Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 09:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

One ass whoop'n, last for years. From then on until they think they are big and bad again, all you have to do, is give them the look....

My daughter has had 2 spankings in her life, she is now 15 and getting that attitude again. Her future looks like we are going to have to have another board meeting, unless she straightens up and quits thinking, the world revolves around her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 10:10 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
According to the Tax Foundation - which looks at all taxes: property, income, alcohol, sales, etc, etc, etc - Delaware is right about average when it comes to the amount of state and local taxes paid: 23rd at 9.6% of income (New Jersey is the highest at 12.2% and Alaska is the lowest at 6.3%).
Actually you are closer to being right, although I found Delaware to be ranked 36th, 24th and 23rd. Those who live in northern Delaware also pay county taxes, which I don't. Since I make over $60,000 I do however pay the higher 6% income tax, however my property and school taxes are $479.00 for the year and 0 sales tax except on cars " of course".

Another little tidbit, to register and fully inspect a car or truck in this state costs $40.00 a year, that includes emissions. Also moving to lower Delaware my car insurance dropped $1000 per year compared to rural SE Pennsylvania and $500.00 per year compared to northern Delaware.

Consider some states surrounding Delaware where $8000.00 property taxes and up are the norm, much higher car insurance, sales taxes and close to 100 bucks a year just to register a car.

Last edited by James420; 09-21-2012 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: J

Old 09-21-2012, 10:15 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The Nanny State is alive an well in Delaware.

Only the weak need the government to tell them how to live their lives.
Would you care to point to any time in American history or world history in which a government did not tell its citizens how to live its lives? By definition, laws instruct citizens on how they ought and must live.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:30 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
It will be interesting to see how this law plays out IRL. As opposed to "political" life.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Pretty sure I'd still beat my kids inside my home. Besides, I can't fathom not hitting kids. Kids need the rod of correction. Without it, they will go crazy and wreak havoc on society when they don't get what they want. That's why they turn into teenagers and adults who shoot up schools and kill their parents when things don't go their way. They have no fear of an authority figure. And I don't give a crap what some people believe. Kids need to fear some type of consequence or authority figure to behave right. Without that, your kid is basically doomed.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:59 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,527 times

Family Oriented - Anjelah Johnson - Comedy Time - YouTube

"Hey lady! Come get your kid, I did you a favor!"

Old 09-22-2012, 12:07 AM

635 posts, read 539,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Well, I raised three boys, and i think I spanked each one of them maybe a dozen times, and never after they were five years old. If they did reach for the frying pan, the knife, light socket, stray dog, they would get a hand swat. If they ran out into the street, they got one swat for each step from the road, to the sidewalk, and since they wore a diaper, all it was, was a loud noise from all that padding. They may have also got a swat on the diapered butt for sassing back to mom, or any other adult. but like i said, less the n a dozens instances, and i never remember spanking any of them after five years old.

One of my brothers and two of my sisters never spanked, and their kids were disciplinary problems until they were adults. when work got out that they were coming to visit any of our relatives, the person being visited would dread it, because these kids were unruly. Even when each of them visited each other, they'd confide to me how dreadful the other's kids were. But oddly, they never complained when I or my other sister came to vist, because our children were well behaved. funny how that was, eh?
Anecdotal evidence is not conclusive... I could say the opposite, my parents never spanked us, and we were all well behaved despite it.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:17 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
In short, y'all have been had again simply because you uncritically accepted the story as offered, just as people like that depend upon you to do.
You haven't provided any new information at all, and the text of the bill changes nothing that was in the linked story.

Either "any pain" means "any pain", or it doesn't. If it does, a parent could go to jail for two years for spanking a toddler. That's what the bill says.

Will it be enforced? Is that the intent of the law? I don't know - hence the question mark in the title of the OP, and the careful language in OP itself.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 09-22-2012 at 12:39 AM..

Old 09-22-2012, 12:25 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Apparently, the governor of Delaware has signed into law a bill that prohibits any parental discipline of children that inflicts "pain". That would certainly outlaw spanking. One to two years in prison for offenders.

If I lived in Delaware and had young children, that would be reason enough to leave the state.
Governor just made it easier for the state to kidnap children.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:29 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
My sister used to be horrified that I would swat my childrens behinds once in a while when they needed it. Parroted the same nonsense I'm seeing here. Then she had her own. She has changed her view. You set limits with em when they are young you don't have these spoiled little whiners who disrespect any and all authority when they become teenagers. Most lefties were raised like that so they think that's the way to go when in reality they should have gotten a few smacks here and there to set em straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies