Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 04:33 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,215,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
To defend this nation. That is why I am against UN missions of any kind. Worl cop missions of any kind and or humanitarian missions of any time. They quite simply are not part of the mission.
They do join. With the understanding that their job is to defend their country. The breach is not on their part or by choice. The breach is from the civilian leadership.
This is where I disagree with you.
They know that there are wars in other countries and if they don't know what that entails, shame on them.
It is by choice, they join knowing what focus the US government has, it's all over the news.

Cut me a break, from the civilian leadership.
The president?
Yeah, Bush did a great job of that.
It's mostly to the war mongering generals.
I don't want a military dictatorship, apparently some do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Quite honestly what has he done for blacks and latinos? What has he actually done for anyone in "this" country?
I believe I responded to tinman's question.
Didn't bother to read it?

Old 09-26-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
If cigarettes, coffee and whatever other items that they shouldn't buy, is that just your opinion?? I would think that if such items were taboo why are they being sold? Who does the purchasing for the commissary? I'm sure you enjoy the discounts afforded to you by the US government, especially when you head home with your bags of commissary goodies.

If you find it so disturbing to see how YOUR money is being spent by those who serve in the military, go find a job where it would make your life a bit more comfortable seeing as how tightly wound up you are. I find it disturbing that you get paid with taxpayer money to work behind a counter, yet you have such contempt for those that serve our country and are willing to put their lives on the line.
You might want to look at the THREAD WHERE THAT WAS POSTED and take it in context.
Sheesh.
It wasn't this thread.
And it was absolutely in context in the thread it was posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You're the one who said you shop at the commissary which means you are either a military member, a military family member, a military retiree, or an overseas Department of Defense/DoDDS employee. Unless you are a cheater or a liar. I am assuming, even though we both know what that does, you are not one of the latter two.
BTW, it means more than that.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:28 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,802,601 times
The Vet vote? Well, not so fast in assuming a movement away from Obama....

Jon Soltz: Vets Retreating From Obama? Not So Fast

Old 09-26-2012, 09:05 AM

20,103 posts, read 16,056,602 times
I don't understand why more vets are not concerned about Obama trying to triple their tricare premiums.
Obama Thanks Military for Service by Tripling Tricare Premiums - Yahoo! News

Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,164,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
This is where I disagree with you.
They know that there are wars in other countries and if they don't know what that entails, shame on them.
It is by choice, they join knowing what focus the US government has, it's all over the news.

Cut me a break, from the civilian leadership.
The president?
Yeah, Bush did a great job of that.
It's mostly to the war mongering generals.
I don't want a military dictatorship, apparently some do.
Civilian leadership= our government at all levels of the fed.
As for fighting wars.
Wars in our defense are one thing. Wars in the defense of other nations????? Wars to build nations for people who don't want us there?
When we enlist we expect our leadership to not waste us, to use us wisely.Our oath does not mention UN missions. It does not mention humanitarian missions. It certainly does not mention nation building.
Unlike the civilian world where employers are held accountable for putting lives needlessly at risk our Fed gov answers to no one.
How is bombing Libya part of defending our nation against all enemies both foreign and domestic?
Civilian leadership looks upon those who serve as a tool to further their political agenda. That is not the purpose of our military.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:52 PM

58,637 posts, read 26,934,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There was no need to declare victory. Once the Baath Party was removed from power and Saddam was hung, we achieved our victory. Mission accomplished.
You are right. We shouldn't have declared victory in Europe when we won WWI or in Japan and Europe in WWII.

Formalities. Who needs them.

If the enemy doesn't surrender, how can you declare victory?

Old 09-26-2012, 02:07 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,373,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You are right. We shouldn't have declared victory in Europe when we won WWI or in Japan and Europe in WWII.

Formalities. Who needs them.

If the enemy doesn't surrender, how can you declare victory?
Easy, our original goal was accomplished. As tinman01 mentioned, the military should not be used for nation building. That is not their purpose. If they do not surrender then we kill them, and then they have no need to surrender. Like we did with the Baath Party and Saddam.

Speaking of formalities, we declared victory over Japan on August 9, 1945, but Japan did not formally surrender until September 2, 1945.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:13 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,568,720 times
Lightbulb Veterans Retreating From Barack Obama

Not this veteran.

Maybe others like a guy who never served and his five healthy service-age sons don't have a single day of service between them, but he's eager to start another stupid middle east war. So that their sons can be "patriotic" and go fight for Exxon and Halliburton while Romney and Cheney clean up on stock options.

Me?

Well, that just doesn't sound all that "patriotic" in my book.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,373,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Not this veteran.

Maybe others like a guy who never served and his five healthy service-age sons don't have a single day of service between them, but he's eager to start another stupid middle east war. So that their sons can be "patriotic" and go fight for Exxon and Halliburton while Romney and Cheney clean up on stock options.

Me?

Well, that just doesn't sound all that "patriotic" in my book.
So you would rather support a guy who never served and repeatedly violates his oath of office and the US Constitution. Well, now we know what your oath is worth - diddly-squat.

Any veteran who supports Obama is without honor and can never be trusted to keep their word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies