Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 08:10 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times

Advertisements

Try as it might, the government is not succeeding in making enough people miserable, so it figures that the next best thing is to make people at least look the part. New Jersey is leading the way by banning smiling in drivers license photos, which will certainly be followed by other forms of government ID. The reasoning is to keep us safe, of course, through the use of advanced and expensive facial recognition technology that is led astray by a smile. At least we can take comfort in the moral of this story: if you don't want to get tagged by facial recognition technology, then put on a happy face!

N.J. bans big smiles from driver's license photos | NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 08:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Because your DL picture is now digital and goes into a Fed database and will be used for facial recognition.
This isn't new, just happened to make the headlines.

It was part of that DHS mandate on states where only part of the mandate went through.
I got a new DL last December when I moved. Usually they use the old picture when it's just a change of address but I had to get a new picture. I also had to take off my glasses and not smile. I did ask about the glasses because I wear them all the time and always had to have my DL picture showing them as well as that check box for corrective lenses.

The woman told me that glasses interfere with the facial recognition software as does a smile.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:30 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Not much to smile about today in NJ.. property taxes highest in the nation. Gas prices up, food prices climbing and of course unemployment high here too.

Our president sure smiles big.. and it is disturbing to see him lie and smile like the cat who ate the canary.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:26 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
I think this is an elaborate ploy by the state government of New Jersey to try to convince the population that people occasionally smile in New Jersey.

I do also find it a bit funny that this top-of-the-line facial recognition technology can be beaten by smiling.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:39 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
So, what if you frown? our twist your mouth? etc.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:15 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times
Can't make this stuff up. I think I'll grow a scruffy beard next time I have to renew my DL, then shave it all off right after. Take that, Big Brother!

My first driver's license, back in the early 1970's, was paper, slightly thicker stock than a typical business card. There was no photo at all. My buddy took an exacto knife and altered his age, because he wanted to be able to ride his motorcyle that was bigger than allowed by law for a 16-yr-old. He got pulled over several times and it passed muster.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:28 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,123 times
So, let me get this straight: People want the government to keep them safe, protect them from "evil doers," pursue criminals with all its might, etc.

Yet when government takes steps to do exactly that - by means of facial recognition software - then they are obviously going crazy?

Isn't that EXACTLY what people have been asking for? Or did "the people" neglect to think about the ramifications of demanding that government knows and keeps track of everybody in order to keep us safe?

These "rules" are coming to every state. Drivers licenses and passports, as official legal identification papers, are a given - but I am sure that there will be other ID documents (such as Green Cards) that will fall in line.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,918 times
Next picture I'm wearing a veil and invoking my religion! :grin:

Old 09-23-2012, 08:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
In the past they took mug shots of people they arrested.
Now we all get mug shots when we get our DLs

Old 09-23-2012, 08:45 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,427,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
So, let me get this straight: People want the government to keep them safe, protect them from "evil doers," pursue criminals with all its might, etc.

Yet when government takes steps to do exactly that - by means of facial recognition software - then they are obviously going crazy?

Isn't that EXACTLY what people have been asking for? Or did "the people" neglect to think about the ramifications of demanding that government knows and keeps track of everybody in order to keep us safe?

These "rules" are coming to every state. Drivers licenses and passports, as official legal identification papers, are a given - but I am sure that there will be other ID documents (such as Green Cards) that will fall in line.
No you did not get it straight. Giving up freedoms and being treated like cattle does not make us safe.
In this case the evil doers are our very government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies