Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:12 AM

876 posts, read 708,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-goat View Post
seems unlikely - have you ever tried it?

doubt it's a great deal of funning sitting on the sidewalk all day hoping for spare change - that would suck I'm sure
The one's I have met seem to be having a good time. You may not like the idea, but there are many that do. They make good money begging. I work sometimes at a resaurant that has a patio and the homeless hang around a lot. They are not shy about asking for money and they do so joyfully. Out of all the times that I offer food instead of money, only one has taken me up on it. One night I was sitting outside after work and drank a beer with my boyfriend. A guy came up to us all jazzed up and said, "I'm an honest pan-handler. I'm honest. I want money to buy a beer". I said, "Fine. I will buy you a beer, but you have to drink it with us." So, he did and we had a good talk. He told us all about how much money he makes off of begging. It was A LOT and all tax free. After he finished his beer, he said, "Y'all seem like good people. Here's a beer" He reached in his knapsack and pulled out a tallboy energy beer and handed it to me! What? Crazy that a homeless person can afford to buy me a more expensive beer than I did him. Maybe sometimes the homeless do give back to society. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 06:21 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
OP's Location: New Zealand?
When did we admit that place into the union, when did it become a state?
My wife and I were homeless for 1 1/2 years, we were lucky, we had a conversion van to live in, and bounced from campground to campground.

Yeah, burn us like a butt in your stinking ashtray.
People need to be homeless at least once in their lifetime, it'll make that person more respectful of others and appreciate what they have, or had.

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 09-22-2012 at 06:36 AM..

Old 09-22-2012, 06:25 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Some winters here in Philly I cook a hot dinner for about 25 and take it over to a woman's respite shelter for the chronically homeless. This is an emergency shelter for ladies who do not do well in traditional shelter set ups (they have trouble getting in the door before shut off time or are otherwise unable to follow the rules). In the dead of winter though, they'll die of hypothermia out on the street.

There they try and help the ladies transition into permanent housing, by addressing the core issues that keep them on the streets (addiction, mental illness, etc).

There is something about their demeanor and the look in their eyes that makes it obvious they are unable to function in the real world, no matter how much judgment the GP/OP feels like throwing at them. I would say that some of the ladies are autistic or have other pretty common disorders and have gone their whole lives without diagnoses or intervention of any kind.

Some are alcoholics who have hit the point where there is no turning back, and they don't have family and friends to intervene and there's no hope for rehab or any other of the services that people who have a support system are able to take advantage of.

They are not horrible people, they have issues - that many people have, but are lucky enough to have been born into families who have the resources to help them before it's too late.

They would rather take their chances out there than be institutionalized. Locking someone up when they have not committed a crime and would suffer greatly by being incarcerated is not a compassionate solution. There really is no solution, for some.

So you can go along and treat these people with contempt, fantasize about torching or gassing them or exiling them - or you can have some damn compassion for someone that's in a situation that you can't fathom or relate to, and be thankful that it's them and not you. Which one you chose says a lot more about you than about them. They have serious problems, what's your excuse for acting like an a hole?

Old 09-22-2012, 06:29 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Ah, yet another thread that makes it very clear just how disgusting, thoughtless, callous, and egotistical some people are. What sad times we live in that people feel free to have such thoughts about others they deem undesirable.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:41 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
where I live there are plenty of street bums, winos and junkies , generally stinking the place up and begging for money.

they serve no purpose whatsoever for society so what should be done with them?

most of them cannot change even if they wanted to - so should they just be shipped off to a remote island somewhere, or perhaps repatriated to a 3rd World nation (seeing as we take in a lot of trash from those parts of the world) - a kind of quid pro quo as it were.

what do all you all think?

Old 09-22-2012, 07:02 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
I'm pro-life, but not pro-bum!

there is a clear difference
Tell me about the last time you had a conversation with a "bum" that lasted more than 2 minutes.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:07 AM

Say, mods, is proposing that we dump human beings off in other countries or "liquidate" them a violation of proper forum order and decorum? I wonder what would happen if I proposed to do the same to all Christians?

You people are priceless.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
The one's I have met seem to be having a good time. You may not like the idea, but there are many that do. They make good money begging. I work sometimes at a resaurant that has a patio and the homeless hang around a lot. They are not shy about asking for money and they do so joyfully. Out of all the times that I offer food instead of money, only one has taken me up on it. One night I was sitting outside after work and drank a beer with my boyfriend. A guy came up to us all jazzed up and said, "I'm an honest pan-handler. I'm honest. I want money to buy a beer". I said, "Fine. I will buy you a beer, but you have to drink it with us." So, he did and we had a good talk. He told us all about how much money he makes off of begging. It was A LOT and all tax free. After he finished his beer, he said, "Y'all seem like good people. Here's a beer" He reached in his knapsack and pulled out a tallboy energy beer and handed it to me! What? Crazy that a homeless person can afford to buy me a more expensive beer than I did him. Maybe sometimes the homeless do give back to society. Lol.
These homeless people are getting rich and having a good time sponging off us hard-working Americans!

Old 09-22-2012, 07:15 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
She really was. She lived in an old car for a long time.
I would've given her a home.
She got fired 'cuz her boss made her a sexy offer; an offer she refused. @#$%@rd kept her last paycheck, too. She became homeless and threefore deserves the OP's scorn.
Much like drug dealer Tim Allen. All the coke in the world can't make him funny. Ok, he's funny. but he's a ex-con drug dealer, too.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:43 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
where I live there are plenty of street bums, winos and junkies , generally stinking the place up and begging for money.

they serve no purpose whatsoever for society so what should be done with them?

most of them cannot change even if they wanted to - so should they just be shipped off to a remote island somewhere, or perhaps repatriated to a 3rd World nation (seeing as we take in a lot of trash from those parts of the world) - a kind of quid pro quo as it were.

what do all you all think?

Have them take up residence in the homes of liberals. They SAY that they are very concerned about the homeless. Let's see if that is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies