Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 04:57 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,209,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yeah I did the math and 800 calories for one meal, 5 days a week, sounds about right. Those who need more have more outside of school. And just so you know, my kids didn't always like the food at school and sometimes forgot to bring food with them, in other word "they were hungry at school". And you know what? Being hungry for a couple hours isn't dangerous or bad. In fact, I'm kind of hungry right now but I'm not eating for 2 more hours.
My wife, who taught Home Economics and studied a bit about nutrition says that 800 calories is plenty but when I questioned her about athletes getting by till up to 7:00 while running most of the time she had to hedge a bit on that one. Seven hours without food and heavy activity may well not go along with that kind of feeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That is some good work by those kids. It really is a joke. Do you realize how much food is just being wasted because of this nonsense. They made a big deal at my kids school about how this year one vegie and one fruit is mandatory on all lunch plates and if the kids refuse them they are actually charged more. So they take it and throw it away. Can't make kids eat what they don't want.

Also as to the athletes passing out my oldest sons football coach told all the players to make sure they load up on energy bars and the like during the day or bring your lunch from home because the school lunches won't get it done. Actually said this at the pre season parents meeting too and shook his head while doing it because it's so ridiculous.
I love the fact that very few of our posters played football or volleyball in high school. They just can't understand that when kids throw away their food instead of eating it that they just don't get enough.

I explained in a post a few minutes ago how a buddy and I got plenty to eat in basic training and few of our people ever got to take part in that either. There are ways to get food but in schools they try very hard to keep kids from scooping food onto others trays.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:02 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,094,727 times
Quote:
Yeah I did the math and 800 calories for one meal, 5 days a week, sounds about right. Those who need more have more outside of school. And just so you know, my kids didn't always like the food at school and sometimes forgot to bring food with them, in other word "they were hungry at school". And you know what? Being hungry for a couple hours isn't dangerous or bad. In fact, I'm kind of hungry right now but I'm not eating for 2 more hours.
Yes, I was doing the math too and I think it comes out right. 2000 - 5000 a day. If lunch is 800 calories and there is breakfast and dinner. Where us the calorie count after that? pack a snack or two if it still isn't enough.

Have any of you been at a high school lately and taken a look at the kids? They are a much fatter bunch than when I was in school. It's disgusting. Who ever made the comment about the vegetables going to waste is right on. Not only do these kids eat too much, but they don't eat right period. Hunger? I don't think so.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:06 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,542,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
And the last part of your post lists the sickest part of all this. Kids have to be made to understand that fruit and vegetables are healthful. I think that parents should take care of that and they should be very unhappy with the federal government deciding what schools serve. My wife keeps saying that the federally supplied supplies of old aren't there any more. If they were kids could eat some of that excess cheese that there was always plenty of in the old days.

My Representative keeps talking about 80% of the farm program being for food assistance so surely they do have some for school kids to eat.

I wouldn't want to be a football coach who has to try to get anything out of a kid with only 850 calories to get him through the afternoon and through practice. I sure wouldn't want to have them stuffing down snacks as they dress for practice either. I think I ran my teams enough when I coached football that we would have had plenty of them puking all over the place after eating the kind of snacks most of them eat.

This whole thing has to do with the federal government taking over another part of what belongs to state government. Also, obesity has never been caused by what those kids eat in school but what they get outside their school lunches mostly at home.

In basic training for the Army a buddy and I who liked to eat always sat near the trash cans and before they dumped untouched food others offered it to us instead of throwing it away. Boy did I get lots of broccoli, carrots, peas and other vegetables like that. I was never hungry like those who would't eat what they gave us and had to go to the snack bar to supplement. I gained 10 pounds and lost an inch around my waist in that 10 weeks. The food was good and I loved those kids who hadn't been away from mom's cooking very long. I had learned to eat many things in 4 years in college and most of those school kids will do so when they get away from home. I don't know about 5th graders. They have a long time before they get away from home.
I'd venture to guess that most of these kids think homecooking is eating takeout or getting a box out of the freezer and sticking it in the nuker.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,836,530 times
These kids are not privileged I suspect.

The high school that made the video is in Sharon Springs, KS. About 35% of the kids are eligible for free lunches. There are only 83 kids in the school, so about 30 are eligible for free lunches. Note that the new guidelines are great for elementary school kids as the previous guidelines were too high. For teens though, the calorie intake needs to be higher. It's pretty simple in terms of how our bodies work.

There is a middle schools protesting by brown bagging and bringing their own lunches. That will help the kids get enough calories, but it is not going to *hurt* the lunch program. I would expect that it will save the taxpayers money.

St. Mark Students Protest New Federal Lunch Guidelines

The new guidelines for nutrition are here:

USDA Unveils Historic Improvements to Meals Served in America’s Schools

Note that there have *always* been guidelines for this program since it was started in 1946. Remember when Reagan tried to have ketchup declared a vegetable (it didn't happen exactly the way people remember it, but it was given as an option at one point). I don't see a problem with requiring healthier lunches, but I do see a problem with requiring kids to take things they will not eat.

New York City actually had less calories in their lunches than required prior to the new guidelines according to this article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/05/ny...uirements.html

Old 09-24-2012, 06:13 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
My wife, who taught Home Economics and studied a bit about nutrition says that 800 calories is plenty but when I questioned her about athletes getting by till up to 7:00 while running most of the time she had to hedge a bit on that one. Seven hours without food and heavy activity may well not go along with that kind of feeding.
I never saw HS athetes running most of the time. Most of the time they are still on their butts in class. There is time to eat snacks if they want to bring something. Nobody starves at school, they may not want to eat what's in front of them but I don't care.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I'd venture to guess that most of these kids think homecooking is eating takeout or getting a box out of the freezer and sticking it in the nuker.
I think you are sure enough right. I know that very few young women ever learned to cook and never have done so yet. Many of ours here in tiny town learned to cook and loved to do it during the first 25 years or so that my wife taught they to cook but the past few years cooking has become pretty non-existent since about all kids wanted to was use boxes. Many of the boys she got were good cooks but had learned to do so from the mothers she had taught to cook. Our foster daughter who has a boy of 13 does a good job out of boxes but usually just gets out a recipe book and has at it.

Schools have pretty much dropped cooking and sewing since most women don't sew either when it is actually cheaper to buy clothes for their kids than to make them themselves.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:16 PM

I should have brought this one in sooner but forgot this morning. Here is some more info about how parents and kids are griping. For instance, one of the favorite foods they served till this year were chicken nuggets and now they are off the menus. I remember when eating at the school cafeteria as a teacher my favorite thing was beef and noodles with mashed potatoes and usually peas. Of course, helpings of beef and noodles like they served would just not be allowed today. Yum, yum those things on top of the mashed potatoes I really loved. Of course, back then in the 1980s we always got home baked rolls with that meal. Dessert, who needed it with those things to eat?

You can see Michelle trying very hard to convince kids that the meals would be oh so good on this link. Don't miss it because kids seem to have managed to miss it.

Nation’s children push back against Michelle Obama-backed school lunch regs | The Daily Caller

Old 09-24-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I never saw HS athetes running most of the time. Most of the time they are still on their butts in class. There is time to eat snacks if they want to bring something. Nobody starves at school, they may not want to eat what's in front of them but I don't care.
You were never at one of my football practices. We didn't lose games because my teams tired in the 4th quarter. I really don't think you attended too many football practices when you were in school, did you?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
I live in one of the poorest regions of the USA and I never see a hungry kid -- at least not one so hungry he'd sell his iPod or iPhone to get food money. What I see in this very poor region of the USA is every kid has a cell phone.

What I see are kids who are getting fatter and fatter with cell phones that are getting thinner and thinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies