Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:41 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,093,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
More often wrong, in your opinion. More often right, in mine.

Given the fact that Bill heads up the most popular series on the most popular cable news network, he's probably got unlimited resources at his disposal to make certain he's getting it right.
What? Ha ha.

Great logic. But then again I'm not surprised.

Here you go. Read a little. Learn. I know it's hard if it isn't coming from BillO (but I promise you'll be fine).

Argumentum ad populum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 10:55 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
I loved it. Snoop's awesome.
He also has a criminal record. Sure setting a good example for kids, right? Real "awesome."

Old 10-07-2007, 11:04 PM

640 posts, read 461,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Ok, so you don't trust this survey. It's actually not far off however, and we DO have a snapshot of his "overall audience," from a study done by Neilsen/Annenberg comparing the two audiences after O'Reilly called Daily Show viewers a bunch of "Dopey Kids" and "Stoned Slackers":

In response to Bill O'Reilly's "stoned slackers" and "dopey kids" comments
during his September 17 interview of Jon Stewart on Fox News Channel's "The
O'Reilly Factor":

* The median age of "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" 11:00 p.m.
(premiere) airing is 35, while its median income is $67,000.

* The median age of "The O'Reilly Factor" 8:00 p.m. (premiere) airing is
63, while its median income is $54,000.

* Viewers of "The Daily Show" are 78% more likely than the average adult
to have four or more years of college education.

* Viewers of "The O'Reilly Factor" are only 24% more likely than the
average adult to have four or more years of college education.

* Viewers of "The Daily Show" are 42% more likely than the average adult
to have a household income of $75,000+.

* Viewers of "The O'Reilly Factor" are only 6% more likely the average
adult to have a household income of $75,000+.

* Viewers of "The Daily Show" are 26% more likely than the average adult
to have a household income of $100,000+.

* Viewers of "The O'Reilly Factor" are only 11% more likely than the
average adult to have a household income of $100,000+.

* Viewers of "The Daily Show" are 74% more likely than the average adult
to have a household income of $75,000+ and an occupation of
"professional, owner or manager."

* Viewers of "The O'Reilly Factor" are 15% less likely than the average
adult to have a household income of $75,000+ and an occupation of
"professional, owner or manager."

* Viewers of "The Daily Show" are 37% more likely than the average adult
to be in a "white collar" profession.

* Viewers of "The O'Reilly Factor" are 15% less likely the average adult
to be in a "white collar" profession.

Source: Nielsen Media Research
NPower - median age & income of "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" (11:00 p.m.), "The O'Reilly Factor" (8:00 p.m.)
Marketbreaks - "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" 7:00 p.m. & 11:00 p.m.
airings; "The O'Reilly Factor" 8:00 p.m. & 11:00 p.m. airings. Indexed
to total US population, 18+.

Bill O'Reilly Calls Viewers of 'The Daily Show With Jon Stewart' A Bunch of 'Stoned Slackers' and 'Dopey Kids' During Interview With Jon Stewart on 'The O'Reilly Factor'

Hard to argue with the "facts" huh?
You used a comedy hour to compare?? Interesting. I don't tune in to a comedy show / comedian to get my news, but hey, if that's what blows your skirt up - enjoy! :-)

And I notice the age of the supposed average age of Bill's audience is 63 versus 71. The other stats you provided show me that the working-class people of this country find Bill to be a credible provider of news. We working class don't have that much time for comedy. (I'm 46, a white female, college educated, make more than $54K per year and a white-collar professional. I don't watch The Daily Show but I fit the typical viewer. I'm a loyal O'Reilly viewer.)

Old 10-08-2007, 04:52 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Well, here is something. I'm not sure they track the ages as closely once they get over the marketing demographics they are looking for...what is the point, right?...but there seems to be a pretty common consensus the median age is "65+."

Stewart like O'Reilly is an entertainer. The differences between the two, other than that Stewart realizes he is an entertainer and O'Reilly takes himself seriously, are that he allows his interview subjects to speak without interruption and does not repeatedly cut them off from making any points, and also he provides actual news clips and then comments on them, rather than providing half truths and spin on issues.

[b]MSNBC’s research claims that the median age for Mr. O’Reilly’s audience is 71, while Mr. Olbermann’s is 59. (Fox and CNN both report that the only figures they get for median age of shows with older audiences is “65 plus,” and that Mr. O’Reilly’s audience falls into that category.)[/B]

MSNBC’s Star Carves Anti-Fox Niche - New York Times

Old 10-08-2007, 04:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
He also has a criminal record. Sure setting a good example for kids, right? Real "awesome."
O'Reilly has had his own legal troubles, and certainly has been caught either embellishing and distorting facts, or outright lying. Not a very good example for the kids.

Quote:
We working class don't have that much time for comedy.
This is an interesting point, though I am not sure what to make of it.
If I could not indulge my sense of humor, I don't think I'd want to live. Really.
Especially *these* days.
I (female, almost 53) watch the Daily Show because it is indeed entertaining, but Stewart pokes fun at liberals, too, not just conservatives.
O'Reilly seems so mean-spirited.
But there is plenty of ego out there, among all the newscasters.
Stewart and Colbert appeal to me because there is intelligence behind all that guffawing.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:36 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
You used a comedy hour to compare?? Interesting. I don't tune in to a comedy show / comedian to get my news, but hey, if that's what blows your skirt up - enjoy! :-)
Actually, if you'd like, I'll find that study that showed viewers of the Daily Show get as much or more "actual news" content than viewers of "real" news... despite the Daily Show's claim to being a "fake" news program. Or you can google it yourself.

Edit: Aww shucks, I feel like being a nice person. Let me provide you with some links:

It's no joke: IU study finds The Daily Show with Jon Stewart to be as substantive as network news: IU News Room: Indiana University

WorldNetDaily: No joke! 'Daily Show' substantive as network news

'Daily Show' news equal to networks'

Quote:
And I notice the age of the supposed average age of Bill's audience is 63 versus 71. The other stats you provided show me that the working-class people of this country find Bill to be a credible provider of news. We working class don't have that much time for comedy. (I'm 46, a white female, college educated, make more than $54K per year and a white-collar professional. I don't watch The Daily Show but I fit the typical viewer. I'm a loyal O'Reilly viewer.)
It's a cross section of the "average" viewer, Sooner_Nation. Just as you're probably not THE exact average height or weight of the average American woman, it doesn't change anything.

Oh, and I come from a working class family. Most don't have time to be informed or research news items on their own, so it's actually a very bad thing they look to ole' Papa Falafel for their news and views. They never will get the irony in the fact that he calls his program "The No Spin Zone."

Old 10-08-2007, 09:01 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
I enjoy the slant because he agrees with me most of the time, and Bill IS enjoyable to watch. Keeps the show hopping. However, I do not view him as a comedian. And that he is compared with Jon Stewart is interesting, and that educated people watch Stewart for their news is REALLY an enigma. I have friends, educated, very well to do, do exactly that. I don't get it, but....to each his/her own. Maybe there just isn't anything worthy to watch these days, with Lou Dobbs out and all.....

Old 10-08-2007, 01:33 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
O'Reilly has had his own legal troubles, and certainly has been caught either embellishing and distorting facts, or outright lying. Not a very good example for the kids.
He doesn't have a criminal record.

And, are you kidding? Using the wacko, anti-O'Reilly mediamatters as a "source?" I don't think you could have picked a more biased source! They have already failed with their attempt to "get" O'Reilly a few weeks ago with that restaurant thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies