Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 11:31 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,453,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock56 View Post
Unemployment rates rose in more than half of U.S. states last month, the latest evidence that hiring remains tepid across the country.

Just a couple of days ago the media was having an organism about the census report--- Has US economy bottomed out? Census suggests yes

Unemployment rates rise in half of US states - Yahoo! News
Wait, we were told that the recession was over (in all America, not only 1/2 of the states) already in 2010
I have to go back and find those (joyous) posts by Obama's supporters. And even later, in 2011 we had happy news about unemployment dropping steadily for 20 months(!) So now only 1/2 of the states are better? But, but ...we were all better 2 years ago
Now, I prepare myself for next week announcement, that 1/3 of the states (in the north east corridor) are improving....
However then comes January... when we'll probably hear that "there is still much work to do" and the Bush era was worse then thought before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 07:10 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,437,689 times
Lightbulb Yup Economy just recovering Wonderfully--Unemployment rates rise in Half US States...

Quote:
Unemployment rates rose in more than half of U.S. states last month, the latest evidence that hiring remains tepid across the country.

Just a couple of days ago the media was having an organism about the census report--- Has US economy bottomed out? Census suggests yes

The economy is still struggling to recover from the worst recession in several generations.

Just think how much better off we'd all be if the GOP congress hadn't deregulated Wall St 13 years ago and let them crash the world economy. Darn that Bill Clinton for not vetoing the Gramm Leach Bliley Act.

Rep. Marcy Kaptur: Reinstate the Glass-Steagall Act - US News and World Report

Old 09-22-2012, 10:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Blind people do. They will vote for Obama regardless of the facts. Four more years of high unemployment and downgraded ratings of US securities means nothing to the leeches.
That's why Obama is doing so much for the votes of illegals -- there is one group that is doing fabulously in his economy -- remittances to Mexico were way up in 2011 and up even higher in 2012.

For the foreigners coming here to take jobs and whatever else, things couldn't be better.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/new...-nearly-5-pct/

Remittances sent by Mexicans living abroad rose 4.81 percent to $13.71 billion in the January-July period, compared to the same period in 2011, the Bank of Mexico said.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:37 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,327,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Well democrats have had at least 2/3rds of the government since 2007 so you've had more than enough democrats to show and prove and all they've done is find every reason under the sun to not take the blame for what we're in today.
The damage had already been done by the time Democrats took over. The lending practices were based on the assumption that housing values would continue to rise, and also made under the assumption that bettors could cash out before the market tanked. THe housing values began falling in 2006 - banks started going under in waves beginning in the spring of 2007. Democrats hadn't the time to do anything by that point.

In all fairness, I can't blame republicans only, and that's not entirely the point of my posts. It's not so much the party name as it is the types of policies they promote that is the problem. The policies of putting the interests of banks first over the interests of the general labor class and consuming middle class is the problem. Republicans have been the main sponsor of these polices, but there have been some democrats who have endorsed these same ideas. Anyone who has, regardless of party affiliation, is in the wrong.

I call republicans republitards because some of the ideas they've been endorsing lately are just off the wall. And the voters who believe that taking America back to the times of Andrew Jackson are deluded and badly misguided.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:08 PM

27,098 posts, read 15,289,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It will worsen greatly after the election.

Infllation among other issues, time to pay the Piper.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:16 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,431,490 times
Quote:

I'm pretty sure thats just those non-college educated unwashed masses. Not having a problem among the people who have the skills to compete globally

I think the real issue is transitioning the workforce, and putting the focus there. Robots, not people, will build our cars.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:50 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,498,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about war. Dead 20 year olds don't count in the unemployment numbers, either. As an added bonus, someone else takes their job, so it's like doubling the bonus!

Obama totally needs to expand his military operations yet again. I mean, they've worked out so well between him and W.
Nice twist on what I said. Obama has not started a war, nor should he. Unfortunately 'dead 20 year olds' cannot vote.

But when you increase recruiting goals during war time, along with continuous deployments of national guard units that take those people away from the workplace, it does have an impact on the unemployment rate. Not a good way to reduce unemployment, but it does lead to that. Myself, I'll take the higher unemployment and no war, and no loss of 4000+ lives to get there.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:15 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,146,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Look at this graph and tell me that Obama hasn't had a positive impact on the economy with a straight face: Obama battles job crisis: 3 years...and counting - CNNMoney
Obama hasn't had a positive impact on the economy.

The 2% FICA tax holiday was a stupid mistake that even a 1st year Economics student wouldn't have made. And when it ends......then what? Obama has not created prosperity or growth, rather he has created the illusion of prosperity and growth --- which is virtually non-existent in either case.

You can't even pay for Medicare or Social Security, and he just instituted a massive misguided redirection of cash, right out of the pockets of employers and employees into Obamacare, which is already dead in the water, because you have no possible way to pay for it.

His regulatory actions have either cost jobs, or resulted in lowering the pay of domestic-based jobs.

Quote:
Look at this GDP chart and tell me with a straight face that we're not better off: United States GDP Growth Rate
You're not better off.

Obama spent $30 just to get a $1 bump in GDP, and the cost of the $30 is more than the US can bear.

Quote:
We went from 700,000 jobs lost per month to a net jobs gain in 14 months to what we have now, which is 23 consecutive months of jobs added to the economy.
That is an outrageous lie.

The number of employed Americans dropped in July from 143,202,000 to 143,126,000 and then in August more Americans lost their jobs as the number fell from 143,126,000 to 142,558,000

In the last two months alone, you have net job loss of 644,000 jobs.

In December 2011, you went from 141,070,000 employed Americans to 140,681,000 employed....a net loss of 389,000 jobs.

So much for the 23 consecutive months of jobs added.

Next time you post something, know what you're talking about, and then you won't look half as silly.

Quote:
We went from nearly 9 percent GDP decline to nearly 36 consecutive months of GDP growth -- despite all of the idiocy and political chicanery used to derail Obama's agenda.
And yet your GDP has declined 2 quarters in a row, and is on track to decline a 3rd straight quarter.

And how did this, uh, mythical GDP growth come about? Oh, yes, spending $30 you don't have to get a $1 rise in GDP.

Can anyone say stupid?

Quote:
Despite the fact he's had to work with arguably the most partisan and bitterly divided congress since the 1880s. Obama is the modern day Reconstruction President -
History will not be kind to Obama. He will be known as the president who buried the US in massive debt for no good reason, and the architect of America's economic decline.

Read this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Current-dollar and "real" GDP
Government - Debt to the Penny (Daily History Search Application)

Notice: Data not available: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

So we've gained $6.6 trillion in debt to have grown the GDP $240 billion dollars and lost 4.1 million jobs in the process.

You people must have a seriously sick and twisted sense of humor.

...because he just stomped your guts out with an avalanche of reality.

Quote:
We'd have more jobs, higher wages, and less debt if republitards weren't anti-jobs.
No, wrong. That is not how it works. This is Economics, not Fantasy Island.

You are losing jobs, because you cannot compete globally due to the disparity in wages between Americans and the rest of the world.

The loss of those jobs puts down-ward pressure on all wages for [nearly] all jobs, since wages are a function of the Supply & Demand for Labor in a given economic market (and there are more than 1,000 economic markets in the US).

You can see that here...

National Average Wage Index

We can see that through 1960, the average wages of workers increased 4.09%

1961-1970: 4.45%
1971-1980: 7.31%
1981-1990: 5.34%
1991-2000: 4.35%
2001-2010: 2.64%

...as wages have been trending down since the great Blow Job Bill jizzed all over the Offal Office.

That trend is the result of numerous developing States reaching a level where they can compete globally against the US over the last 15-18 years or so. That trend will continue for another 30-40 years until an equilibrium is reached between the US and the developing-States.

Quote:
Like I've said, the country needs to see what a good 6-8 years under a completely democratic government would look like.
You're comparing the police actions in Iraq and Afghanistan with a full-blown World War?

And you think Democrats can do better....than what...the Democratic Republic of Congo?

Well, I'm sure all Americans are looking forward to a per capita income of $389/year.

And in spite of what you claim, we already saw the trailer for the horror film when Democrats controlled both the House & Senate during Obama's first 2 years.

What was next on Obama's agenda, Food Insecurity Stamps (to compliment Food Stamps), or Food Insecurity Insurance?

Debunking...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Or would it make more sense that I meant that public sector losses have nothing to do w/ the state of the economy or Obama's policies...
Right, the loss of sales tax and other revenues which causes lay-offs in the public sector is not a reflection of the state of the economy or Obama's policies, like those that just put 1,200 miners out of work.

Got it.

Amused...

Mircea

Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,470,556 times
Just remember that most states have Republicans controlling their economics. They'll snuff out any good that national policy creates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies