Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could you forgive a pedophile?
Yes 75 24.04%
No 237 75.96%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:21 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times

Advertisements

If teens are involved it is subject for debate. If it is adults preying on children then no. We continue to lower the bar in this country as to what is shocking and what is a forgivable offense. The NAMBLA monsters have been pushing for decades to lower the consentual age to 8 and that concerns me very much. The child molesting Hollywood producers, or those sympathetic with their acts are increasing the number of films showing child sex. They have also sexualized our children and now we have 11 year olds at sex objects. Time to pull back on the reigns a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,791 times
Pesos need to be shipped off to pedo island after time served and castrated.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:51 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
I think Jesus would forgive the person, and I think it is probably the right thing to do, but I doubt I could do it. In practice, I don't think I could trust the person in society.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think Jesus would forgive the person, and I think it is probably the right thing to do, but I doubt I could do it. In practice, I don't think I could trust the person in society.
Yes -- and Jesus always said "and sin no more" when he was forgiving sinners. Sure -- pedophiles can be forgiven but they can never be let out of prison. They can never be trusted around children, for whatever reason they are sexually attracted to children and they cannot change that.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:56 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Jesus forgave the people who murdered him, but then again, who agrees with Jesus nowadays.

Personally, I'm not a Christian, so I don't think I could find forgiveness, but who knows

Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Default Could you ever forgive a pedophile? Are they deserving of forgiveness?

This is the topic, my answer is no, simple really. I could not forgive anyone who takes advantage of or hurts children.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:43 AM

1,403 posts, read 937,346 times
No. Also that person should have been executed.End of story.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:15 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
I was responding to the post where the 4000 person study was linked and it disappeared (sp). Am I going crazy ? Was it deleted ? I did read the study and only 8 % of molesters were homosexual, the rest were married, etc, etc. This is what I have read and heard is standard %'s. Now I don't know how to get back to the study........Apparantly, boys and severity have the longest lasting and the most devastating effects. What a tragedy.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:17 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyForever View Post
No. Also that person should have been executed.End of story.
Do you have any idea how easy it is to be falsely accused of such a thing? In PA, the only "evidence" needed is for someone to claim they were 13 or under when they were supposedly molested, that's it...and Yes, it can be taken to trial... I know, because I have a loved one who was falsely accused, and there was no physical evidence, or witnesses, only her claims that it happened
So, please, all, keep that in mind

Old 09-22-2012, 12:26 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If somebody who had molested a child a couple of times (let's say the details are unimportant but it did not involve lasting physical injuries), after doing his time (and surviving in jail), sincerely repented and swore that he would never do it again, do you think you could personally ever forgive him? And do you think he deserves forgiveness? Assuming you could believe he would never do it. I guess they're slighted related questions.

While I'm as shocked by child abuse as anybody, the way in which they are beyond forgiveness and are hated, more than mass murderers or serial killers, is slightly disturbing. Actually what I'm more concerned about is the witch-hunt/hysterical attitude. Many people guilty of lesser crimes (i.e. consensual sex with say a 14 year old minor, or even something as minor as accidentally exposing yourself to children without intent) are often given the same tag. I don't have children so I can't say what I'd do if it happened to one of my own children, but I'd like to think if they have truly turned away there's a place for forgiveness for everybody.

I understand there are countless people who've been abused or have a love one who has been, and I think it's totally understandable to never be able to forgive. I'm not saying you're a lesser person. Nor, I think, should those who do forgive be made to feel guilty or that they condone or tolerate pedophilia.

I guess what it comes down to is: should they be shot/locked away forever, even if it was just one time, or should they be 'rehabilitated?' I mean like a murderer or rapist you never REALLY know, which is the disturbing part, but then again there are pedophiles lurking around who haven't committed an offence yet. I guess even if it's a 'sexual orientation' it's not one that society can tolerate, so maybe they could be given a chemical that removes their desire or castrated?
No, absolutely not.
My daughter was molested @ the age of 13 by her stepfather.
In court, he told the judge she swished about his home flaunting and teasing him.
He also told the court the reason he molested her was due to alcohol abuse.

He received a slap on the wrist.

IMHO, he should have gotten time and monitoring.

He had a no contact order for his own children, which he violated, and molested too.
The court did nothing because of lack of evidence, (children were too young to know any better and too young to give accurate testimony-toddlers)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies