding your position in this issue, and declaring that you are a "bigot"? That is just a question, I respect your opinion and I'm not calling you one, but I do question your judgement given your admited "sensitivity".

I think there are far to many people in the world who quickly try to claim racism without bothering to take a moment to consider whether their own judgement is bigotry or not.

Please look at the definitions below:

Quote:
a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his ownwordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
Quote:
One who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differen.wiktionary.org/wiki/bigot
Quote:
(Bigotry) "This is a stubborn intolerance of any race, nationality, or creed that differs from one's own" (Schwartz et al., 1997, p. 36).www.education.com/reference/article/definition-terms-diverse-e…
Quote:
(Bigotry) A term of righteous derision (equitable with Intolerance and Hatred) which usually means: A deep seated dislike of those people who are "different" from you. ...www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/673701/posts
Quote:
Intolerant person: somebody who has very strong opinions, especially on matters of politics, religion, or ethnicity, and refuses to accept different views.www.creationism.co.uk/index.php/Main/Definitions
In my opinion "the old man" was exercising his constitutionally protected right of free speech when he suspended an empty chair in his front yard.

That is what he says he was doing, there is no evidence otherwise, and he took it down when he realized that some people interpreted it as racism. So to my mind, anyone who disagrees with this must be a "bigot". i.e. their personal world view overrides all other logic and reason and demands that they see this as "racist", in spite of any evidence otherwise.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Because the chair being attached to the tree had nothing to do with lynching. It was done so the chair would be seen. Only people with hangups on race and those who have overactive imagination are making a big deal of this - and those are the "stupid" ones who caused the man to take the chair down.

The problem is that no one seems to be able to criticize the president without being accused of racism. How do you not see that as a problem? Why do you promote division rather then support unity?

Barack Obama is not a "black" POTUS - he is the the President of the United States - period.

Understand that - and things will become much clearer. Skin color should be irrelevant.
You can criticize Barack Obama all that you want... as I too criticize him. I consider myself more towards independent... and I just don't buy this whole left vs right propaganda. But when it comes to these types of issues it supersedes this political party spectrum. We're talking about individuals here who are going to get offended. I don't see why you can't see past that and realize that when it comes to certain issues things just might get too personal. Find another way to spread your political agenda. And try your best to do right with everyone else. It's quite possible my dear friend.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:02 PM

858 posts, read 707,680 times
How can anyone NOT think that's racist. I agree it gets overused a lot but this is pretty obvious. If he just placed a chair on his front lawn with a sign that says NoBama then I would say it's not but the fact that he took the time to tie a string to the chair and place it up in a tree shows intent to me. Frankly this guy should be embarrassed and everyone, Republican and Democrat, should be disgusted by this.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
If you feel we all have the right to make assumptions regarding another persons motivation and judgement, and then call them something like a "racist", as you have done. Then I assume you have no problem with any other person making similar assumptions about yourself, regarding your position in this issue, and declaring that you are a "bigot"? That is just a question, I respect your opinion and I'm not calling you one, but I do question your judgement given your admited "sensitivity".

I think there are far to many people in the world who quickly try to claim racism without bothering to take a moment to consider whether their own judgement is bigotry or not.

Please look at the definitions below:

In my opinion "the old man" was exercising his constitutionally protected right of free speech when he suspended an empty chair in his front yard.

That is what he says he was doing, there is no evidence otherwise, and he took it down when he realized that some people interpreted it as racism. So to my mind, anyone who disagrees with this must be a "bigot". i.e. their personal world view overrides all other logic and reason and demands that they see this as "racist", in spite of any evidence otherwise.
Absolutely. I can dish as well as receive. The old man can dish what can possibly be construed as racism. ( or not as I've said before, no one will ever know) So now he is receiving the backlash.

I might be a bigot, and he might be a racist. Okay. But he's the one who put himself in the spotlight, and now I, and everyone else, am commenting.

But that doesn't change anything I've said or anything I've agreed with thus far.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

So to my mind, anyone who disagrees with this must be a "bigot". i.e. their personal world view overrides all other logic and reason and demands that they see this as "racist", in spite of any evidence otherwise.
Oh, and you said "in spite of any evidence otherwise."

The only "evidence" we have that it wasn't racially motivated was the man saying so. Sorry, but that's not enough for me. He had news cameras in his face. Do you REALLY expect him to have admitted that his act was racially motivated if it, indeed, was? I don't.

The only fact we have is that the chair was hanging from the tree. Everything else is mere speculation.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:36 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
The only fact we have is that the chair was hanging from the tree. Everything else is mere speculation.
Yes - including the ridiculous idea that the chair hanging from the tree represented lynching.

It did not.

How low do you have to be to falsely accuse a man of racism?

Old 09-23-2012, 06:40 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD
I think he was trying to say something. It's not clear at all what he was trying to say. I think he's confused.
He is quite angry as most who are awake ARE!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies