Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which group do you find more pleasant to be around?
Liberals (Progressives) 27 40.30%
Conservatives (Patriots) 31 46.27%
The Politically Ignorant (Can't name any politicians) 9 13.43%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 08:43 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about political discussions. I mean just everyday get-togethers like drinks after work or barbeques.

I've found liberals to contain more subtle anger about their own country and to hold their noses quite high and to believe that they are smarter than Americans who don't live on the coasts. They do have a wider taste in food and music though. And liberals are more willing to travel and explore other cultures.

Conservatives tend to be far nicer and pleasant. They also are quick to volunteer time and energy to help a neighbor. On the other hand I've noticed conservatives are more ignorant about the world outside of their local area.

So liberals are better educated, arrogant and bitter while conservatives are far more decent as human beings but rather ignorant and perhaps dull.

Yeah that is the stereotype...but stereotypes are based on hard facts.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:54 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
I'm a conservative and I prefer being around anyone whose positive. Let me just say I don't care about politics when it comes to being around real people. I have friends from all walks of life. I have friends and family who are Democrats and Republicans and liberals and all over the spectrum. I just prefer to be around positive people because I am sick of the negative energy sweeping this country. So many people are negative and faithless nowadays. Conservatives, liberals. I'm a big believer in the law of attraction. So continually being angry and arguing about things is not my style. At least in real life. Anyone whose positive is good with me.

Last edited by allenk893; 09-22-2012 at 09:41 PM..

Old 09-22-2012, 09:07 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,563 times
After reading the OP's post, I had to vote in his/her silly poll. I have friends that are Republican, Democrat, Independent and the non-political. I enjoy debating, but I also just enjoy regular, non political conversations with all types of people. It's very easy to agree to disagree, because my friends are important to me, not their personal voting record. There are jerks at all ends of the political spectrum, regardless of affiliation.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:10 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Personally, I find your characterization of only conservatives as "patriots" offensive. Of course, the insinuation is that nobody else is, or can be, a patriot.

It's narrow-minded stereotyping like that which makes me prefer the company of my dog to real RWNJ's.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Personally, I find your characterization of only conservatives as "patriots" offensive. Of course, the insinuation is that nobody else is, or can be, a patriot.

It's narrow-minded stereotyping like that which makes me prefer the company of my dog to real RWNJ's.
Everyone is so offended by everything now-a-days.

I notice that you didn't mind that I failed to mark conservatives as progressives.

Interesting.

Can't reason be a progressive trait?

Old 09-22-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Everyone is so offended by everything now-a-days.

I notice that you didn't mind that I failed to mark conservatives as progressives.

Interesting.

Can't reason be a progressive trait?
How can a conservative be progressive when conservatism is regressive by its very nature?

The question is: Why label them at all? Both liberal and conservative are already label enough, aren't they?

Unless, of course, your intent was to offend.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
How can a conservative be progressive when conservatism is regressive by its very nature?

The question is: Why label them at all? Both liberal and conservative are already label enough, aren't they?

Unless, of course, your intent was to offend.
Strange how you've convinced yourself that conservatism is "regressive by its very nature".

Old 09-22-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Strange how you've convinced yourself that conservatism is "regressive by its very nature".

Conservatism is basically maintaining the status quo. Since life and the world moves on, remaining stationary IS regressing.

Get it now?

Old 09-22-2012, 09:23 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
I live in a liberal area but I find the stereotypes to be a little too trite. I am the first to point out liberal hypocrisy, but I find a lot of liberals to be very nice people, even if I find their politics frustrating.

If I lived in a more conservative area, I think I'd find a lot of conservative stuff annoying, too.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:24 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,178 times
I'm conservative and I have a pretty big mix of friends. My best bud from way back is very liberal. I personally think liberals are better to go out to dinner with but conservatives are better to have a beer with, if that makes sense. I feel lie I can be a little more crass around my republican friends though...my liberal friends just LOVE being offended on behalf of others which is irritating but all in all they are both good people. I feel like a lot of my friends are whatever they are for social issues only though. I'm an economist by education and a budget analyst and underwriter by trade so I feel like I base my decisions politically off my economics background which pushes me to the right but social issues don't really keep me up at night so maybe that takes away some of the cannon fodder for fights.

Anywho...they are both cool in their own right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies