Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:06 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
When going about your business on a typical day, results in the breaking of multiple laws, yes.
There are so many insidious laws now, you cant possibly know when you have violated one and its quite obvious the intent is to fine, not protect.
I call BS. I've been driving for 25 years and have one, ONE speeding ticket. Every other ticket in that time has been my fault - expired registration or inspection. So this is nonsense. Drive safely, keep within the speed limit or accept the consequence of speeding or unsafe driving, it's that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:23 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
I appreciate the work most cops do but lets call a spade a spade. Many officers are being pressed by their departments to write write write tickets to generate easy revenue, It's easier to target a working class person who has money to contribute who goes 15 mph over the speed limit, than to target some dirtbag criminal who will offer resistance and not contribute anything via targeted theft (speed traps).
15mph over the speed limit? mathematically impaired?

62 in a 35 is 27MPH over the speed limit, almost double the 15 you stated.

So, let's call a spade a spade. she was 8MPH away from doing DOUBLE the speed limit.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Speed traps are big business nothing more, nothing less! Keep burying your head in the sand!

Traffic Tickets Are Big Business
Of course they are. Don't play the game. Remember, the speed limit sign isn't a suggestion.. If you ACTUALLY obey the sign, you don't get a tkt.. It's an easy game to play and win, and one that would soon put speed traps out of business, if you simply drove the speed limit.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:49 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
I call BS. I've been driving for 25 years and have one, ONE speeding ticket. Every other ticket in that time has been my fault - expired registration or inspection. So this is nonsense. Drive safely, keep within the speed limit or accept the consequence of speeding or unsafe driving, it's that simple.
Same here. I received only one speeding ticket in my entire life, which happened when I just started driving. I was caught in a speed trap, and there were several cops who were pulling numerous cars over along with mine. I never got another moving violation ever again. Just a few parking tickets. I personally don't speed. I try to obey all traffic laws at all times.

People who intentionally speed should be ready to accept the consequences, like you stated.

That woman knew what the speed limit was, and she was driving almost double that limit.

Likely a judge will throw out one of the tickets, but I think she should still get the highest fine possible for speeding. She wasn't going just slightly over the limit. In my opinion, she should also have her license suspended for 30 days.

Maybe the two cops were feeling equally as angry at her when they each chose to give her a ticket? Maybe they wanted to send her a much "stronger message" than just one ticket would have done, and let the court deal with it afterwards.

Hopefully the lady will have learned a lesson from all of this, but I somehow doubt it.

I also doubt that was her only speeding ticket in 30 years.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Then don't drive 62 mph in a 35 mph zone -- she could have easily killed someone.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Is there not a law concerning being charged twice for the same crime? Or does it only apply to being tried twice if the didn't get you the first time.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:07 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How can you have too many cops??? I would gladly pay higher taxes to hire more. You can never have too many
Until they start tazering handicapped people for not getting out of their chairs, or shooting people because of some perceived threat. Then we all start wondering why there are so many cops, and why they aren't out trying to stop drugs and gangs.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:08 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Is there not a law concerning being charged twice for the same crime? Or does it only apply to being tried twice if the didn't get you the first time.
Double Jeopardy prohibits a defendant from being tried again on the same charge following acquittal or conviction. It doesn't apply here.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:17 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I think the thinking of people who support the police in this instance is rather bizarre, and a brief thought experiment will illustrate why.

Instead of speeding, let's say the person was charged with possession of stolen property. A car stereo was stolen and the police have evidence that the thief sold it to the defendant on September 15. The police don't recover the item from the defendant until September 22.

Would you really support the police charging him with possessing stolen property on September 15, then a new charge on September 16, then a new charge on September 17, and so on?

Or, if you think that's okay, would you support the police charging him with possession of stolen property at 9:00, and then, since he still possessed it an hour later, at 10:00, and then again at 11:00?

The person was driving too fast, but this is ridiculous.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How can you have too many cops??? I would gladly pay higher taxes to hire more. You can never have too many
I sincerely hope you're joking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies